Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

Old 14-03-2017, 13:16   #16
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
IMO, Jon Bentley always seems like a Virgin "fan boy" so I don't see how you get that impression.

They still haven't reviewed Sky Q on the Gadget Show yet but now about a year later they're reviewing the V6...hmm.

Just really hating the new "old Top Gear style" of the show.
It ruined car reviews and it's now ruining gadget reviews with this "old-hat style" of reviews.
Yeah i think it was Jason that was apple biased no idea why i thought sky lol, john i find is very good and open with his reviews.
I don't like Craig Charles it feels like he is forcing it for me the camera panned to Ortis when Craig was talking and Ortis had a "wth" expression on his face, the new gal is ok i thought plus nice on the eye lol.
I don't like the new format either but will give it a chance to get used to it at least they seem to have got rid of those stupid challenges, however they've copied someone on youtube with the blender lol.
At least they are trying to make it work though.
Personally i find Swipe and Click better shows.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2017, 17:44   #17
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: V6 independent review to take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I do wonder if VM have decided that a 1TB box is sufficient now that you can stream the programmes you want to see later from on demand services. They may also be contemplating access to the cloud to retrieve material later and this might well be the method they want us to use for UHD recordings when they are available on schedule based channels.

I have a Sony 4K TV but have not seen any green screen issues, but maybe the later Sonys don't have this problem. It seems to me that technology is moving ahead so fast that when you change once piece of equipment, sometimes this causes a compatibility problem for your older equipment.
Not used virgin's on demand service. When I was with sky there was never anything on catchup that I wanted to watch (re-runs of live sports matches)

Are they available on virgin?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:09   #18
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Don't say that, lol. I always get told I look like Jason!

He was the only thing that kept me watching as he was so enthusiatic about tech.

I still wise Suzy Perry would comeback :-)
Totally agree Jason was always enthusiastic about new tech and in my opinion always gave generally balanced reviews.

Suzi Perry , Pollyanna Woodward , Ortis Deley , Jason Bradbury and John Bentley was when it was at its best in my opinion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:45   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
IMO, Jon Bentley always seems like a Virgin "fan boy" so I don't see how you get that impression.

They still haven't reviewed Sky Q on the Gadget Show yet but now about a year later they're reviewing the V6...hmm.

Just really hating the new "old Top Gear style" of the show.
It ruined car reviews and it's now ruining gadget reviews with this "old-hat style" of reviews.
Don't think it was on when Q came out.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 22:47   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Just watched the review and the overall opinion was "slightly disappointing for £55 a month".

Here is a roundup:

Good- improved speed. VM claim that it's 10 x faster than the old TiVo and this was accepted. Has Netflix (but not Amazon). Packages slightly cheaper than comparable Sky packages.

Could be useful- ability to record 6 channels at once for families watching diverse material. Being able to press a button on the box to locate the remote control.

Bad- Less channels, 4K content & VOD than Sky eg Broadchurch wasn't available on VM.

The Telly Tablet was particularly slated. It had a large screen and a useful stand, but a really low & tinny sound which was described as "terrible".

The actual mechanics of watching programmes wasn't good. The interface was said to be less slick than Sky Q, many shows weren't available, you can only play back off one of the two TiVos.

The actual streaming didn't work very well eg kept stopping.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 23:09   #21
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Content issues for the most part aren't connected to whether it's a Sky Q or a V6. If Sky has an exclusive deal with ITV, then there's nothing VM can do about it.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 01:56   #22
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just watched the review and the overall opinion was "slightly disappointing for £55 a month".

Here is a roundup:

Good- improved speed. VM claim that it's 10 x faster than the old TiVo and this was accepted. Has Netflix (but not Amazon). Packages slightly cheaper than comparable Sky packages.

Could be useful- ability to record 6 channels at once for families watching diverse material. Being able to press a button on the box to locate the remote control.

Bad- Less channels, 4K content & VOD than Sky eg Broadchurch wasn't available on VM.

The Telly Tablet was particularly slated. It had a large screen and a useful stand, but a really low & tinny sound which was described as "terrible".

The actual mechanics of watching programmes wasn't good. The interface was said to be less slick than Sky Q, many shows weren't available, you can only play back off one of the two TiVos.

The actual streaming didn't work very well eg kept stopping.
Doesn't sound very balanced to me! Were they as hard on the Sky Q, which has been subject to numerous customer complaints?

I'm well pleased with my 2 V6s, which communicate with each other with no problems.

What planet are these children on? I thought that they knew something about new technology!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 02:41   #23
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Watching the programme it would seem Jon Bentley has been using Sky Q in main room and has a hybrid LNB as he seems to have a freesat (white Sky+) in his second room.

His views seem slightly Sky-skewed as that would seem to be the box he has been using for the last few months.

It seems he has had Virgin 50Mb or 100Mb BB with a Sky Q TV package for last few months and from sounds of it he won't be switching.

Does it really take 2 installers to setup a V6 box?

6 recordings (coming soon) on Sky Q 2Tb while still watching live tv on 3 TV's and up to 4 tablets why would you choose any other service?
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 09:44   #24
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Not for the V6 itself, but two are required if cables need to be pulled.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 12:00   #25
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Watching the programme it would seem Jon Bentley has been using Sky Q in main room and has a hybrid LNB as he seems to have a freesat (white Sky+) in his second room.

His views seem slightly Sky-skewed as that would seem to be the box he has been using for the last few months.

It seems he has had Virgin 50Mb or 100Mb BB with a Sky Q TV package for last few months and from sounds of it he won't be switching.

6 recordings (coming soon) on Sky Q 2Tb while still watching live tv on 3 TV's and up to 4 tablets why would you choose any other service?
Whereas you can already record 12 programmes at the same time with 2 V6s as well as enjoying all the Tivo features that many of us really appreciate.

I wonder how many households would actually use 7 screens at any one time to watch their telly? That's some addictive behaviour, what?
Old 18-03-2017, 12:19   #26
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I wonder how many households would actually use 7 screens at any one time to watch their telly? That's some addictive behaviour, what?
Where as recording 12 simultaneous channels isn't.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 12:31   #27
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Each to their own MM as remember the world is full of different people who have different tastes and habits and don't tend to take the same genetic clone approach to everything.
Old 18-03-2017, 12:36   #28
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Ha ha! As you have probably guessed, I was commenting on the statement that Sky Q had capability to record 6 programmes at the same time (coming soon), as if that was an advantage over the V6s!

And for the avoidance of doubt, I cannot ever see myself recording 12 channels at the same time, particularly having regard to a declining number of programmes worth recording these days.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 18-03-2017 at 13:06.
Old 18-03-2017, 12:53   #29
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ha ha! As you have probably guessed, I was commenting on the statement that Sky Q had capability to record 6 programmes at the same time (coming soon), as if that was an advantage over the V6s!

And for the avoidance of doubt, I cannot ever see myself recording 12 channels at the szme time, particularly having regard to a declining number of programmes worth recording these days.
I said earlier in the thread that the gadget show were sky fans.
What i saw i liked of the v6 tbf i think it has great potential and with correct updates etc it will be a very strong competitor for a long time.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:28   #30
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I said earlier in the thread that the gadget show were sky fans.
What i saw i liked of the v6 tbf i think it has great potential and with correct updates etc it will be a very strong competitor for a long time.

As an ex sky subscriber (17 years) who has recently switched to v6:-

There are far more errors reported on SkyQ.

Well used features from skyHD were omitted from SkyQ software (much to chagrin of many users)

Errors are minor on V6 when compared to those on SkyQ.

Virgin seem a bit more open with regard to admitting errors exist than sky (who often deny any such problem is known to them, do not pre-advise what problems are to be fixed in upcoming releases - or when release is happening)

Without doubt both systems are an Improvement when they work.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote