Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

Old 17-04-2012, 11:46   #16
tanny
cf.addict

Services: Sky Digital Virgin Media 500Mb.
tanny is on a distinguished roadtanny is on a distinguished road
Re: Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

Quick update, Just phoned Retention and i have now been upgraded to 100MB for no extra cost.

One point they did mention is that STM in a evening is from 5pm till 11pm & not what the Website stated 5pm till 9pm.
tanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2012, 11:50   #17
Pubmaster
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Pubmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep typical Virgin media, just called to see if i can be upgraded over the phone, within 30 seconds i was told, yes we can do it over the phone as i have the super hub, ten seconds later, errrrr, no we cant do it over the phone because you have TiVo? when i ask what that had to do with anything, i was told that i could wait until the free upgrade was rolled out {unknown} OR i could change my package from VIP50 to VIP100 but it would cost me an "EXTRA £50 PER MONTH"

When i asked what EXTRA i would be getting for this £50pm, i was told an increase from 50mb to 100mb lol, so i asked, so going from 50mb to 100mb is a £50 increase? but come FREE upgrade day not only will i get it for FREE but might even have a few quid knocked of my bill? the answer: YES

I dont know why i bother phoning them to be honest, i dont think i have ONCE phoned them in all the years of being with them, where i have got a simple answer. lol
Pubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:55   #18
tanny
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubmaster View Post
Yep typical Virgin media, just called to see if i can be upgraded over the phone, within 30 seconds i was told, yes we can do it over the phone as i have the super hub, ten seconds later, errrrr, no we cant do it over the phone because you have TiVo? when i ask what that had to do with anything, i was told that i could wait until the free upgrade was rolled out {unknown} OR i could change my package from VIP50 to VIP100 but it would cost me an "EXTRA £50 PER MONTH"

When i asked what EXTRA i would be getting for this £50pm, i was told an increase from 50mb to 100mb lol, so i asked, so going from 50mb to 100mb is a £50 increase? but come FREE upgrade day not only will i get it for FREE but might even have a few quid knocked of my bill? the answer: YES

I dont know why i bother phoning them to be honest, i dont think i have ONCE phoned them in all the years of being with them, where i have got a simple answer. lol
Did you speak to the Retention department? The 1 st time i rang i got fobbed off like you did.
Old 17-04-2012, 12:11   #19
Pubmaster
Inactive

Am gonna leave it till later and let the Mrs phone, last time i tried to get something sorted with them over the phone i ended up cancelling EVERYTHING lol

The Mrs has got more patience than me when talking to them, i know they can get some awkward customers on the line, and its not a job that i would probably enjoy, but to be honest nearly every time i have phoned i have ended up with someone who knows as much about their company's products and prices as i know about quantum physics.
Old 17-04-2012, 14:25   #20
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

After reading this thread I thought I would give it a go. Got through to a nice lady and was upgraded to 100mbit from 50mbit for free and instantly. I also have the tivo box and a spare v+ box in another room... Only problem I have now is that I'm on 100mbit down and 5mbit up
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 14:36   #21
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
Only problem I have now is that I'm on 100mbit down and 5mbit up
That is as it should be as you are on XXL 100. You'll get the 10Mbit upload once the doublespeed work completes in your area
Old 17-04-2012, 14:39   #22
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That is as it should be as you are on XXL 100. You'll get the 10Mbit upload once the doublespeed work completes in your area
Ah ok excellent!
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:06   #23
Pubmaster
Inactive

Glad to hear of your success Rexz, dont know why i always seem to have problems whenever i phone them.

I have the VIP50 package with a {i think 1TB} Tivo box, a V+ in one bedroom, and a standard box in another bedroom, and the super hub.

Still dont know why i cant just upgrade, as i am in the 100mb area :-{
Old 17-04-2012, 15:34   #24
tanny
cf.addict

I have a strange problem & just got off the phone with VM Tech team. If i have my SH in Modem Mode i can only get 50meg.

As soon as i take off Modem Mode i get 95+meg. Tech guy is sending me out a new Wireless modem free of charge.

Question is this common by current Modem is Netgear WGR614v9.

I then thought of just using the SH only but as soon as i take off Modem Mode it works fine with a wired connection but wont let me connect to any wireless devices?

Can anyone suggest any options?

Regards
Old 17-04-2012, 19:03   #25
MPH
cf.member

Services: VM Up to 100Mb broadband
MPH is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so based on this tread I called VM this morning, I was on 50Mb & due to get speed doubled between April & July. Chap on the phone upgraded me over the phone so all good.
Then checked the speed & I was getting 100 down and 5 up... called virgin back & it was explained I would get the full 10Mb up when the speed upgrades are rolled out.
This makes no sense to me as I have had 100Mb in my area for some time now

Should I have the 10Mb up ?
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:05   #26
gumpy321
Inactive

Services: V.I.P 50
gumpy321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Ok so based on this tread I called VM this morning, I was on 50Mb & due to get speed doubled between April & July. Chap on the phone upgraded me over the phone so all good.
Then checked the speed & I was getting 100 down and 5 up... called virgin back & it was explained I would get the full 10Mb up when the speed upgrades are rolled out.

Read further up the page, Ben has explained why.
gumpy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:21   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post

they did the work to make 100mbit available before xmas for a few users who wanted it but there is nowhere near the capacity atm to bump all the 50mbit users onto 100/10 which is why you arent getting the full upgrade until they have been round again and added more capacity.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:37   #28
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubmaster View Post
Are these upgrades done over the phone? or do you need a visit from an engineer?
They told me that I needed an engineer, but after my experience going from 30>50mbps with an engineer visit (he told me he had nothing to do, other than to call the activation line) I told them that I didn't want to have an engineer visit.

They did it over the phone then.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:04   #29
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

They are telling I can't get it but the postcode checker says I can. What a joke.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:18   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
They are telling I can't get it but the postcode checker says I can. What a joke.
Postcode checker is whether 100Mbit is enabled in your area (as everywhere now is), not if there is capacity for the on demand retier