Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL "Customer" support - 10Meg performance drop :/

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL "Customer" support - 10Meg performance drop :/

Old 09-01-2006, 10:39   #16
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough
Re: NTL "Customer" support - 10Meg performance drop :/

The funny thing is, everyone you speak to at NTL say theres no problem and the networks fine.
My neighbours connection is as cr@p as mine is, but they say they cant be bothered to ring up..
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2006, 12:44   #17
sicknote
Inactive

sicknote is on a distinguished roadsicknote is on a distinguished road

rang them regarding the rubbish speed from fri-mon and they seem to think theres an snr problem with my line so they are sending someone out today between 12-6pm to look at it which aint bad considering i only rang them at 12:13pm so we shall see
sicknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 15:25   #18
lima
Inactive

lima is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
Yeah - never tell them you have a router because that is ALWAYS the problem!
In my case it WAS the router...! That said, the speeds now on 10Meg do yoyo up and down a LOT more than when I was on 3Meg.

My case pre-December 05:

3Meg
XP Pro
Linksys BEFSR41 v2 router
Samsung STB

Speed tests always without fail showed 2.9MBps constant (ok within a few k either side).

Post upgrade I was getting 1-2MBps fluctuating and tops was about 2.5MBps.

I took advice on another thread here and changed the router (which was maxing out at 10MB) for a WRT54G (54MB) router.

Now my speeds on the Samsung go from 4-7Mbps..... here's a typical speed test:

Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:19:54 GMT

1st 512K took 3885 ms = 131.8 KB/sec, approx 1086 Kbps, 1.06 Mbps
2nd 512K took 531 ms = 964.2 KB/sec, approx 7945 Kbps, 7.76 Mbps
3rd 512K took 3846 ms = 133.1 KB/sec, approx 1097 Kbps, 1.07 Mbps
4th 512K took 500 ms = 1024 KB/sec, approx 8438 Kbps, 8.24 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 4642 Kbps, 4.53 Mbps

So if you've got an old router - the 10MBit NTL feed does (in my case anyway) make it perform worse than on the 3 Meg service.....

Still waiting for those free (come on NTL) upgrades then I'll get me a SACM....
lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 14:09   #19
Sage013
Inactive

Services: 10Mb NTL:250, Digi TV+Phone, Watford
Sage013 is on a distinguished roadSage013 is on a distinguished road

Anyone know the reason for ntl not supplying a SACM free of charge to all 10Mb STB users instead of charging £50.00? Seems kinda odd that they say your now getting up to 10Mb when they now very well it's not possible (I know officially it's up to 5Mb (not that I get that) for STB users but they keep refering to me being on the 10Mb package). I appreciate the costs involved to do this for everyone but, we're paying a lot of money each month for the top package and are currently getting slower speeds than before. For the length of time I've spoken to ntl over the last couple of weeks about this issue, they've probably spent more than £50.00 of employee time saying no to me, and they're going to be spending even more time in the future!
Sage013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 13:14   #20
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by buba3d
Hmm to me it looks like a UBR problem, usually when i can't get any news server updates to certain groups
Of course, uBRs often stop to look at which newsgroups you are updating and selectively block them
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:45   #21
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Are these the new super-powerful layer 4 scanning capable UBRs that we're not supposed to tell anyone about?

ohwhatagiveaway
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:56   #22
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
Are these the new super-powerful layer 4 scanning capable UBRs that we're not supposed to tell anyone about?

ohwhatagiveaway
start looking into all this stuff, you begin to realise how complicated it can be

http://www.ezchip.com/html/tech_L4-7_switches.html

- my brain hurts
Old 12-01-2006, 10:58   #23
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Don't think hes going to become in a hurry you bullies
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 17:29   #24
Darone
Inactive

Darone is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok folks, the next chapter in this long running saga.

Had an engineer out yesterday and got a replacement modem. he checked my power levels and said they were fine. I called tech support again to tell them everything was fine at my end after engineers visit and that in the engineers opinion, NTL were at fault. I asked if any changes had been made to my account and if so, could he change them back to the same setup as before, when everything was working great.
I was told that i'd been put back on the server i was on before my modem upgrade. He also said that my problem was being escalated to the faults team.

The result so far is that my speeds have dropped even further!

I have a friend who lives less than a mile away and his 1MB connection is only slightly slower than my 10MB connection.

I know i shouldn't request help from any NTL employees that may frequent these forums but i don't know what else to do.
So if any kind soul would like to take up my cause or at least point me in the right direction to resolve this, i would be eternally grateful.

Thanks for putting up with my overlong posts and general desparation.
I'm not normaly like this...honestly.
Darone is offline   Reply With Quote