Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I know I'm a sinner but......

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Internet and PS3

Old 12-11-2009, 13:00   #1
Denise El-hamasy
Inactive

Denise El-hamasy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Internet and PS3

Hi Guys, My boyfriend has a PS3 and wants to be able to connect to the internet via it. The problem is we don't get have the internet in ur flat yet, and he's adamant he doesn't want a phone line. I know I can't use the USB stick (orange, T-mobile etc) because it's not through a PC/Laptop and I am REALLY confused. I had a quick read through some of your answer for related questions but could'nt find one specifically for my problem. Does anyone know what I should do or if it's even possible to do this without a phone line.
Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Denise
Denise El-hamasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2009, 13:04   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Internet and PS3

The only way you'll get broadband without a 3G dongle (not that itd be useful at all on a PS3) or a phone line is from Virgin Media and that depends entirely on whether your flat is cabled up or not.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 13:06   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Welcome to the forums. The forum you posted this in is for articles only, so would have prevented other people answering.

I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

As for your question, there are a few possibitilites.

Does one of your neighbours have a wireless connection they are willing to share with you? It may be possible to connect the PS3 to that.

Also, if you have a PC or Laptop for the mobile broadband, it may be possible to use a crossover Ethernet cable to connect the PS3 to that, and use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to share the mobile connection. Be aware that the PS3 could transfer enough data to break any usage allowance though.

Finally, is cable broadband an option? It doesn't use a phone line..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 13:22   #4
Denise El-hamasy
Inactive

Thanks Graham. As far as I'm aware we don't have the correct cables in our flat, we've only be in a few weeks and I'm trying to get all the electrical stuff up and running, but when your as non-technically minded as I am, it's easier said than done! Thanks very much for your response.

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Hi Stuart, Thanks you for re-directing my question, this is the first time I've posted anything on a forum (that doesn't involve shoes or clothes-shallow I know!) I don't think sharing with our neighbours is an option-we don't really know people well enough to ask. I have a Mac that has internet (t-mobile usb) could I use a ethernet cable to connecyt that to the playstation?
Cable braodband would be a viable option but I've just had freesat installed and the dish, would that make a difference? (sorry, I really have no idea when it comes to things like this) Thank you so much for your help.
Old 12-11-2009, 13:54   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You could but with the low speed and high latency on a 3G Dongle, it would be all but useless, yes you could surf the web and download game addons (slowly) but there is no chance it'd be any good for online gaming.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 16:30   #6
Denise El-hamasy
Inactive

Thanks Graham. Much appreciated