Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New VM Business service - 350Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New VM Business service - 350Mb

Old 21-04-2017, 23:41   #1
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
New VM Business service - 350Mb

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...d-service.html

So not massively more expensive than Vivid 300, although I guess this is probably Exc VAT.

Most interesting is the idea of a static IP, probably better support, and more priority on the network... could solve contention issues?
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2017, 13:05   #2
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New VM Business service - 350meg

> more priority on the network.

This hasn't actually been stated anywhere by VM. ISP review appear to have made it up.

If you're not a leased line customer you get the same contention issues as any home customer.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 15:44   #3
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

> I was told this news on a call with VM Business yesterday, so it has some credence.

My bad - I had tried to confirm this last year and they didn't say there was priority. In the comments of the ISP review article it was also said that VM hadn't stated it.

I'll trust them if they've told you directly

> Support is very good especially in the evenings when the engineer you talk to will actually login to the CMTS while you are on the phone and diagnose with you on the line.

Much better than normal VM support then - quite tempting really.

Do you know if VM business customers who aren't using a fixed IP/routed subnet option are stuck with a hitron puma 6 router or is there an option to use your own DOCSIS 3 modem?

edit: The post I replied to has mysteriously vanished. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by nallar; 22-04-2017 at 15:48.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 15:56   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallar View Post
> I was told this news on a call with VM Business yesterday, so it has some credence.

My bad - I had tried to confirm this last year and they didn't say there was priority. In the comments of the ISP review article it was also said that VM hadn't stated it.

I'll trust them if they've told you directly

> Support is very good especially in the evenings when the engineer you talk to will actually login to the CMTS while you are on the phone and diagnose with you on the line.

Much better than normal VM support then - quite tempting really.

Do you know if VM business customers who aren't using a fixed IP/routed subnet option are stuck with a hitron puma 6 router or is there an option to use your own DOCSIS 3 modem?

edit: The post I replied to has mysteriously vanished. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The prioritisation was mentioned in conjunction with new services not existing....

Support is indeed excellent - can't fault it to be honest. All UK based and knowledgeable on the services. A I say in the evenings you get to talk to the engineer directly. During the day they log it and you get a call back.

The business services are only supplied with the Hitron now which is Puma 6 based. They rolled out a firmware upgrade to it in the past couple of weeks. On Tuesday this week I went from 12 to 16 downstreams due to an area upgrade, which often seems to trigger the Puma 6 spike in latency, but my graph is great still so wondering if the Puma6 firmware fix was part of this upgrade.

The original 50 Mb/s fixed IP service was provided on a version of the Superhub 1 with business firmware that had the fixed IP options, but all speeds are now provided on the Hitron.

Sorry I made the foolish mistake of using Internet Explorer with this forum and tried to add to my post which resulted in it vanishing!
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 18:15   #5
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be very happy to pay more... if the upload was better.

300Mb is absolutely fine for us. But 20Mb upload is still a little limiting.
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 19:12   #6
vsn
Inactive

vsn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
The prioritisation was mentioned in conjunction with new services not existing....

Support is indeed excellent - can't fault it to be honest. All UK based and knowledgeable on the services. A I say in the evenings you get to talk to the engineer directly. During the day they log it and you get a call back.
I don't know if this is the same support you get with the 50M service, but I'm less than impressed, both with the support and with the product.

For example, I've been trying to get port forwarding to work with the Hitron on dynamic IP and all the time they promise to call me back, they don't, and the ticket gets closed after a few days. And you cannot call back and talk to the same person. IF they do call back, you have to explain the problem again, then they say they'll look into it and call you back!
vsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 19:21   #7
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

ok your experience clearly differs from mine - support I have had has been excellent.
Old 24-04-2017, 09:44   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

What about STM on business lines? I haven't looked at it in a while, but last I checked business lines had sort of inverted STM, where it was heavily monitored during "peak" residential times but unlimited during business hours. What's the case these days?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 10:04   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
What about STM on business lines? I haven't looked at it in a while, but last I checked business lines had sort of inverted STM, where it was heavily monitored during "peak" residential times but unlimited during business hours. What's the case these days?
AFAIK it is still the case. What it will be with this new offering remains to be seen.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 22:14   #10
ccarmock
cf.geek

I plan to ask that question soon - will let report back here. When I pushed on current services I was told STM will kick in during 'off peak' business hours (their definition!) after 13 GB has been downloaded. No details on how long the window is and what the restriction is.
Old 02-05-2017, 22:37   #11
ccarmock
cf.geek

Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

As planned the new services launched today:-

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...ess-broadband/

Finally launching with multiple static IP addresses in the routed subnet option, that was previously available on the SH1 based 50 Mb/s service.
Old 02-05-2017, 22:41   #12
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda wondering if you can get it as a home user
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 22:44   #13
ccarmock
cf.geek

You can indeed - I have the 200 MB/s with 5 static IP addresses now. Last week I had a call to offer an upgrade to 350 MB/s.
Old 02-05-2017, 22:48   #14
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

No reason why you can't as far as I know.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
You can indeed - I have the 200 MB/s with 5 static IP addresses now. Last week I had a call to offer an upgrade to 350 MB/s.
Can you confirm what (if any) traffic management exists on this?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 22:53   #15
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post

Can you confirm what (if any) traffic management exists on this?
I am waiting on a call back about this. During normal business hours no but outside that the older services did have STM. It would kick in after 13 GB was downloaded outside business hours. As soon as I hear more I'll report back here.