Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Sky's broadband is shocking

Old 04-03-2012, 21:53   #1
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Sky's broadband is shocking

I have been getting terrible broadband speeds since l arrived in Fareham a week ago and the supposed top speed of 20Mb is nothing more then a distant dream as the speed l have been getting is around 1Mb and all l can say say is be very wary of their broadband as the two experiences l have had so far have been nothing short of shocking so my advice is be wary of some of these other broadband providers as yes you might be unhappy with Virgins broadband but believe me its in a different world to Skys and thats a fact.
Old 04-03-2012, 21:59   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky's broadband is shocking

Which Sky Broadband service is it?

Sky Broadband Connect (non-LLU, re-sold BT Wholesale ADSLMax) is widely thought to be crap.

However, Sky Broadband Unlimited (Sky's LLU service) is widely thought to be excellent.

If you have Sky BB Unlimited, and the speeds are poor, then it will be due to...

1) DLM running on a new connection. Give it a chance to adjust during the training period.

2) The length of your line. This is nothing to do with Sky, and you'd have the same issue with any other ADSL ISP.

3) The quality of your domestic phone wiring. This is nothing to do with Sky, and you'd have the same issue with any other ADSL ISP.

I've had Sky BB for years now, and it's rock solid. £7.50 for truly unlimited broadband, with no usage limits, no FUP... and no STM Sure, I only get around 6Mbps, but that's because of my line length, not Sky - it'd be the same with any other ISP... but without the low price and lack of limits.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:00   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Works perfect for me , my 9mb Sky line achieves all the things my 30mb VM BB could not , like video streaming , gaming etc , plus anyone with a fibre upgraded exchange will soon be able to enjoy unlimited 40mb BB from Sky.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 22:08   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

denphone, have you looked into why you are getting poor speeds?

How is your router connected? Master or extension?

Have you tried the test socket?

What are your router stats?

Have a look at these...

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-routerstats.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 23:17   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I was going to say the same - modem stats first.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 23:38   #6
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

I have been saying that since day 1, but nobody ever listens, although I was tempted a few times.

Like they say, the grass is not always greener on the other side!

So I guess your gonna call 0500-500-500 and order Virgin Broadband again
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 00:28   #7
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

I currently have both Sky and VM bb (VM lowest package bb). When I used to live in West London, I would have said VM bb is not to be sniffed at. But since I moved to Berks the bb has been nothing more than average. IMHO average just isn't good enough for VM. For the price I pay for VM I should really be getting full speed all the time. Around here if I stream on my PS3 then the speed goes down plus the modem I got is terrible for wifi.

With Sky I have been streaming plus downloading right from day 1 (when they started me off on 4mb) and not once have they messed me around. Personally, I don't care for quoted speeds. I want a service that just does its jobs. With VM, if you stream a couple of shows in HD then expect the round circle on I-player to carry on spinning with no show to watch. On Sky I just download show after show to my planner and no issue. I have been getting episodes of Boardwalk Empire in HD and watching iplayer in HD too at the same and tbh I was expecting issues from my time with VM but on Sky it just worked.

For prople that it works for, VM is the best thing since sliced bread. For everyone else it is an overpriced piece of junk.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07   #8
Vicki
Permanently Banned

Vicki can only hope to improve

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser then USERNAME admin PASSWORD sky and post your stats.

Sky eould never have told you to expect 20mb. They would have given a reasonable estimate. Also post a speedtest result.

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

I must add my Sky connection seems perfect so far only a couple of days but absolutely perfect. Apart from training issues early on.
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
denphone, have you looked into why you are getting poor speeds?

How is your router connected? Master or extension?

Have you tried the test socket?

What are your router stats?

Have a look at these...

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-routerstats.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html

l am only up here for a couple of weeks so its my parents who l worried about and the first thing is their broadband is Sky Broadband Connect and secondly they live about 8 miles from the exchange and thats all l know as l am not a expert in this field..

And here is a speed test below.

Quote:
Mon, 5 Mar 2012 06:52:45 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 21770 ms = 47 KB/sec, approx 387 Kbps, 0.38 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 25184 ms = 40.7 KB/sec, approx 335 Kbps, 0.33 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 25892 ms = 39.5 KB/sec, approx 325 Kbps, 0.32 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 44432 ms = 46.1 KB/sec, approx 380 Kbps, 0.37 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 357 Kbps, 0.35 Mbps
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08   #10
Vicki
Permanently Banned

Vicki can only hope to improve

Ahhhhh Sky connect does not use Sky's network it's just a rebranded Bt ip resale. Sky's llu product is completely different. I don't know why sky bother with connect its useless an harms the reputation especially when the LLU product is so good.
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l am only up here for a couple of weeks so its my parents who l worried about and the first thing is their broadband is Sky Broadband Connect and secondly they live about 8 miles from the exchange and thats all l know as l am not a expert in this field.
You don't need to be an expert to follow simple instructions and use a web browser

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Ahhhhh Sky connect does not use Sky's network it's just a rebranded Bt ip resale. Sky's llu product is completely different. I don't know why sky bother with connect its useless an harms the reputation especially when the LLU product is so good.
What he (she?) said.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:47   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Latest news on tbb on Sky's issues

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5...ed-issues.html
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:16   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Good to see there's a fix date for those affected Exchanges.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:41   #14
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

My service is fine...and better than Virgin could give me..re gaming

i will wait for Infinity...give them a try for a year
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:48   #15
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

I think it all depends on a combination of your ISP and your location. With VM I've had all at the same time 2x laptops (one of them streaming video, the other chatting on line), a PC updating a website (including graphics). Plus one PS3 playing on line, and 4 mobiles. All of this without even the slightest glitch.

But some people on VM complain about terrible service.

And the same can be said for most ISP's, some people get good service, and some get terrible service.

So let's stop all the 'my ISP is better than yours', and try to work together in trying to find the cause, and the solutions for any problems that people may have.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote