Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 07-11-2016, 18:03   #1066
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Kabaal, you are forgetting that most do not have additional gadgets enabling them to watch Amazon and other streaming services on their TVs.

However, whether they do or not, this enables you to watch all these on demand services from one box. If Virgin add a good quantity of streaming services on their new V6, the need for all these boxes to get maximum TV choice will be unnecessary.

Not only do multiple boxes clutter up your lounge but it can work out quite expensive.
You are talking as though it takes multiple boxes to get the different streaming apps, it doesn't. You can get 4k Netflix, 4k Amazon, Now TV and all the usual catch ups on a single box that fit's in the palm of your hand costs half the price of what a monthly fee for the V6 would over a year.

If it doesn't have a monthly fee then great, none of this matters and i'd be happy to replace my tivo with one, but if you are trying to convince me that £10 a month (or however much) is better than paying £70 for a tiny box that can do all that anyway you are wasting your time. In a years time if Virgin has exclusive 4K content then that would be a different matter, but right now they don't.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2016, 18:48   #1067
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
You are talking as though it takes multiple boxes to get the different streaming apps, it doesn't. You can get 4k Netflix, 4k Amazon, Now TV and all the usual catch ups on a single box that fit's in the palm of your hand costs half the price of what a monthly fee for the V6 would over a year.

If it doesn't have a monthly fee then great, none of this matters and i'd be happy to replace my tivo with one, but if you are trying to convince me that £10 a month (or however much) is better than paying £70 for a tiny box that can do all that anyway you are wasting your time. In a years time if Virgin has exclusive 4K content then that would be a different matter, but right now they don't.
We don't yet have any information from Virgin that an additional monthly fee will apply. Just an installation fee and an activation fee.

By the way, what 'tiny box' are you referring to? With Now TV on it?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 19:01   #1068
scollie
cf.member

scollie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen a few posts asking whether the V6 needs the superhub 3 to work but I haven't seen anyone confirm this - can anyone who has had one installed confirm this?

I currently have the superhub 2, does anyone know whether VM will update this automatically to SH3 if I get a V6 or will I have to pay to have it upgraded? (Assuming it is required for the V6 to work!).
scollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 19:08   #1069
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I doubt you will need a Hub 3.0 as it is likely that the V6 can be used with other broadband suppliers product.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 19:28   #1070
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

I've just called faults as every recording is corrupt now and the agent checked and confirmed the drive had many bad sectors. I'm booked in for a replacement on Friday but pretty certain it'll be another TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As I explained, if they do not make adjustments for disabled customers as per the requirements of the Equality Act ie pick the equipment up and then go on to try and charge me for it, this would make a very interesting court case.
Not being funny but I'm tetraplegic, wheelchair bound with no finger and limited arm movement. I still go out either by myself, with a friend or with a carer so a box could easily dropped off. Do you never go out?

Unless you are totally housebound or so severely disabled you physically can't take a box out of the house I doubt there would be any court case.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 22:14   #1071
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I've just called faults as every recording is corrupt now and the agent checked and confirmed the drive had many bad sectors. I'm booked in for a replacement on Friday but pretty certain it'll be another TiVo.

Not being funny but I'm tetraplegic, wheelchair bound with no finger and limited arm movement. I still go out either by myself, with a friend or with a carer so a box could easily dropped off. Do you never go out?

Unless you are totally housebound or so severely disabled you physically can't take a box out of the house I doubt there would be any court case.
Everyone else has managed to move on from the off topic comments.

It was a non issue anyway as VM had agreed to collect my box, but I'm staying now in any case.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 07-11-2016 at 22:22.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 23:02   #1072
Paddy63
Inactive

Services: Tivo 1tb, V+, 100meg
Paddy63 is an unknown quantity at this point

The V6 will work with the shub2 as a minimum. If you want a V6 and have a shub1 you will be upgraded to a shub3.
Paddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:35   #1073
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

By the way, what 'tiny box' are you referring to? With Now TV on it?

I'm guessing the one you have, a Roku stick, costing ATM £27.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:49   #1074
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'm guessing the one you have, a Roku stick, costing ATM £27.
That's not 4k though. The new PlayStation can do 4k and has Now TV on it but is not a tiny box. And you can't put Now TV on Amazon devices or Android devices so they're ruled out too. Apple TV is not 4k. What else is left?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:54   #1075
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That's not 4k though. The new PlayStation can do 4k and has Now TV on it but is not a tiny box. And you can't put Now TV on Amazon devices or Android devices so they're ruled out too. Apple TV is not 4k. What else is left?
What do you mean? I have now tv on my phone and tablet, both android.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:10   #1076
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I actually thought you could have it on the AFTV but turns out you can't.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:25   #1077
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What do you mean? I have now tv on my phone and tablet, both android.
Agreed. Sorry for my poor wording, I was talking in the context of TV boxes. As I understand it, you can't get Now TV on Android TV boxes.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:53   #1078
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I actually thought you could have it on the AFTV but turns out you can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Agreed. Sorry for my poor wording, I was talking in the context of TV boxes. As I understand it, you can't get Now TV on Android TV boxes.

There is a way to load Now TV onto the AFTV, but it is the phone app and thus low quality.

Given that a Now TV box is fifteen quid, I don't get what the fuss is about. it is also available via LG bluray players.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 17:51   #1079
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/3251600

New board regarding the V6 on the Virgin community.

We're currently running a technical pilot which is why some of you very lucky people will have one installed at the moment.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...p/Virgin_TV_V6

Last edited by dodgem22; 08-11-2016 at 17:55.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 19:49   #1080
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...d/td-p/3251600

New board regarding the V6 on the Virgin community.

We're currently running a technical pilot which is why some of you very lucky people will have one installed at the moment.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...p/Virgin_TV_V6
So all we know from this info is it's UHD and a bit faster.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote