Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

Old 24-04-2012, 22:37   #1
zero967
Inactive

Services: TV: Sky World HD 2 x Boxes (1x1TB)(1x320Gb) BB: Be Broadband (ADSL2+)(10Mb) TD-W8960N Tel: BT Mob:o2
zero967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

Hi There,

I'm new to the Cable Forum.

I am considering ditching my current provider on the basis that their performance has started to detereorate over the last few months now with issue upon issue upon issue. At one point it was like all the subscribers were being put down a line the size of a soft drink straw, t'was ridiculous!

Anyway i have heard from numerous sources that VM can be succeptable to other issues such as the STMs and Congestion locally but i am going to be unaware of any congestion aren't i until i am connected and stuck with a 18 month contract.

Thats another thing, with my current provider i am on a rolling 30 day contract which you cannot get anymore as old account and i was just wondering, if i do sign up with VM could i get 12 Month Contract and NOT 18 or is that not an option, i don't mind paying more?

I work @ CPW and we have sales leaflets from VM saying Free Install and 12 Month Contracts on new customers but it says nothing about 100Mb, which is the service i am after?

In simple terms i would just like to know should i sign up for 100Mb from VM and is it worth it or should i stay away?

Thanks for your input, advice and comments and any other infomation.

Regards

Paul
Ex VM (Telewest) BB 1st Line Tech Support Agent.
zero967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2012, 22:51   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

The 50meg is now the 100, you have a 28day happiness garuntee so best bet is to order and let it overlap your other broadband by two weeks so you can try before you quit your other contract.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 23:14   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I definitely recommend 100mbit and it is great when it is working. I personally dont have any probs and always get full speed but there are some areas which suffer horribly due to congestion and there is nothing you can do about it. The best thing you can do if you are serious is follow jb's advice. You arent going to know for sure until you try it and if you ask VM they'll give you a load of bs about upgrades and stuff just to get you to take it.

You can go with VM and see what you get or go for BT Infinity where speed is pretty much guaranteed atm.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 23:48   #4
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I'll add that you you still won't know for sure even when you do try it. Things can go downhill very very fast when your broadband is delivered through the tiny local pipes that cable uses. The addition of a single 100Mbps customer can tip the balance if they are a heavy user.

That said the odds are that you'll get a good service. Unlike me and the many others complaining on the VM community forum.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 20:51   #5
zero967
Inactive

Services: TV: Sky World HD 2 x Boxes (1x1TB)(1x320Gb) BB: Be Broadband (ADSL2+)(10Mb) TD-W8960N Tel: BT Mob:o2
Question Re: Should I Subscribe to 100Mb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You can go with VM and see what you get or go for BT Infinity where speed is pretty much guaranteed atm.
Thats true if you live near to the Green Active boxes which now have the equipment the exchanges have in them followed by new dark fiber channels to the box.

My Green Active box is about 0.5 Miles from my home so the most i will get via Infinity or new Infinity 2 is going to be either 24Mb or 34Mb approx as its still distance based, even on 80Mb i would probably only manage about 45-50Mb maybe at most, they did a survey on it based on distance on the Thinkbroadband news pages, look for it on there.

Where as with VM its not so much distance based its more like "how many people are on the cabinet / ubr i am connected to" sort of thing that affects performance along with the speed they are purchasing.

I remember someone from 2nd Line BB Support who was upstairs from us BB 1st Line Agents telling me that the pipelines from the cabinets was only something like 33Mbps or something but again that was back in 2007/8 when 20Mb was the top package on BB!!

Also the comment that jb66 has stated, Is that definatly true they have some sort of 28 Days Satisfaction or "happieness" guarantee as that would be really useful as i would have to give that to my current provider anyway before i leave so it would allow me to test both as to what you all have suggested anyway. Just don't want to be tied into a 12 / 18 month contract only to recieve the same or worse service than i am getting on BE.

Does anyone know whether if there has been another Green Cabinet put next to the old one, would this show a sign of congestion as there is more and more people taking up these services as i only want VM BB and nothing else??

Also does anyone know if VM are doing anything via their technical partner Fujitsu Telecommunications UK to alleviate the congestion and increase general capacity to cope with demand as the company i am with at the moment for my interner (ADSL 2+ with Be Broadband atm) do NOT seem to be doing anything about it hence the interegation into VM before taking any steps!

Thanks all for the help and assistance as always

Paul
Old 25-04-2012, 21:34   #6
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero967 View Post
My Green Active box is about 0.5 Miles from my home so the most i will get via Infinity or new Infinity 2 is going to be either 24Mb or 34Mb approx as its still distance based, even on 80Mb i would probably only manage about 45-50Mb maybe at most, they did a survey on it based on distance on the Thinkbroadband news pages, look for it on there.
the 40 and 80 packages use the same network/frequencies, so your max speed will be the same on both (i.e. if you can get 55mb on 80 package you can get 40 on the 40)

I think that makes sense
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 04:29   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
the 40 and 80 packages use the same network/frequencies, so your max speed will be the same on both (i.e. if you can get 55mb on 80 package you can get 40 on the 40)

I think that makes sense
Yes.

The BT estimator is generally a conservative underestimate (assumes 80% takeup), and the Thinkbroadband table is an even bigger underestimate (assumes 100% takeup). Rarely though people do get speeds less than the estimate but there is still a minimum guarantee on FTTC, there is no such thing on VM but there is as mentioned a 28 day happiness guarantee. I've seen people on FTTC getting double what the Thinkbroadband table shows.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 04:48   #8
zero967
Inactive

The only downsides to FTTC that i see in certain cases is that you have to pay for install (sometimes, depends on offer on day) if thru BT if not then its pay for install. Also don't really like BT anyway and the only one offering 80/10 on FTTC is BT and TalkTalk (Another company i cant stand)

Not only this but BT FTTC tops out at 80Mb and uses existing Copper wire from the FTTC box (further away than the VM one) to get to me where as VM will take me 120MB and beyond and the box is amplified and closer to me (over the road), therefore futureproofing.....unless BT pull their finger out and decide to offer fiber to my door then thats when VM is int S*** street.

Can some other people confirm for 100% that there is "a 28 day happiness guarantee" whereby if during that time the service is not what i am getting (besides the STN and any other restrictions), i can cancel?
Old 26-04-2012, 05:47   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
The only downsides to FTTC that i see in certain cases is that you have to pay for install (sometimes, depends on offer on day) if thru BT if not then its pay for install. Also don't really like BT anyway and the only one offering 80/10 on FTTC is BT and TalkTalk (Another company i cant stand)
There is no 80/10 on FTTC. There's 40/10 or 80/20.

80/20 on FTTC is offered by at least seven different ISPs.

Quote:
Not only this but BT FTTC tops out at 80Mb and uses existing Copper wire from the FTTC box (further away than the VM one) to get to me where as VM will take me 120MB and beyond and the box is amplified and closer to me (over the road), therefore futureproofing.....unless BT pull their finger out and decide to offer fiber to my door then thats when VM is int S*** street.
Wrong on every count. FTTC does not top out at 80mb.

The VM fibre cab is further than the BT FTTC box.

Unamplified fibre runs are better than amplified ones.

BT have already announced they *will* be offering fibre to your door.

Quote:
Can some other people confirm for 100% that there is "a 28 day happiness guarantee" whereby if during that time the service is not what i am getting (besides the STN and any other restrictions), i can cancel?
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/mone...guarantee.html

Page currently unavailable (but then the whole site is down at the moment) but that's where the info used to be.
Old 26-04-2012, 06:41   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
The only downsides to FTTC that i see in certain cases is that you have to pay for install
I checked the BT website last week and it said that on 80/20 I would receive 55/13, the reactivation of my phone line would be free and I had to pay £20 for the dude to come round and install everything.
Old 26-04-2012, 07:10   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Did to take up the offer?
Old 26-04-2012, 09:35   #12
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I had to pay £20 for the dude to come round and install everything.
Rats - it used to be all free. By the time they get their fingers out and activate mine it will probably require a second mortgage
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 11:22   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

According to the website it is still all free, except £25 activation fee on the lowest tariff which has always been there.
Old 26-04-2012, 15:13   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Did to take up the offer?
Not this time, i cant ditch my vm bb till november. If i was having issues i would switch but my connection has always been 100%. I dont want to switch to infinity till i can get 100mbit or more (regardless of the cost) because going back down to 50mbit would feel like taking a step backwards
Old 26-04-2012, 15:32   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I see. Whatever works for you, if VM service was without issues I wouldn't have switched either. For the record I was predicted for 53/14 or so and am getting 87/27, while Seph I believe was bang on his prediction, and others have been in between these extremes; an estimate of 55 doesn't mean you'll actually get only 55.

I actually met some people recently who thought getting 60mb on a 100mb service at peak times was "pretty good". Consumer expectations these days...