Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Maximum wireless speed with Superhub?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Network transfer with the Superhub

Old 04-05-2012, 01:01   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Network transfer with the Superhub

Why is transfer rate so slow?

a 2 Gig file just took an hour to transfer to my NAS Drive.

Before, with a £15 router and a cable modem - it would take about 10 minutes.

Anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks

---------- Post added 04-05-2012 at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was 03-05-2012 at 23:31 ----------

For info, the speed of transfer is 400kb a second on my LAN.

I have an Iomega Cloud home network storage NAS.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 01:06   #2
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Network transfer with the Superhub

you could put the superhub into modem mode and just use your old router?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09   #3
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
you could put the superhub into modem mode and just use your old router?
But then I don't get high internet speeds. As the router is only capable of 24mbs

I am shocked at the LANs decreasing ability. The Superhub, PC and NAS are literally all within half a metre of each other. Wired.

I must be doing something wrong.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:24   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

buy a router?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:22   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

A few people have reported problems with the Superhub's LAN switch, including partial, intermittent or even complete loss of connectivity and consequent packet drops.

In several cases they assumed the Superhub was faulty and a replacement sorted it out.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:07   #6
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
In several cases they assumed the Superhub was faulty and a replacement sorted it out.
The number of faulty Superhubs suggests that quality control must be non existent. On my install day the first two didn't work at all.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:47   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

As suggested just get a router.

The superhub is just not up to it.

I found LAN transfers to be between 50 to 75% slower using the superhub than using an rt n16 running tomatousb.

I also found the superhub would frequently fall over while trying to make large LAN transfers.

It was so slow and unreliable that overnight Acronis backups to NAS or large unattended downloads became impractical.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:59   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The Superhub has basically the same LAN switch as the RT-N16. If there's that big a difference, either your setup is bad or the Superhub is faulty.
Old 04-05-2012, 16:37   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
The Superhub has basically the same LAN switch as the RT-N16. If there's that big a difference, either your setup is bad or the Superhub is faulty.
Setup is the same? Only changes are superhub to modem mode. Rt n16 connected as router.

The rt n16, out of the box, proved to be rock solid reliability wise although LAN transfer speeds only improved moderately. After flashing with tomatousb I noticed a tremendous improvement in LAN tranfer speeds along with a much snappier browsing experience without the dns glitches experienced on the superhub and the rtn16 running out of the box firmware.

As to the why's and wherefore's......after the superhub debacle I am just grateful to have thing's "just working" reliably again without the need of frequent rebooting and config changes needed to keep a superhub afloat.

Yes, in keeping with most of the VM/Ntl supplied hardware I have encoutered, my superhub is probably faulty. However it does make for a half decent, albeit rather huge, modem.
Old 04-05-2012, 17:13   #10
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Yes, in keeping with most of the VM/Ntl supplied hardware I have encoutered, my superhub is probably faulty. However it does make for a half decent, albeit rather huge, modem.[/QUOTE]

It could been as small as a pi
Old 04-05-2012, 18:53   #11
smallclone
cf.geek

Bit bizarre.

Transfer speeds from laptop to nas and pc to laptop are fine. running at 5MBps. So it must be something getween my :

PC > Superhub > NAS causing conflict.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:19   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
The rt n16, out of the box, proved to be rock solid reliability wise although LAN transfer speeds only improved moderately. After flashing with tomatousb I noticed a tremendous improvement in LAN tranfer speeds along with a much snappier browsing experience without the dns glitches experienced on the superhub and the rtn16 running out of the box firmware.
Also odd, as firmware should have nothing to do with LAN performance. Even if you wiped the device firmware, the LAN switch would still work fine by itself.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44   #13
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Also odd, as firmware should have nothing to do with LAN performance. Even if you wiped the device firmware, the LAN switch would still work fine by itself.
we are talking about the superhub arent we, their firmware cripples the modem never mind the switch :P
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 14:14   #14
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Quote:
I believe you but really have no comment except to say that, for me, the superhub was nothing short of a disaster.

In fact I can think of nothing positive to say about the wretched device whatsoever.
Old 05-05-2012, 14:19   #15
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Its not even heavy enough to make a good doorstop.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote