Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Media Player?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Media Player?

Old 12-02-2012, 20:52   #16
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: Media Player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Well, I do have this player's big brother, and while the video quality is never going to win any awards, and neither is the user interface, it's certainly watchable, as good as the video quality from any laptop I have seen, and a lot more convenient.
but we are talking about the little brother... if the big brother isn't great, I'm now definitely dubious about the quality of the little brother!

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Yeah, but the OP is talking about travelling (with his laptop) to various places including hotels and hooking it up to their TVs. At which point connecting a laptop is no harder than connecting a laptop and a media player (easier some might argue) and he won't have to copy stuff off the laptop to the media player as well. I see no point in carrying around two devices when one does the job, especially if one has to travel light.

In your own living room where the weight doesn't matter and it's plugged in once and left indefinitely, it's a different matter.
what he said.
Old 12-02-2012, 23:17   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
but we are talking about the little brother... if the big brother isn't great, I'm now definitely dubious about the quality of the little brother!
But you missed or ignored the bit where I said the quality was "as good as the video quality from any laptop I have seen". I don't think most Laptops or desktops would win awards for video playback either.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 23:33   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I'm not sure there's any such question of quality when we're talking about digital reproduction of an identical digital bitstream.

Either what the laptop outputs is an exactly 100% perfect bit-perfect representation of the original, or there's a fault in your system. There should be no question of quality. The data is exactly the same, the decoder (if properly following standards) should output exactly the same thing, and the HDMI interface which is also digital should transfer the output bit-perfectly with no loss or change of anything. There is nowhere for "quality" to be gained or lost.

Nothing in the middle - e.g. RAM, processor, or I/O busses should be modifying the data in any way and if it does anything that could lose quality, you'd have bigger problems than video playback - your system wouldn't even boot to begin with.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 00:15   #19
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I'm not sure there's any such question of quality when we're talking about digital reproduction of an identical digital bitstream.

Either what the laptop outputs is an exactly 100% perfect bit-perfect representation of the original, or there's a fault in your system. There should be no question of quality. The data is exactly the same, the decoder (if properly following standards) should output exactly the same thing, and the HDMI interface which is also digital should transfer the output bit-perfectly with no loss or change of anything. There is nowhere for "quality" to be gained or lost.

Nothing in the middle - e.g. RAM, processor, or I/O busses should be modifying the data in any way and if it does anything that could lose quality, you'd have bigger problems than video playback - your system wouldn't even boot to begin with.
You forget one thing. All Mpeg 4 based compression systems are lossy. This inevitably introduces errors or artifacts into the compressed data. A system with good decompression will minimise the effects of those artifacts.

And just in case the discussion heads this way, in general, I don't agree that more expensive cables and components automatically make for a better digital reproduction.
Old 13-02-2012, 00:23   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
You forget one thing. All Mpeg 4 based compression systems are lossy. This inevitably introduces errors or artifacts into the compressed data. A system with good decompression will minimise the effects of those artifacts.
But that has nothing to do with the hardware or device, it's entirely up to the software used. Every laptop or media player with the same decoder will output the exact same data with the exact same artifacts, and you can always change the software on the laptop, it's nothing to do with the laptop itself.
Old 13-02-2012, 00:28   #21
Stuart
-

Quote:
But that has nothing to do with the hardware or device, it's entirely up to the software used. Every laptop or media player with the same decoder will output the exact same data with the exact same artifacts, and you can always change the software on the laptop, it's nothing to do with the laptop itself.
Except if the decompression is done in hardware, or is hardware accelerated.
Old 13-02-2012, 13:22   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Well that's another argument of laptop over dedicated media player then, in that the laptop you can freely choose the software you use, and the drivers for the hardware which determine it's decompression characteristics can also be freely changed. You can also freely choose whether to use the hardware acceleration or not. None of which is easily done on a standalone player.
Old 13-02-2012, 21:04   #23
nick_f
Inactive

nick_f is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm was in almost the same position. I had a load of media files that I wanted to play on my TV. I have a Macbook that was (and is) perfectly capable of playing them through the DVI connector on the TV, but I still got an external media player because it frees up the laptop to do whatver I want while the movie is playing.

Not to mention the fact that if I just want to watch a quick video, I can do it in a few clicks on a remote control, where as with the Macbook (and any PC), I would have needed to start the computer up, start the program then go hunting through the media files.

Cheers stuart thats what i was hoping, plus when im at home i can use it on my tv there hassle free, its nice to see sarcasm isnt always required!
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 20:43   #24
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Here's a great little tool for those wanting more than just a media player when on holiday or away on business..

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20...r-Media-Center

Quote:
Media player adapter, e-mail, internet surfing, gaming social networking, e-book and much more.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 23:30   #25
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_f View Post
Cheers stuart thats what i was hoping, plus when im at home i can use it on my tv there hassle free, its nice to see sarcasm isnt always required!
lol - the irony

Quote:
not while using an hdmi output genius
Old 24-02-2012, 16:27   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
Quote:
lol - the irony
Quote:
not while using an hdmi output genius
Pwnd.
Old 24-02-2012, 18:20   #27
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Here's a great little tool for those wanting more than just a media player when on holiday or away on business..

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20...r-Media-Center

So I guess I could be able to connect a USB HDD to it and the unit to a TV?
Old 24-02-2012, 19:12   #28
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

I travel a lot and use my archos 705 which I can watch a movie in the airport or plug it into the scart socket of most hotel tv's. I am up to season 3 of "house md" I can also plug in a usb stick/card reader for any other movies I travel with.

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote