Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 05-01-2017, 18:05   #2551
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

I can't remember from when TiVo launched but I seem to remember that a big thing of the TiVo over V+ was that the TiVo knows if a series link changes from say BBC to ITV and it will pick up the change and start recording on the new channel. Having just had two V6s installed I've been setting up series links for my dad. If you set up a series link+ for say doctors and the channel is set to BBC one under the series link+ will it still pick up series changing channels or does the option of what channel to record on have to be set to all?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2017, 18:30   #2552
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollie View Post
When I booked a V6 before Xmas I was given a date of 3rd March for installation but told that I could check back for a cancellation after the New Year. I rang up yesterday and am now scheduled for 13th Jan.
I'm in the Croydon/Sutton area.
Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call and see if they have a closer date available now.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 18:33   #2553
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I can't remember from when TiVo launched but I seem to remember that a big thing of the TiVo over V+ was that the TiVo knows if a series link changes from say BBC to ITV and it will pick up the change and start recording on the new channel. Having just had two V6s installed I've been setting up series links for my dad. If you set up a series link+ for say doctors and the channel is set to BBC one under the series link+ will it still pick up series changing channels or does the option of what channel to record on have to be set to all?
You have misremembered. TiVo Series Links have always been tied to a single channel until recently (when the option of "All" channels was added).

Perhaps you were thinking of WishLists? They have always been channel-independent
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 18:39   #2554
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You have misremembered. TiVo Series Links have always been tied to a single channel until recently (when the option of "All" channels was added).

Perhaps you were thinking of WishLists? They have always been channel-independent
So in order to get Tivo or the V6 to check if series change channels it has to be set to all? Maybe I'm thinking the one thing TiVo had over the V+ was that TiVo recorded every series from that channel were V+ had to have every series manually inputted. Was that a thing?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 21:39   #2555
Rjs37
Inactive

Rjs37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Maybe I'm thinking the one thing TiVo had over the V+ was that TiVo recorded every series from that channel were V+ had to have every series manually inputted. Was that a thing?
Pretty much. I still own both boxes so it's a little easier to compare.

The series recording on Tivo is pretty smart and picks up new seasons / second half of a season, schedule changes and knows which episodes have/haven't recorded.

Whereas on V+ it'll generally fall over if the time of the program gets changed - or at least that's been my experience with it over the years. It'll consistently fail to pick up a TV show returning after the new year or brand new seasons starting up again.

The other great part of Tivo is how you can search for programs, list episodes and see if its coming up in the schedule or if its on demand. Finding on demand content on the V+ can be a real pain.
Rjs37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:34   #2556
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollie View Post
When I booked a V6 before Xmas I was given a date of 3rd March for installation but told that I could check back for a cancellation after the New Year. I rang up yesterday and am now scheduled for 13th Jan.
I'm in the Croydon/Sutton area.
Do you not ask yourself, how come they can suddenly offer me a slot TWO MONTHS earlier?

Me thinks it isn't selling as much as they would like...
Old 06-01-2017, 06:55   #2557
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Do you not ask yourself, how come they can suddenly offer me a slot TWO MONTHS earlier?

One suspects you cannot substantiate that then?.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:15   #2558
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

I suspect they are finding installs are much quicker than anticipated.
Swap out of two boxes at home only took the engineer at most an hour.
My parents had a new V6, new modem and box moved with new wiring needed and it still only took the engineer 1 and a half hours.
I get the impression that VM had allowed more time for the installs and are now finding that in a lot of cases they can get more done a day than originally planned.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:30   #2559
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Or there really was a cancellation or more engineers available.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:10   #2560
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Well i think the fact of no 4k material unless we pay extra ain't attracting customers
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:22   #2561
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Well i think the fact of no 4k material unless we pay extra ain't attracting customers
I doubt that. There is plenty to like about the v6 quite apart from the UHD.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:51   #2562
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I doubt that. There is plenty to like about the v6 quite apart from the UHD.
Amazing how all the malcontents and doomsayers seem to proliferate at a speed faster then sound OB.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:59   #2563
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just had my new Virgin V6 box installed, but when going through my Marantz 7010 receiver it says

"This content cannot be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2" and I only get sound

If I connect the V6 box direct to the TV then it work fine. I have tried various combinations of rebooting with no success. Is there a special input or setting I need to use with my receiver
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:41   #2564
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWB View Post
I have just had my new Virgin V6 box installed, but when going through my Marantz 7010 receiver it says

"This content cannot be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2" and I only get sound

If I connect the V6 box direct to the TV then it work fine. I have tried various combinations of rebooting with no success. Is there a special input or setting I need to use with my receiver
Unfortunately not, probably the AMP doesn't support HDCP 2.2 (my own Yamaha 4k AMP doesn't)
The only solution is to plug the v6 into the TV on a port which supports HDCP 2.2 and then run sound into the AMP via a optical cable.
That's how I have mine configured and it works perfectly fine

I have googled the model of your AMP and it does seem to support 2.2 so you maybe either need a software update or only 1 port of the AMP supports it

Last edited by jonandmarkuk; 06-01-2017 at 13:51. Reason: Included info from Google search
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:52   #2565
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Or there really was a cancellation or more engineers available.
Or they got an engineer in another part of the country to help out in an area of peak demand as you all have impeccable taste.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote