Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My Connection...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

superhub only works with wireless

Old 04-03-2012, 18:21   #1
gbone
Inactive

gbone is an unknown quantity at this point
superhub only works with wireless

Hi,new to the forum and not much of a computer guy.

Had virgin installed yesterday but have had a problem from the start.The hub was set up by a technician who seemed in a bit of a rush to be honest he asked me to check the wifi on my phone then left.

I can not get any connectivity using ethernet cables,been on the phone to virgin for about 5 hours yesterday and lets just leave the verdict as useless and frankly unhelpful.

I have tried a ps3,my pc (with a new network card thanks to virgins advice)nd a pretty much brand new laptop and all of them when wired say no connectivity,yet wirelessly everything is spot on got 35Mb download whilst ps3s were also being used.

I took the same equipment to my nephews who also had virgin installed yesterday and everything worked instantly when wired.

I assume I just have a faulty hub but virgin keep telling me the hub is fine and there is a problem with my network card(on three seperate devices!!!}.

This is insane I expect the hub to work and get spoken to like an idiot when trying to get an answer from customer services.

Has anyone else suffered this or know the solution?
gbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 18:32   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: superhub only works with wireless

call up and tell them your power supply is making a high pitch noise as though its about to blow. that should ger you a new SH in through the post.

they will tell you to switch your SH off. ignore them.. get a new SH ordred and put the phone down
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:38   #3
gbone
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
call up and tell them your power supply is making a high pitch noise as though its about to blow. that should ger you a new SH in through the post.

they will tell you to switch your SH off. ignore them.. get a new SH ordred and put the phone down
Is it possible I just have a faulty hub because nothing else makes sense.

I even put it in modem mode and still the same no connectivity symbol.

If I get a new hub and it happens again I am clueless even a few friends who know their way around this stuff havent got a clue,yet customer services keep insisting my pc is at fault,even though ive had the exact pc on 50Mb superhub before
Old 04-03-2012, 18:48   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

you wont know until you get a replacement SH. call vm again and tell them your power adapters making a high pitch noise.

unless all your ethernet cables suck... ?
Old 04-03-2012, 18:49   #5
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Is it possible I just have a faulty hub because nothing else makes sense.

I even put it in modem mode and still the same no connectivity symbol.

If I get a new hub and it happens again I am clueless even a few friends who know their way around this stuff havent got a clue,yet customer services keep insisting my pc is at fault,even though ive had the exact pc on 50Mb superhub before
yes it sounds liek you do havea faulty one techincall suport are wrong if more than 1 device isnt working and the device is confiremd workin on another connection then it the rotuer that at fault in this case shub

can you go to your pc and bring up the ip information and tell me what ip address it is i think you will find it is a 169.254.*.* address which means teh ports or dhcp isnt working but since your getting ip address on the wireless then it will mean teh ports are faulty

thenry suggested a 2waay to make sure youg et it replaced he wasnt suggesting it wasnt faulty

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
you wont know until you get a replacement SH. call vm again and tell them your power adapters making a high pitch noise.

unless all your ethernet cables suck... ?
mmm i forgot about that one, try the same ethernet cable on your mates/cousins and see if it works if it does then it beyond a doubt it is the shub
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:50   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Not heard about it, though I don't have a Superhub (yet).

I'd first try resetting it via the pinhole at the back, also do any of your devices have static IP settings by any chance? What were they connected to before?

Lastly, I should point out 35mb download isn't "spot on" anything. If you're on the 30mb service, you should be getting 30-32mb, if you're on the 50mb service you should be getting 50-53mb. 35mb isn't in either of these ranges.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:55   #7
gbone
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Not heard about it, though I don't have a Superhub (yet).

I'd first try resetting it via the pinhole at the back, also do any of your devices have static IP settings by any chance? What were they connected to before?

