Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

Old 13-03-2010, 23:15   #16
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Re: Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Chop it with a spade as soon as possible as the longer you leave it the harder it will be for you to get it removed, if it is cut they will have to come and rectify it.
Wouldn't he be liable to a charge of criminal damage or something similar if he did that. No, they shouldn't have gone across his land without his permission, but to do that would sink to the level of his sneaky neighbour or VM for trespassing on his land when he's not around.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2010, 23:30   #17
Spectato
Inactive

Services: || (XL) Broadband || (XL) Nuisance Call Hotline ||
Spectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to behold

A little research on Google would suggest that COBRA Installations are no longer contracted to Virgin Media, so it might be a company called Kelly Communications.
I'm sure others here would be able to clarify that.

Both companies and their workforce appear to have a pretty bad reputation.
Underpaid, hurried work as you would expect.

No doubt, Virgin Media themselves should be able to supply you with accurate contact details of the liable party.
Spectato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 00:21   #18
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Chop it with a spade as soon as possible as the longer you leave it the harder it will be for you to get it removed, if it is cut they will have to come and rectify it.

100%. Chop it.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:10   #19
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
Wouldn't he be liable to a charge of criminal damage or something similar if he did that. No, they shouldn't have gone across his land without his permission, but to do that would sink to the level of his sneaky neighbour or VM for trespassing on his land when he's not around.
They have trespassed on his property and dug up his lawn with no wayleave so I would go for it as otherwise it could be there for months and months while he argues for its removal.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:22   #20
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
100%. Chop it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:30   #21
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Chopping the wire would force VM to take action, but no-one seems to be taking into account what this action will do to relations between the OP and the neighbour.. VM you don't have to live next too
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 10:49   #22
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Doesn't look like his neighbour is bothered about "relations" with him since he allowed them to trespass and dig up his lawn and is now avoiding him. Personally I would drop a letter through his door telling him what action you are about to take and asking them to let you know if ANY permissions were asked on the day as it may be that the contractor turned up, dug the cable in and then knocked on their door. (Odds are they will deny all knowledge etc anyway but at least you can make them aware you are getting it dealt with)
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 12:16   #23
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
wouldn't digging up the garden count as criminal damage also? the fact the neighbour is complicit as is the installers would make for an interesting case.
Old 14-03-2010, 13:12   #24
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'm assuming this is an open plan style garden. No fencing or otherwise to mark the boundary, just a fair bit of grass. In which case could there be an easy misunderstanding as to where the boundary lay? Might your neighbour even beleive that that bit of garden was his?

The cable installers would be working from the pavement T point to if that was in the wrong place from yeasr ago when the ducts were laid, then everything would follow on now. I'd have to look up definitions but for criminal damage to have been doen by digging up the garden there would have had to be some form of intent or recklessness to cause damage to the garden of another. This is a civil rather than criminal issue.

Although you don't want the service crossing your property, don't just cut the cable. Give notice that you will be doing so both the VM / Cobra and your neighbour. Only cut it once that notice has expired. That way you are continuing to act in a fair and reasonable matter and trying not to escalate a problem. Remember two wrongs don't make a right and rushing into a resolution won't help anyone.

It is important to remember that you don't want to create bad feeling with your neighbour even if it starts from something that isn't your fault. You both have to live there afterwards and bad neighbourt relationships can be a right pain. If you end up falling out in such a way there there is a dispute with him you might be required to declare such a dispute to any prospective purchaser of your property. That will immediately downvalue your home, and make it harder to sell.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 13:15   #25
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Indeed... not worth falling out, but the OP needs to speak to the neigbour to find out what happened.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 13:19   #26
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Two wrongs don't make a right. I would not cut the cable.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 13:36   #27
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

are you sure the ghost of jeremy beadles' not about
Old 14-03-2010, 14:03   #28
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm assuming this is an open plan style garden. No fencing or otherwise to mark the boundary, just a fair bit of grass. In which case could there be an easy misunderstanding as to where the boundary lay? Might your neighbour even beleive that that bit of garden was his?

The cable installers would be working from the pavement T point to if that was in the wrong place from yeasr ago when the ducts were laid, then everything would follow on now. I'd have to look up definitions but for criminal damage to have been doen by digging up the garden there would have had to be some form of intent or recklessness to cause damage to the garden of another. This is a civil rather than criminal issue.

Although you don't want the service crossing your property, don't just cut the cable. Give notice that you will be doing so both the VM / Cobra and your neighbour. Only cut it once that notice has expired. That way you are continuing to act in a fair and reasonable matter and trying not to escalate a problem. Remember two wrongs don't make a right and rushing into a resolution won't help anyone.

It is important to remember that you don't want to create bad feeling with your neighbour even if it starts from something that isn't your fault. You both have to live there afterwards and bad neighbourt relationships can be a right pain. If you end up falling out in such a way there there is a dispute with him you might be required to declare such a dispute to any prospective purchaser of your property. That will immediately downvalue your home, and make it harder to sell.
does not need to have intent to be criminal damage by definition I believe, As this would be neglect by those who run the cable and malicious by the neighbour who told them to do it. Both I believe could be classed as criminal damage
Old 14-03-2010, 16:45   #29
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. I would not cut the cable.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but they make you feel a whole lot better

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 17:46   #30
rag3d
Inactive

rag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enough

Hi All

Many thanks for all your responses. I have got more detail now, apparently it was done by OpenReach. The neighbour signed as Easement for his property, but the man said he could dig through ours??? Makes no sense, why ask him to sign an easement and then dig though our garden? The neighbour told him that we would not allow it and he seemed to think he was within his right!! So now we will have to see.
rag3d is offline   Reply With Quote