Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky BB fibre product

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Sky BB fibre product

Old 04-02-2012, 18:48   #31
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky BB fibre product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Sky also have their own fibre network, as they bought out Easynet in 2006.
Ah, now that answers my question.

So what sort of coverage do they have?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2012, 22:24   #32
The Cool Dude
Permanently Banned

The Cool Dude is an unknown quantity at this point

Fibre is becoming quite popylar now
The Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
So what sort of coverage do they have?
National.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:27   #34
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
National.
I haven't seen much evidence of that.

Are you saying that they have their own cables in most streets?
Old 05-02-2012, 19:38   #35
DerekRothwell
Inactive

Services: Sky BB at almost dial-up speeds Crap TV (no iplayers) Average phone (unlimited) and all this for
DerekRothwell is on a distinguished roadDerekRothwell is on a distinguished road

I moved house recently, and had to get sky - it sucks. Virgin beats sky hands down on all products.
DerekRothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:55   #36
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I haven't seen much evidence of that.

Are you saying that they have their own cables in most streets?
Nobody has optical cable in most streets.

Sky has their own optical backbone that covers the country, same as VM, BT, O2 and others.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:49   #37
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Nobody has optical cable in most streets.

Sky has their own optical backbone that covers the country, same as VM, BT, O2 and others.
That didn't really answer my question. VM have cable to most populated areas. BT have copper cables nationwide, and are currently installing fibre optic. As far as I have seen, Sky and O2 don't, which is why I was asking the question.
Old 05-02-2012, 21:04   #38
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Sky's fibre product for home broadband will make use of the fibre currently being rolled out by BT Openreach, same as with TalkTalk and other ISPs.

Sky's own fibre network is a separate thing, its core network, its backbone, originally acquired from purchasing Easynet. It is Sky's own fibre network which has recently had an upgrade to 100Gbps. As I said before, it may be that which you were confusing with Sky's fibre broadband product when you were saying that Sky should not claim it is "increasing the fibre optic network", as Sky has never said it is "increasing the fibre optic network" regarding its fibre broadband product. Sky's press release makes it perfectly clear that its fibre broadband product uses the BT fibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky press release from the very first post in this thread
(snip)

Adding choice with Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre: Sky is to give customers even more choice by adding a fibre broadband product to its range from April. For £20 a month, customers will be able to access download speeds of up to 40 megabits with a totally unlimited product that has no usage caps. From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BT’s fibre roll-out programme.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:12   #39
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That didn't really answer my question. VM have cable to most populated areas. BT have copper cables nationwide, and are currently installing fibre optic. As far as I have seen, Sky and O2 don't, which is why I was asking the question.
Fine, in answer to your question, no Sky don't have fibre in most streets.

Nobody does.
Old 05-02-2012, 21:39   #40
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Sky's fibre product for home broadband will make use of the fibre currently being rolled out by BT Openreach, same as with TalkTalk and other ISPs.

Sky's own fibre network is a separate thing, its core network, its backbone, originally acquired from purchasing Easynet. It is Sky's own fibre network which has recently had an upgrade to 100Gbps. As I said before, it may be that which you were confusing with Sky's fibre broadband product when you were saying that Sky should not claim it is "increasing the fibre optic network", as Sky has never said it is "increasing the fibre optic network" regarding its fibre broadband product. Sky's press release makes it perfectly clear that its fibre broadband product uses the BT fibre.
So they do still rely on BT installing their fibre optic network then?

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Quote:
Fine, in answer to your question, no Sky don't have fibre in most streets.

Nobody does.
Apart from VM
Old 05-02-2012, 22:00   #41
Digi Tel
Inactive

Services: Winter Hill Freeview, Sky+, Virgin 4play, TV Broadband Phone and Mobile
Digi Tel is on a distinguished roadDigi Tel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Apart from VM
Let's take this slowly:

BT have copper wires in most streets.
VM have co-ax cable in some streets.

In the unlikely case where BT or VM have fibre in your street, it is most likely on its way to a cabinet or node.
Digi Tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 22:11   #42
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So they do still rely on BT installing their fibre optic network then?
As already explained earlier in the thread, more than once:

Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre uses the FTTC installed by Openreach.

No one has said otherwise, not Sky, not anyone in this thread.
Old 05-02-2012, 22:21   #43
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi Tel View Post
Let's take this slowly:

BT have copper wires in most streets.
VM have co-ax cable in some streets.

In the unlikely case where BT or VM have fibre in your street, it is most likely on its way to a cabinet or node.
Yes I know that, so there is no need to be patronising.

And yes I do know that VM use coax from the cabinet to your house.

VM have cabinets in most streets in built up areas. And as most streets are in built up areas, then VM do have fibre optic cables in most streets. And BT are trying to catch up. Sky and O2 as far as I know don't have fibre optic cables in many streets, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
As already explained earlier in the thread, more than once:

Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre uses the FTTC installed by Openreach.

No one has said otherwise, not Sky, not anyone in this thread.
Matt, I was asking a question, because Sky do give that impression to anyone who isn't in the know. Just as many broadband companies do.

A mate of mine who lives in a village, was complaining the other week that he had spent a whole day searching for an internet company that could give him a decent broadband speed. And until I told him that they would all use his BT line, he was under the impression that BB companies installed their own network.
Old 05-02-2012, 22:30   #44
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Matt, I was asking a question, because Sky do give that impression to anyone who isn't in the know. Just as many broadband companies do.

A mate of mine who lives in a village, was complaining the other week that he had spent a whole day searching for an internet company that could give him a decent broadband speed. And until I told him that they would all use his BT line, he was under the impression that BB companies installed their own network.
How exactly does Sky give that impression?

Its own press release, quoted in the very first post of this thread, quite clearly states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
From launch the new product will be available to around 30% of UK homes, growing over time in line with BT’s fibre roll-out programme.

As for all ISPs other than VM still using a BT line... Yes, they do use a "BT line" (although of course if the line is fully unbundled then it could actually be a "Sky line"/"TalkTalk line" etc.), but there is more to it than that. Some ISPs just re-sell a BT Wholesale ADSL package, connected via a "BT line", while others install their own equipment in the BT exchange and sell something which is actually theirs, rather than re-sell a BT Wholesale ADSL package...Such as Sky Broadband Everyday Lite and Sky Broadband Unlimited, which are Sky's LLU packages, and make use of Sky's own equipment in the exchange. Sure, they use the "BT line" to connect you to the exchange, but from the exchange onwards it's all via Sky's own network.
Old 05-02-2012, 22:53   #45
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
VM have cabinets in most streets in built up areas.
Wrong, VM barely cover half the streets in built up areas.

Quote:
And as most streets are in built up areas, then VM do have fibre optic cables in most streets.
Wrong. VM do not have fibre optic cables to most of their cabinets.

I'd guess only one in 5 to one in 20 VM cabinets are actually connected to fibre. Seph would have more accurate numbers, he's gone and counted them all.

Even if every other VM cabinet had fibre, that'd still be barely one quarter of streets being covered. Not sure where you get your definition of "most" from but an absolute maximum of 25% (more likely 2-10%) is not most in most people's books.