Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are you having subtitle problems?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Are you having subtitle problems?
View Poll Results: Are you having subtitling problems?
Yes, please state which box in thread. 7 31.82%
No. 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2017, 20:57   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Are you having subtitle problems?

Lately, I've been having problems with the subtitling across various channels.

- Sometimes they are out of synch; either appearing before or after the person has spoken.

- Sometimes they sporadically come and go. When they aren't present, sometimes the info says that no subtitles are available and at other times it says that they are, but that doesn't always mean that they are present.

- If I'm skimming through a programme, I like to FF the recording on minimum speed as this still shows the subtitles so I know what's going on. Increasingly, after the first couple of sentences have been spoken, the service stops. This can sometimes be remedied by going back into play mode and pressing FF again.

I noticed this start with my old TiVo and it's now getting worse with the V6.

I don't recall any issues with my old V+, so maybe it's box specific.

Before I log this as a fault, I'd like to find out if this is affecting other customers.

Thanks for your help.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2017, 21:37   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Are you having subtitle problems?

You perceive you have a problem. Why does it require anyone else to tell you they don't have a problem before you log it?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 22:09   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
You perceive you have a problem. Why does it require anyone else to tell you they don't have a problem before you log it?
Because i'm not sure if it's my own set up that's the problem or not.

If it's not, VM may be being complicit in making various broadcasters be in breach of their licence to broadcast.
Old 03-03-2017, 22:39   #4
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Or it could just be a fault.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:12   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I guess it's because he wants to start yet another campaign against Virgin Media. Maybe my speculation, but he has form. Just look at all his other posts.

One of these days, Richard will have a genuine problem, and like the boy who cried wolf, no-one will be listening, because everyone will be fed up with this constant attention seeking from an individual with an extreme attitude of entitlement.

Richard - if you have a genuine problem with your service, just report it to Customer Services. That's what the rest of us do, and we get the issues resolved. Maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes I feel that these price hikes are down to you raising so many issues that they need to employ an army of staff to deal with them.

You must be pummeling your remote control all day to find all these 'faults' that you can publicise on these forums. If you used the service normally (ie just to access and record your programmes as the rest of us do) you would probably encounter no problems at all.

Maybe you just need to get out more. Now, it's spring, so no more excuses!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:44   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Several programmes across several channels often start with subtitles that vanish after a commercial break. And I often get the subtitles being many seconds late on programmes that are not live transmissions.

Tivo.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:14   #7
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

I don't think anybody would say not being able to watch a recorded programme at double speed with subtitles is not meeting a broadcasters licence commitments, or even a fault. Are the subtitles present when played at normal speed?
multiskilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 17:51   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I guess it's because he wants to start yet another campaign against Virgin Media. Maybe my speculation, but he has form. Just look at all his other posts.

One of these days, Richard will have a genuine problem, and like the boy who cried wolf, no-one will be listening, because everyone will be fed up with this constant attention seeking from an individual with an extreme attitude of entitlement.

Richard - if you have a genuine problem with your service, just report it to Customer Services. That's what the rest of us do, and we get the issues resolved. Maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes I feel that these price hikes are down to you raising so many issues that they need to employ an army of staff to deal with them.

You must be pummeling your remote control all day to find all these 'faults' that you can publicise on these forums. If you used the service normally (ie just to access and record your programmes as the rest of us do) you would probably encounter no problems at all.

Maybe you just need to get out more. Now, it's spring, so no more excuses!
Your rudeness is deteriorating, perhaps this behaviour is reserved for severely disabled people as you follow them round the forum? I have never started a campaign of any sort against VM.

Do you not think that those with hearing difficulties should be able to enjoy watching the television?

This thread was created to ascertain if there is a fault on the system or not. Who started it, why they started it and if they should have started it are wholly irrelevant.

As at this moment in time, it looks to be a platform fault.

Instead of trying to be clever, you could try to be helpful to disabled people and check your own STB and then vote.

If you aren't prepared to be helpful and just want to make my life more difficult, I think it's time you either stopped interacting with me or put me on ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Or it could just be a fault.

Cheers

Grim
Exactly, that's what I'm trying to find out. I was thinking that it might have been a problem with my HDMI lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
I don't think anybody would say not being able to watch a recorded programme at double speed with subtitles is not meeting a broadcasters licence commitments, or even a fault. Are the subtitles present when played at normal speed?
I agree, but the fault is present at normal speed.
Old 06-03-2017, 20:06   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, thus far it doesn't seem to be just me or everybody else either.

It's about 50/50.

I'm wondering if those who say that.their subtitles are fine have tried them for any length of time? Just briefly turning them on will show that they are working!

Thanks to everybody who took the time to vote.
Old 06-03-2017, 21:19   #10
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Come on, it's nowhere near 50/50!!
It's 7/4 in favour of NO - that's more like 65/35.
You should get a job as Nicola Sturgeon's PR guy.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 23:43   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

There was over an hour between our posts.

Have those with this problem noticed it affecting any particular channel?

When it happened on the V+ it used to affect Channel 5. I don't remember the TiVo doing it, but on the V6 it seems to be mainly Channel 4 and Channel 5 as well as other channels on occasion.
Old 12-03-2017, 23:15   #12
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Only problem I have with subtitles is that they switch themselves back on ever now and then.

Minor irritence really
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 00:55   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Only problem I have with subtitles is that they switch themselves back on ever now and then.

Minor irritence really
I think that this could be connected as sometimes they switch themselves off when they are actually needed.

The poll is now roughly 2/3 no and 1/3 yes. I wonder if those who are saying that they haven't got any problems have just checked by switching them on to see if they are working?? If this is the case, they would appear to be working normally a lot of the time.

Apart from coming and going on the subtitle availability screen, the problem arises when they are switched on and they keep failing.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-03-2017 at 01:00.
Old 13-03-2017, 08:34   #14
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

They might not be available for every programme.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 18:54   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

True, but they come and go and this is affecting PSB channels at peak time.

Yesterday there was another anomaly that I noticed. The information screen said that subtitles were not available, but they were actually present!