Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sapphire hd 7850 oc 2gb gddr5

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Sapphire hd 7850 oc 2gb gddr5

Old 12-04-2012, 17:50   #1
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Sapphire hd 7850 oc 2gb gddr5

Thinking of buying the above card, anyone got one of these already or are there better out there for a similar price.

thanks
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2012, 01:03   #2
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Sapphire hd 7850 oc 2gb gddr5

Looks like no one has this card yet lol
Old 14-04-2012, 10:12   #3
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/a...ern-islands/11

Nice little review for you there so should help you to decide.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-hd-7850-2gb/5

Another one for you as well.

Not much really around that price range that will perform any better.

I know you can get a Nvidia GTX 480 which will perform around the same, is roughly £20 cheaper but overall it will use more power and run hotter.

The 7850 is a good card for the price but if you can afford it you would be better going for a 7870, as that will give you good performance all round depending on what you want to do with it.
Old 14-04-2012, 14:29   #4
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Looks like the the prices might start to drop shortly as it looks like amd are finally dropping the price of the 7900 cards.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18392298

Personally if It was me I would wait a bit and see what other offerings nvidia come out with.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:08   #5
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Thanks guys appreciate your input
Old 15-04-2012, 08:47   #6
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Looks like the the prices might start to drop shortly as it looks like amd are finally dropping the price of the 7900 cards.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18392298

Personally if It was me I would wait a bit and see what other offerings nvidia come out with.
Yeah they are dropping the prices, and will probably drop abit more once the mid range keplar cards come out.

The annoying thing is that the GTX 680 which I have was apparently meant to be the GTX 660ti but, it performed to good and Nvidia didn't want to release it at the price point for that card which was apparently supposed to be around £250, so they rebadged it the 680 but that is rumours so I will take it with a pinch of salt still annoying though.

Apparently the mid range Keplar card's are due to start arriving around June time, and will cause further drops in prices on the Nvidia GTX 5xx card's as well as the AMD 7 and 6 series card's.

@OP

It is up to you if you want to wait or just jump in now and get a card but there is a wide variety of choices that really you cannot go wrong with at the moment.

The AMD 7 series card's are really good and I was concidering the 7970 myself until I saw the review for the GTX 680, as I prefer to buy the best high end card with the potential of adding a 2nd card in the future.

Apparently the "Real" Keplar card's are due out the end of this year early next year, which apparently according to rumours AMD have not got anything in the pipeline that will come close to it including there dual gpu cards.

If really does depend on how long you want the card to last you and what you want it to do really as to which card you get.

Also don't forget that if you go for AMD 7 series card or Nvidia 6 series card, to get the full potential from it you need a PCI-E 3.0 board, and if you go for a Intel based board you will need ideally a Z77 board and a Ivy Bridge cpu when released, not sure if AMD have anything on the market at the moment to fully utilise the PCI-E 3.0 interface.
Old 18-04-2012, 20:42   #7
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
to get the full potential from it you need a PCI-E 3.0 board
Hm, not sure, but i think mine is a PCI-E 2.0, i thought that if you had any PCI-E motherboard then most cards would be ok, so what you're saying is that my board will not be able to support the above card?
Old 19-04-2012, 01:53   #8
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hm, not sure, but i think mine is a PCI-E 2.0, i thought that if you had any PCI-E motherboard then most cards would be ok, so what you're saying is that my board will not be able to support the above card?
Your board will support the card fine and not be limited at pcie 2 x8. I would say that card would be fine all the way down to pcie 2 x8 which is equivalent to pcie 3 x4, pcie 2 x16 would be preferable for the current highest end single cards 7900's and 680 and I am not even sure if the upcomming dual gpu solutions from amd and nvidia will even need more than pcie 2 x16's maximum and warrant the need for pcie 3.

These are also just limitations at the end of the day you could put any card into a pcie connector wired at 1x and it would work, just nowhere near its potential.
Old 19-04-2012, 23:17   #9
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

PCI-e 2.0 isn't saturated yet so a card supporting 3.0 wouldn't perform any differently than if it didn't.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 23:54   #10
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
pcie 2 x16 would be preferable

Thats what i've got on my motherboard, my board is a ROG Maximus Formula (Special Edition) just had a look at the specs and it should be ok with that card, thanks for all the replies.
Old 20-04-2012, 23:42   #11
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Thats what i've got on my motherboard, my board is a ROG Maximus Formula (Special Edition) just had a look at the specs and it should be ok with that card, thanks for all the replies.
I used to have one of them . But yea more than enough bandwidth with x16.