Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

BT Infinity installed

Old 28-01-2012, 17:42   #46
loopfish
Inactive

loopfish can only hope to improve
Re: BT Infinity installed

loopfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-01-2012, 17:53   #47
Nicosia
Inactive

Nicosia is an unknown quantity at this point

so what connections do you get from infinity? I thought they where going to offer 100mbit?
Nicosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 17:59   #48
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicosia View Post
so what connections do you get from infinity? I thought they where going to offer 100mbit?
Their 100mbps product is FTTP which is only available in a few areas. The 40mbps product they offer is on FTTC which will be doubled to 80mbps in the next few months.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 12:57   #49
Nicosia
Inactive

80 is good.. but the fibre lines seemed to have made a huge difference and you can be much further away from the exchange to receive these speeds cant you
Old 29-01-2012, 18:15   #50
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I think Bt infinity comes to me in june..I might choose that..rather than Virgin

Hoping it is better for gaming
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 20:49   #51
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

My virgin connection has been utterly pathetic since the new year. Engineer visit altered power levels to no effect. At peak times jitter goes brought the roof and packet loos is around 10 - 20% but can get higher.

Will be switching to BT infinity I think just to make Xbox live work.

J
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 06:00   #52
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
My virgin connection has been utterly pathetic since the new year. Engineer visit altered power levels to no effect. At peak times jitter goes brought the roof and packet loos is around 10 - 20% but can get higher.

Will be switching to BT infinity I think just to make Xbox live work.

J
That was my reason for leaving virgin...my xbox live game play was rubbish, and I had 50. Even though I only get about 10 from sky...my games are better. I begrudged paying virgin if they couldn't give me decent game play, as i don't download much.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 09:36   #53
loopfish
Inactive

loopfish can only hope to improve

BT Infinity is a world apart from VM's shambles...seriously, at peak times on 10Mb VM, I couldn't even view Youtube videos properly, without suffering breaks and rebuffering...that's been going on for about the last year with Virgin in my area, forcing me to switch to BT at the beginning of this year, and oh my god - what a change! I can now game in the evenings without having to keep running pingtests to see if it's even worth trying to play online!
BT is constant, smooth, and transparent...perfect for gaming...and having 10X the upstream is nice too :-) Had been playing Battlefield 3 one evening - a good session - then noticed afterwards that uTorrent had been running all the time, but as the connection was so good, I didn't even notice it affecting the gameplay at all!
As for throttled P2P, just schedule your app to run overnight! Not difficult.
loopfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 15:35   #54
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

As posted in this thread: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63...e-checker.html

Openreach are now estimating updated speeds for customers, has yours gone up or down?
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:07   #55
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
As posted in this thread: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63...e-checker.html

Openreach are now estimating updated speeds for customers, has yours gone up or down?
I get about 35-37mb down and 6.5mb up on a very good day
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:15   #56
Nicosia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
I get about 35-37mb down and 6.5mb up on a very good day

is that hot gaby from DH on your avatar?

But back on topic how far from the exchange are you if you dont mind me asking? I imagine you can be a lot further then with the copper lines but it would be nice to see what distances people are and still being able to achieve those speeds

and on another separate note lion 10.7.3 was released today, apologies for going off topic
Old 02-02-2012, 20:04   #57
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I don't think the distance from the exchange matters with fibre, at least certainly not anywhere near as much as it does with ADSL. The crucial thing is instead the distance from the cabinet.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 20:21   #58
Nicosia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I don't think the distance from the exchange matters with fibre, at least certainly not anywhere near as much as it does with ADSL. The crucial thing is instead the distance from the cabinet.

so if you are far away from one even with cable or adsl then you get poor speeds?

I am glad that I have one not even 20 feet from my house.

On this side of cambs I am 2.2km from the exchange and its nice to know that from only being able to receive 11mbits max that I would get a lot more if I ever decided to get a bt infinity connection along side my VM one
Old 02-02-2012, 21:43   #59
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

This is simplistic, and someone with more tech knowledge may come along and correct / expand on this, but... AFAIK...

ADSL: DSLAM at the BT Exchange >>copper phoneline>> your home.

BT Infinity FTTC: BT Exchange >>fibre>> DSLAM at the street cabinet >>copper phoneline>> your home.

With ADSL, the whole connection from the exchange to your home is via the copper phoneline. The longer the line (& the poorer the quality of the line), the slower the speed. The cabinet distance doesn't matter, it's the whole length of the line from the exchange which is the issue: the copper phoneline length.

With FTTC, the connection from the exchange to the street cabinet is via fibre, with only the final bit from the cabinet to your home using the copper phoneline. The length and quality of that copper phoneline is still a factor, but... it's generally a hell of a lot shorter than the distance via the copper phoneline all the way from the exchange to your home if you had ADSL.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 21:52   #60
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Yawn.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
This is simplistic, and someone with more tech knowledge may come along and correct / expand on this, but... AFAIK...

ADSL: DSLAM at the BT Exchange >>copper phoneline>> your home.
[SEPH]: Correct

BT Infinity FTTC: BT Exchange >>fibre>> DSLAM at the street cabinet >>copper phoneline>> your home.

With ADSL, the whole connection from the exchange to your home is via the copper phoneline. The longer the line (& the poorer the quality of the line), the slower the speed. The cabinet distance doesn't matter, it's the whole length of the line from the exchange which is the issue: the copper phoneline length.

With FTTC, the connection from the exchange to the street cabinet is via fibre, with only the final bit from the cabinet to your home using the copper phoneline. The length and quality of that copper phoneline is still a factor, but... it's generally a hell of a lot shorter than the distance via the copper phoneline all the way from the exchange to your home if you had ADSL.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote