Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Install question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Install question

Old 06-10-2017, 20:32   #1
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Install question

Hi

Thinking of upgrading to the new V6 from my old TiVo, the question I have is this V6 box needs to be connected into your Superhub preferably in the same room to work properly?

The issue is my SS2 is in a different room with them connected together by homeplugs and the single connection off the homeplug in the living room goes into a ethernet hub before it goes into my tivo, is that a problem as it is not at the moment for my old Tivo with Virgin Anywhere app currently working perfectly?

Thanks for your help in advance?

best
Mark
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2017, 20:38   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
Hi

Thinking of upgrading to the new V6 from my old TiVo, the question I have is this V6 box needs to be connected into your Superhub preferably in the same room to work properly?

The issue is my SS2 is in a different room with them connected together by homeplugs and the single connection off the homeplug in the living room goes into a ethernet hub before it goes into my tivo, is that a problem as it is not at the moment for my old Tivo with Virgin Anywhere app currently working perfectly?

Thanks for your help in advance?

best
Mark
I have a V6 in the downstairs lounge, another in the upstairs bedroom and the superhub is in a separate upstairs room. I have no problems at all with this arrangement.

However, spiderplant will probably tell you that each house is different, and you may need some technical advice before making that decision.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 20:44   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

If your TiVo connects OK via Homeplugs, chances are a V6 would do too.

Wi-Fi might also work but that's harder to predict
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 20:50   #4
mhatter67

Question Re: Install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If your TiVo connects OK via Homeplugs, chances are a V6 would do too.

Wi-Fi might also work but that's harder to predict
So the connection to SS is mainly about the anywhere’ app controlling the V6 box or is there additional benefits connecting this box to the internet?
Old 06-10-2017, 21:19   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The V6 needs an internet connection to operate, because it doesn't have a built-in cable modem.
Old 06-10-2017, 22:12   #6
mhatter67

Thanks Guys for the info, think I will take a chance!
Old 21-10-2017, 16:01   #7
mhatter67

Sorry for bumping up my thread, i have just had my new V6 box install fine except for one issue, gone to the Virgin Anywhere webpage and on manage my TiVo cannot find my old box to copy the settings from, all help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 21-10-2017, 16:13   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
gone to the Virgin Anywhere webpage and on manage my TiVo cannot find my old box to copy the settings from, all help would be greatly appreciated!
Can you see the old box if you go straight to http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap ? If not, what can you see?
Old 21-10-2017, 16:20   #9
mhatter67

Thumbs up Re: Install question

Quote:
Can you see the old box if you go straight to http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap ? If not, what can you see?
Thanks Spiderplant as allways works perfectly, just could not find the box swop page, I went to

http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/

Best
Mark
Old 21-10-2017, 16:40   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If you go to that page, the boxswap tool should be on a drop-down menu at the top. Is it not?
Old 21-10-2017, 17:24   #11
mhatter67

Quote:
If you go to that page, the boxswap tool should be on a drop-down menu at the top. Is it not?
No but it could be me, but thanks for the direct link!

Best
Mark
Old 22-10-2017, 22:32   #12
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Guys I have a related question. I switch my hub off every night will it affect the V6 in any way?
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 22:49   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Guys I have a related question. I switch my hub off every night will it affect the V6 in any way?
While the hub is off, you won't be able to access any connected features on the V6, such as VOD or apps. And some menus may go slow and have images missing. But broadcast TV and recordings should still work.
Old 22-10-2017, 22:58   #14
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Cheers Spiderplant
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 23:26   #15
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Why do you switch it off?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote