Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | H&S Issues with NTL Distribution Box!!!???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

H&S Issues with NTL Distribution Box!!!???

Old 22-07-2011, 21:37   #16
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all
Re: H&S Issues with NTL Distribution Box!!!???

Sorry Kymmy but as jb66 says the telco line voltage is 40-45 volts and 75volts when ringing. None of the Telewest kit i have ever come into contact with has been 90 volts.

As for cable modems broadcasting RF, yeah maybe they do but at such a small level it will be irrelevant.

To the OP, if you use a mobile phone a lot, there is your problem. I would strongly suggest you use the loudspeaker on your phone all the time instead of clamping it to the side of your head. Also use a handsfree car kit if you use your phone on the move.

If any RF leakage is coming from a cable box, it will be too small to cause you any headaches and going through a wall just makes it even more unlikely.

The other thing you might want to look at/for is do you live right by a mobile phone base station? If there is one less than 100meters from your place, this would be a much more realistic thing to look at/investigate.

HTH
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-07-2011, 21:54   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
Sorry Kymmy but as jb66 says the telco line voltage is 40-45 volts and 75volts when ringing. None of the Telewest kit i have ever come into contact with has been 90 volts.
I'm probably thinking of BT lines then..

Getting back on topic though myself and a lot of people have stated that the OP is more than likely to get more radiated energy from mobile/dect or other devices.. It is though probably going to be more of a "worrying too far" approach and although it's very unlikely that the radiated energy will cause issues you'll always get people who will worry about such things.. (a bit like those living near power lines, mobile phone masts..etc.. even where the field strength in minimal )
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 23:22   #18
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Does radiation even cause headaches?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 23:30   #19
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Open for debate as to the effects, some research points towards effects by low doses of EMR where others state that even high doses is safe.. We've all been told in the past that mobile phones may or may not cause brain cancer..

I think that study is limited and in this case it might just be worry more than anything that's causing the symptoms..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 01:00   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I never said anything about broadcast. Or wireless. Or putting 100 cable modems in a lockbox. You're both making stuff up?

Ringing voltage may be 75-90v AC depending on country. 75v RMS is about 105v peak to peak, 90v would be about 130v peak so again, where am I wrong?

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
It can for some people. Just like noise or computer screens can cause headaches for some people and not others.

---------- Post added 23-07-2011 at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was 22-07-2011 at 23:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
75v AC is still >100v peak-to-peak.

Quote:
As for cable modems broadcasting RF, yeah maybe they do but at such a small level it will be irrelevant.
You can't say that for everyone. Things that are so "irrelevant" to have no effect on one person can kill another. Everyone responds differently.

Quote:
The other thing you might want to look at/for is do you live right by a mobile phone base station? If there is one less than 100meters from your place, this would be a much more realistic thing to look at/investigate.
Again more misdirected paranoia about mobile phone masts. Your neighbour across the street using their mobile phone will expose you to more radiation than a base station 100m away. As would someone's wireless network through on the other side of a wall.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 09:36   #21
Benade70
Inactive

Benade70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Wao, all gone over my level of intellect/humour from Tin foil jokes to some serious RF/Wiring tech discuss! Appears there are different schools of thoughts on this issue and academic research is not conclusive. As one has only one life and these big organisations sometime suppress the truth from their R&D due to financial reasons I will take "Pauls9" advise as the real life sensible approach and actually use the room as a study & storage and move sitting far from that wall as sensible, that way common sense will prevail and miss out use of one room kind-off , better than being boxed up ...joys of modern living I'd say...

Thx all....
Benade70 is offline   Reply With Quote