Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Infinity installed

Old 20-12-2011, 18:08   #31
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: BT Infinity installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
So after 1 day of testing, here is what i think so far... and im comparing this to my VM 30Mb connection.

Page loading is a lot more responsive and noticeably sharper. Streaming is much more smooth, no buffering at all on 4od or iplayer, and 1080p HD videos on youtube load fully within about a minute. great speeds on bittorrent, and im able to upload at around 760KB/s which is the highest i've seen so far. i've noticed ping is lower usually on BT too.

Overall from this experience so far i'd recommend BT Infinity over VM 30Mb.

This is my result from BT infinity wireless

This is my respect from VM 30Mb wired

I'd also like to point out that i get a very slight increase on speed on BT if i connect to wired, goes to around 31Mb/s also.
And from a gaming perspective, have you noticed any difference ?
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2011, 18:19   #32
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
And from a gaming perspective, have you noticed any difference ?
Im not sure yet as i dont play games on xbox etc..., but my brother does and he's still connected to the VM connection, i'll get him to connect to BT and have him test it out and get back tomorrow.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 20:33   #33
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Im not sure yet as i dont play games on xbox etc..., but my brother does and he's still connected to the VM connection, i'll get him to connect to BT and have him test it out and get back tomorrow.
Cheers Zee

Much obliged
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 23:54   #34
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
I want unlimited anytime calls,BT line rental and BT infinity top pack and BT Vision Gold pack for about £30. They won't do it, they won't get my custom, it is unreasonable for the price they are asking for considering BT Vision is freeview,BT Infinity goes as high as 13mb around here and voip like vonage give you better value.
Wow how dare they not let you pay the price you want to for their services rather than the standard price everyone else pays. Disgraceful.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 22:28   #35
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

I switched off the he whole set today and connected my own netgear router to it, and now on any channel i pick it wont go above around 20Mb does anyone know why this could be?

when i was using this same router on VM the other day i was getting full speeds with it...

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

EDIT:

i changed back to the BT Hub and all is back to normal again... strange.

As for gaming, someone asked, my brother said he didn't notice any difference, there was no lag and games were smooth.

Taking everything i posted into consideration, BT Infinity is superior to VM in all ways most people use their internet connection for, especially if you're able to get as close to 40Mb as possible and even the 100Mb service.

I've had no problems with their so called traffic management, am able to upload at 800KB/s or more even during peak, evening hours and downloading is totally fine too.
Old 28-12-2011, 14:20   #36
Zee
Inactive

So these are my final results im guessing, upload is slightly below predicted speed but still fine with me, this is on wireless, down speed goes to about 31Mb when connected with wired, upload remains same.

Old 29-12-2011, 02:12   #37
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

have you set up a TBB graph for this?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 23:21   #38
shopaholic
Inactive

shopaholic is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks zee...i am also considering infinity after going through ur posts...

one worry is that their service isnt widespread yet and hence if i move house sometime next year there is always risk of moving to a house without infinity coverage...hmmm...
shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 15:35   #39
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopaholic View Post
thanks zee...i am also considering infinity after going through ur posts...

one worry is that their service isnt widespread yet and hence if i move house sometime next year there is always risk of moving to a house without infinity coverage...hmmm...
What you have to realise taking advice from one person's opinion is not always a good thing, what ever problems that Virginmedia have BT and others will have the same as well as other individual ones.

This forum is mainly highlighting a few individual customer issues as well as varying opininions as to why these are happening.

Sky,BT,VM ECT will have issues and there will also be many more customers of these that have a brilliant service.
Old 31-12-2011, 19:04   #40
shopaholic
Inactive

shopaholic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
What you have to realise taking advice from one person's opinion is not always a good thing, what ever problems that Virginmedia have BT and others will have the same as well as other individual ones.

This forum is mainly highlighting a few individual customer issues as well as varying opininions as to why these are happening.

Sky,BT,VM ECT will have issues and there will also be many more customers of these that have a brilliant service.
well in my case there arent many options..
at my street/address virgin and other providers can only provide national BB and max speed possible is 3-4 mb.. and i am with virgin national BB now...

but as of this month BT infinity has started coverage in my street and it gives 25mb + speed according to my telephone number check.

in fact i dont have any options other than infinity if i need a decent speed.

so i was just checking how people find infinity service....
and thanks a lot zee again for updates...
shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47   #41
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

BT Infinity is fine. I have VM 50 meg as well. Since they resegmented my area, VM 50 is Schmite for gaming; Infinity is perfect.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33   #42
loopfish
Inactive

loopfish can only hope to improve

I am switching from VM 10MB next Tuesday (the last half-year has become utter -MOD EDIT- for gaming/streaming video):

Got Option 2 BT Infinity ordered - estimated speeds 35.5/10MBit. Will post some test results of that once installed.

Mod edit - Please do not attempt to bypass the swear filter
loopfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:22   #43
lowei
Inactive

Services: BT INFINITY sky hd
lowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
If anyone knows, as i've tried looking. Is there anyway to check which maximum speed im being allowed to get to? i know on Sky you can log in and check.
Hi Zee try this http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ link for BTs own speed test and it also tells you your ip profile, which is your maximum download and upload speed you can achieve.

And pabscars its great for gaming
lowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 02:38   #44
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

could those who have infinity with TBB graphs set up please post them?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 17:29   #45
Nicosia
Inactive

Nicosia is an unknown quantity at this point

That is pretty good for adsl... thanks for sharing your speed test results
Nicosia is offline   Reply With Quote