Lastly, I should point out 35mb download isn't "spot on" anything. If you're on the 30mb service, you should be getting 30-32mb, if you're on the 50mb service you should be getting 50-53mb. 35mb isn't in either of these ranges.
I also said there were 2 ps3s online and doing whatever at the time as well as the wife doing bits on the phone.reset numerous times tried everything they told me.like I say even in modem mode its exactly the same

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
yes it sounds liek you do havea faulty one techincall suport are wrong if more than 1 device isnt working and the device is confiremd workin on another connection then it the rotuer that at fault in this case shub

can you go to your pc and bring up the ip information and tell me what ip address it is i think you will find it is a 169.254.*.* address which means teh ports or dhcp isnt working but since your getting ip address on the wireless then it will mean teh ports are faulty

thenry suggested a 2waay to make sure youg et it replaced he wasnt suggesting it wasnt faulty

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

mmm i forgot about that one, try the same ethernet cable on your mates/cousins and see if it works if it does then it beyond a doubt it is the shub
Yeah I get the 169.254 one,i have tried 4 cables the brand new one he left yesterday and 3 of my own pretty much brand new.

Wireless seems perfect on everything else
Old 04-03-2012, 18:56   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Still not close - PS3's shouldn't be taking more than half a meg each, unless doing huge downloads, and I'm not sure what your phone has to do with it, VM broadband does not come through your phone line. IP phones will be using less than a tenth of a meg.
Old 04-03-2012, 18:59   #9
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I also said there were 2 ps3s online and doing whatever at the time as well as the wife doing bits on the phone.reset numerous times tried everything they told me.like I say even in modem mode its exactly the same

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Yeah I get the 169.254 one,i have tried 4 cables the brand new one he left yesterday and 3 of my own pretty much brand new.

Wireless seems perfect on everything else
teh hub is broke, 169.254.*.* is private ip for when ther eis no dhcp or if the ethernet of the device, or the other device or cable is bust, sicne you have ruled out yoru comptuers and cbales then it the rotuer and you have ruled out dhcp
Old 04-03-2012, 19:02   #10
gbone
Inactive

Quote:
Still not close - PS3's shouldn't be taking more than half a meg each, unless doing huge downloads, and I'm not sure what your phone has to do with it, VM broadband does not come through your phone line. IP phones will be using less than a tenth of a meg.
I meant she was downloading some stuff on the phone not calling someone,plus the ps3s were downloading updates which are pretty big files and I assume use some bandwidth.

Why the attitude in your answers?

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
teh hub is broke, 169.254.*.* is private ip for when ther eis no dhcp or if the ethernet of the device, or the other device or cable is bust, sicne you have ruled out yoru comptuers and cbales then it the rotuer and you have ruled out dhcp
Thanks virgin will be told in a pretty straightforward way I want a new hub I am not having another 5 hours of to and fro
Old 04-03-2012, 19:04   #11
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
I meant she was downloading some stuff on the phone not calling someone,plus the ps3s were downloading updates which are pretty big files and I assume use some bandwidth.

Why the attitude in your answers?

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Thanks virgin will be told in a pretty straightforward way I want a new hub I am not having another 5 hours of to and fro
just hope you dnt get someone who is forced to use there scritp and doesnt have much techincally knowledge to overrule it otherwise you will get told the same, if they dnt they use thenry way say your gettign very funyn noises from teh power supply and yoru conerned abouta fire
Old 04-03-2012, 19:04   #12
thenry
Inactive

sunday customer service is legendary.. NOT!

dude just tell the narrowminded agents via 150/151 your power supply is making a high pitch noise. youll get a new SH sent out. having said that call back tomorrow to make sure its sent out. some of those agents havent got a bloody clue!
Old 04-03-2012, 19:06   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Why the attitude in yours? You've completely ignored my suggestions for a solution because you'd rather defend your connection as "spot on" when it isn't?

Have you even tried resetting the Superhub?

Either you've got a faulty superhub - reset it and you'll know for sure - or you don't - reset it and you'll know for sure. Crying to VM without even bothering to find out if the Superhub is faulty or not first is just a waste of everyone's time, including your own.
Old 04-03-2012, 19:10   #14
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Why the attitude in yours? You've completely ignored my suggestions for a solution because you'd rather defend your connection as "spot on" when it isn't?

Have you even tried resetting the Superhub?
reset is unliekly to work on sucha crappy device but it is wortha shot if it doesnt work he needs a new shub
Old 04-03-2012, 19:11   #15
gbone
Inactive

Thanks for the advice.guys,dont worry ill get one I only tolerated the **** yesterday to be nice,my wife hates me on the phone but I was on my best behaviour

And youre right customer services is a joke you can almost see the flow chart in front of them,at one point after being told my network card was broke after buying a new one,i then asked him to explain how a ps3 and a new laptop also do the same,yet work elsewhere,he said "well I tried to help" and left it at that