Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone here got a cat like this

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Anyone here got a cat like this

Old 01-05-2012, 17:55   #16
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Anyone here got a cat like this

I don't understand how people can let their pets get like this. OK, a dog needs you to walk it (although, with a good diet, smaller breeds can stay fit with little or no exercise), but a cat just needs to be let out. They will often naturally hunt for small animals, or "play" with other cats. Both of which will keep them fit.

I'll admit, with my own cat, that play often turned into real fights, but he was a male, and even though we actually fed him a lot, he was active enough that he was never fat.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2012, 18:58   #17
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I don't understand how people can let their pets get like this. OK, a dog needs you to walk it (although, with a good diet, smaller breeds can stay fit with little or no exercise), but a cat just needs to be let out. They will often naturally hunt for small animals, or "play" with other cats. Both of which will keep them fit.

I'll admit, with my own cat, that play often turned into real fights, but he was a male, and even though we actually fed him a lot, he was active enough that he was never fat.
I think one of the problems is that more people are keeping their cats as house cats due to a fear that something will happen to them if they are allowed to venture outside.

I belong to a Cat Forum, I know, I know ...mad cat woman strikes again , and a lot of members virtually foam at the mouth if they hear that you don't believe in keeping a cat confined indoors and just will not accept that their little darlings need far more exercise than just having a climbing frame and a laser pen toy. I suspect that is what has happened to this poor mog. An owner restricting the cats natural form of exercise for fear of loosing him out in the big bad world and overcompensating by 'treating' her 'big boy' to too many treats. Potentially killing with kindness.
Old 02-05-2012, 17:13   #18
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

You're right, Joglynne - a cat that's kept indoors never knows what it's missing, so it isn't concerned, provided the environment is kept varied and the cat has opportunities to exercise its natural behaviour. By far the best course of action is to ensure the cat has some safe, high perch to climb; they like that, so they can look down and survey their domain.

When a cat's sitting on a windowsill looking outside, it isn't thinking 'oh, I wish they'd let me out' - it's just taking an interest and watching the world go by. They do that. If you live in an area that's dangerous for cats, e.g. on a main road, then by all means keep 'em in. They don't mind. It isn't cruel. My Tigger was originally an indoor cat, owing to my awkward shift times...then she managed to escape a couple of times, she discovered birds, and that was pretty much that.

Since my last move, she's discovered mice, too, and delights in bringing them home...I wish she wouldn't, mice are cute. A couple of times I managed to pull a fast one on her; I waited till she lost interest in the mouse and decided to go out, then I captured it and put it out!

Advisory for owners of cats who like to hunt, though: if the cat's drawn blood on whatever it's caught, you may as well leave the cat to it, as the poor thing's surely doomed; a cat's bite can be very toxic owing to bacteria. Otherwise, if you really can't stand it, distract the cat somehow and rescue the hapless prey, as I did.
Old 02-05-2012, 17:37   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Advisory for owners of cats who like to hunt, though: if the cat's drawn blood on whatever it's caught, you may as well leave the cat to it, as the poor thing's surely doomed; a cat's bite can be very toxic owing to bacteria. Otherwise, if you really can't stand it, distract the cat somehow and rescue the hapless prey, as I did.
I remember clearing up some of the mice that our cat used to bring in. I think the best way to describe what remained is to paraphrase Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

"What we got back didn't live long, fortunately."
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 16:12   #20
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Well, it's died.

Quote:
A cat that drew national attention for weighing in at 39 pounds has died from apparent complications of his obesity, the Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society reports.

Meow was reputed to be the nation's most overweight cat, the society says. The orange–and-white tabby died Saturday after he developed respiratory complications.

"We are devastated," said Mary Martin, the Santa Fe shelter's executive director. "We were in a race against time to get the weight off Meow ... and we lost."
Old 08-05-2012, 16:30   #21
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I think one of the problems is that more people are keeping their cats as house cats due to a fear that something will happen to them if they are allowed to venture outside.

I belong to a Cat Forum, I know, I know ...mad cat woman strikes again , and a lot of members virtually foam at the mouth if they hear that you don't believe in keeping a cat confined indoors and just will not accept that their little darlings need far more exercise than just having a climbing frame and a laser pen toy. I suspect that is what has happened to this poor mog. An owner restricting the cats natural form of exercise for fear of loosing him out in the big bad world and overcompensating by 'treating' her 'big boy' to too many treats. Potentially killing with kindness.
I have two male cats and they do not get let out unless its in the garden with me for a while. However they are not unfit or over weight as their diet is good and also they can be fussy wee things. They constantly 'play' with each other although it can turn into a real fight pretty quickly.

I think in this case it may have in part been the fact that the owner(s) were 87 and not very mobile themselves.
Old 08-05-2012, 16:30   #22
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Don't buy any meat pies for a while.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 19:22   #23
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I have two male cats and they do not get let out unless its in the garden with me for a while. However they are not unfit or over weight as their diet is good and also they can be fussy wee things. They constantly 'play' with each other although it can turn into a real fight pretty quickly.

I think in this case it may have in part been the fact that the owner(s) were 87 and not very mobile themselves.
I hope that you don't feel that I was criticising an owner such as yourself Stephen. You are aware of your cats needs. The people that wind me up tend to have a lone cat that they leave on it's own whilst they work. A cat without stimulus will sleep for most of the time and it sounds like your two have a great life with a slave........ errrr I mean owner who cares for their well being.

[rant}As for the owner of this poor cat, being 87 doesn't provide an excuse to overfeed it so badly, if the owner was mobile enough to feed the cat then they were mobile enough to play with it in some way. If the owner was relying on someone else to buy food and care for them then that person should have done something to help the poor cat before it got to the stage it did. [/rant]