Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Old 'Tivo' boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Headends.

Old 19-03-2010, 21:18   #1
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack
Headends.

Might sound a daft question but with all this talk about NGTV upgrades and headends but what do these headends look like are they like a cab or like a big building?.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2010, 21:43   #2
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one
Re: Headends.

I have often wondered the samething, I just imagined them to look like somekind of server room.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 22:31   #3
darren.b
cf.addict

darren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about themdarren.b has a spectacular aura about them

I am absolutely sure Google will know. I searched for "cable headend" and chose images and well...mystery solved.

*cough*
darren.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 22:33   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

A fairly big building. Think of an average-sized supermarket.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 23:18   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Used to walk past the Hemel Headend on my way to work. Three large sat dishes and a mast with an array of TV and radio antennas. Looks in a bit of a state now, and I think VM will probably de-commission it now analogue is switched off. All the digital kit is in an office building about 1/2 mile down the road.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 23:28   #6
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
Might sound a daft question but with all this talk about NGTV upgrades and headends but what do these headends look like are they like a cab or like a big building?.
as spiderplanet said there more less the size of big tesco store, ive been in one it quite impressive
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 23:32   #7
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

I saw the Cardiff one from the outside and went actually in to another one in Cardiff just big rooms with lots of servers.
Old 20-03-2010, 15:36   #8
JHM
Inactive

Services: VM VIP 100 package V+ PVR TiVo PVR 3View PVR
JHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about them

Many years ago, in the days of Cambridge Cable, I had the opportunity to visit inside our Cambridge headend and very impressive it was too. Outside there was a fair size dish farm nestling between the building and the railway lines.

The most impressive bit of kit inside was the telephone switch, rows and rows of shiny cabinets – took me back to the late 1950s when mainframes were the size of squash courts!
--John
JHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 15:40   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The one in Leeds (as was Jones Cable, Bell CableMedia, C&W Comms, NTL, and now presumably VirginMedia) was just in the same room as the servers (DEC Alphas and WinTel, mainly), just like a big server room full of cabs and cables (in '94, we had to switch our mobile phones off if we went into the room).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 18:19   #10
kinchyuk
Inactive

kinchyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

My knowledge may be a little rusty and out of date, but..

Lewisham

Croydon

Bromley
kinchyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 23:15   #11
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

A couple of shots of Virgin Baguley in case the Google map camera thingy doesn't work.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?layer=...EclKFqZFxH3lUQ

Last edited by joglynne; 12-09-2017 at 20:41.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 23:16   #12
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Interesting reticule on the first photo, I wonder if someone was lining up a shot?
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 23:21   #13
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Naw, it's just the Google cross hairs. Any of our members working there need have no fears that it was the sight on any thing more lethal that my inability to move it out of the screen shot.
Old 20-03-2010, 23:44   #14
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Langley. The centre of Virgin's universeImage Langley Headend.jpg
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 11:53   #15
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Langley. The centre of Virgin's universeAttachment 19812
Be careful! The CIA might be on your case.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote