Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installation and Infrastructure Q&A's

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Design questions: Ingress/rack/cinema

Old 03-05-2011, 09:34   #1
Anonymess
Inactive

Anonymess is an unknown quantity at this point
Design questions: Ingress/rack/cinema

I am sketching out the cabling design for a 17m wide house which has an equipment hub (ethernet switch, server, patch panel for wired network etc) on the second floor at one end, and a TV/cinema room on the ground floor at the other end of the house. It's probably a 30m cable run between these two locations, at a guess.

I would greatly appreciate input from this experienced group on what may be possible (subject to installer visit of course).

1. Which is the better option:
- Put the VM box in the equipment hub, run coax down to the cinema for the TiVo
- Put the VM box and the TiVo in the equipment hub, run HDMI and an IR extender down to the cinema
- Put the VM box and the TiVo in the cinema, run ethernet up to the equipment hub.

I would prefer the first or second option because it puts the equipment into my rack where I can put it on a UPS - so I don't lose broadband if there's a power failure.

Which of these would be feasible/best?

2. If I put the VM box in the equipment hub, it will be on the second floor. What happens with cable ingress? I don't really want the cable terminated internally on the ground floor. Will they terminate externally and allow us to run a cable up the outside wall to the second floor? Or will they run this for us and terminate inside the top floor?

Thanks for your help.
Anonymess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Design questions: Ingress/rack/cinema

Any of those options are feasible, I use the first option myself and have all equipment away from TV and extended by HDMI with battery backup. Great plan!

The tech can discuss the cable route for you on the day, if you prefer your second method then as long as the tech can do it then there shouldn't be a problem.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 17:31   #3
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymess View Post
I would prefer the first or second option because it puts the equipment into my rack where I can put it on a UPS - so I don't lose broadband if there's a power failure.
Just to point out to you, that if you live in a cabled area and are not going to be using ADSL, then you will loose your broadband if there is a power cut. The reason for this is the amplifiers in the street, run off the same power source as the street lights.

ADSL as i'm sure you might already know, gets its power from the BT exchange where the kit is installed.

HTH
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 20:47   #4
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
Just to point out to you, that if you live in a cabled area and are not going to be using ADSL, then you will loose your broadband if there is a power cut. The reason for this is the amplifiers in the street, run off the same power source as the street lights.

ADSL as i'm sure you might already know, gets its power from the BT exchange where the kit is installed.

HTH
Not always, Teleste and the new Arris C-COR 901e are powered over the coax lines and that is taken from the parent Fibre nodes power connection which also has battery backup. Any mains powered cabinet has a backup power system in case of power loss so should be pretty resilient.

Im not aware of areas that have mains powered amps, if they exist then they will be swapped out very soon as they don't meet specification for the new access network standard.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote