Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

Old 26-04-2012, 18:41   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Consumer expectations these days...
yeah it is quite sad. But then again I suppose it depends what you use the connection for and how frequently. None of my family would have a clue what speed they were getting if you asked them.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2012, 22:06   #17
zero967
Inactive

Services: TV: Sky World HD 2 x Boxes (1x1TB)(1x320Gb) BB: Be Broadband (ADSL2+)(10Mb) TD-W8960N Tel: BT Mob:o2
zero967 is an unknown quantity at this point

According to BT they are already advertising "Up To" 100Mb internet in some areas and can be checked out here:
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=33828

Also check this out what BT are planning:

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/new...oadband_trial/

BTW according to the check on that page above i can get Infinity 30.1Mb/5.7Mb approximate which is not bad but not great either.

On another note, I just wish our telecommunication systems was easier just like in Japan where they have fiber trunks\switches to nearly every street corner on a pole and then they feed a fiber line into your property and bingo 100+Mb instantly the whole process takes less than a hour to get it up and running!, here it seems to be so lathargic its unreal!

Other countries for example old russian states have 100/150Mb+ Fiber broadband already & have done for the last few years, Korea are sayin they want 1Gb (1024Mb) internet in the next 12-24 months not years!!
zero967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 22:13   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

how cool would it be to be able to host your own games server on a 1000/200
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 22:39   #19
zero967
Inactive

Services: TV: Sky World HD 2 x Boxes (1x1TB)(1x320Gb) BB: Be Broadband (ADSL2+)(10Mb) TD-W8960N Tel: BT Mob:o2

I have to admit i think even 500Mb would be sufficient! :P
Old 26-04-2012, 23:36   #20
Scurra
Inactive

Scurra is an unknown quantity at this point

Far be it from me to defend anyone, but part of the problem - and it's not confined just to telephone infrastructure - is that we in the UK were often among the first to install something. The result is that we also have the oldest, least efficient systems. And although the obvious response is to say "well, install a new one then", that's not so easy unless it was designed from the outset with some sort of expectation of upgrading. Again, that's more true these days but wasn't the case in the nineteenth century...
Scurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 01:21   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero967 View Post
Other countries for example old russian states have 100/150Mb+ Fiber broadband already & have done for the last few years, Korea are sayin they want 1Gb (1024Mb) internet in the next 12-24 months not years!!
BT intend to release 1Gb broadband within the next 13 months.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 20:14   #22
zero967
Inactive

Quote:
I await in baited breath to see that one pulled out the bag! (and when i say this i mean a commercial release of 1Gb NOT a trial)

Well let me put it this way, half of Japan was swept away by a Tsunami and yet they managed to get back to "some" form of normalcy in vast majority of places within a year and nearly all by 15-16 months, now thats what i call WORKING FAST! The simple fact is like other people have said, "we are the first to build it" but in my opinion always the laziest to keep it maintained.

I mean if they had just listend to the demands of the public few years back and watched the way the BB market was unfolding and at what rate it was expanding at we would probably all have 300-400Mb by now!

Its not all this either, they should take on other countries tried and tested methods too. This way people in rural parts would be able to enjoy the fast lane also instead of being in the "not economically viable" bracket!
Old 27-04-2012, 20:55   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Given that they successfully released 80mbps ahead of schedule, 330mbps only slightly behind (commercial release will be May/June) I see no reason 1Gbps won't also be released according to plan.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 22:18   #24
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'm guessing that will that be FTTP only?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 23:48   #25
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I'm guessing that will that be FTTP only?
as will 330

The launch for all FTTP on demand was Jan 2013 the last I heard
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 19:40   #26
zero967
Inactive

Same here, i heard FTTP was going to be around the 2013 mark but did not know when.

Just wish that there were other competing companies, other than BT or Virgin!! Feels a bit unfair really that we only have the option of 2 what happened to monopolisation and compertition, do they not exist any more?

Before you say i am aware there are other companies doing same services but they still "rent" it off of BT for the moment and not on an LLU basis either!