Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brighton Slow Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

200 Mb/s Broadband.

Old 01-05-2012, 14:14   #1
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light
200 Mb/s Broadband.

I know that 100 Mb/s has not long been released and some people are on 120 Mb/s, but how long until 200 Mb/s is available?

VM where testing 200 Mb/s, so is it on the horizon and will we have the same scenario where VM upgrade everyone for nothing or will there be a couple of new packages such as 150 Mb/s and 200 Mb/s. I wouldn't bother with the 150 Mb/s package as it would make more sense in theory to go to 200 Mb/s.
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2012, 14:21   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: 200 Mb/s Broadband.

It'll be the middle of next year before VM finish their current upgrades to 30-60-120, my guess is 200 (or 240) rollout won't start until at least after that. 30-60-200 seems a weird split so my bet is a new package coming out rather than 120 being upgraded.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:32   #3
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

So you think they will add another package which will be 240 Mb/s, even though they were only testing 200 Mb/s.

I am currently on 100 as I had 50 Mb/s broadband, but if you had 100 Mb/s then you get 120 Mb/s with a price drop I believe. Do you know if there is any way you can get put on 120 Mb/s if you only had 50 Mb/s?
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:44   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

If you were on 50 you will get 120 eventually, right now 50 and 100 merge but both will move to 120 at the end. There will be no difference between the two, regardless of whether you started on 50 or 100.
Old 01-05-2012, 19:36   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

because the 100 peeps like myself arent being doubled our price dropped to the same as 50mbit users at the beginning of April. Once they have gone round and wanged all the 50s up to 100, which wont be till next year, then they'll put us all up to 120mbit. By that time though I am hoping it will have changed because I am sure Infinity will have over taken them big time and they'll probably make it 150mbit and rush out a new 250mbit tier.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 21:05   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

No it isn't on the horizon. VM also tested 1.5Gb last year, wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 21:34   #7
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

A lot of folks would be pleased if they could reliably deliver the speeds they were selling before the current round of speed doubling.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 21:43   #8
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It'll be the middle of next year before VM finish their current upgrades to 30-60-120, my guess is 200 (or 240) rollout won't start until at least after that. 30-60-200 seems a weird split so my bet is a new package coming out rather than 120 being upgraded.
maybe either 240 or 120.

or they will go nuts again bumping all tiers so eg. 30 to 50, 60 to 100, and 120 to 200 whilst not increasing STM so 5 mins of downloading is abusive :p
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 22:15   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
No it isn't on the horizon. VM also tested 1.5Gb last year, wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
how did they do that? Was it on the existing infrastructure?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 22:46   #10
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Your contacts not keeping you informed ?
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 23:56   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
Your contacts not keeping you informed ?
Not in the slightest, the really good ones left!

I'm rather in the dark which is fine as I've some other issues to deal with.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 200Mb were coming eventually but not any time soon due to requiring realistically 8 downstreams to make it work with the size of VM's service groups.

The 1.5Gb was a technical trial involving load balancing 2 CPE that aren't widely available so while I'm sure it's technically feasible I'm not aware of the commercial case.

Corrections welcome!
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 00:51   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Funny how you used to have enough faith in VM you thought they might - just might - even manage to make 400mbps run properly on 8 downstream channels.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:25   #13
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

VM tests report 1.5GB
http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...band-2131.aspx
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13   #14
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

And just how relevant to the real world this ever becomes is questionable, quote:

"As people are simultaneously connecting more gadgets to the internet and doing more online than ever before, we wanted to explore what our unique fibre optic network is capable of. At speeds of up to 1.5Gb, Virgin Media is delivering some of the fastest broadband in the world and, thanks to our ongoing investment, we're able to anticipate and lead the way in meeting growing demand for bandwidth as future services and applications come online."

"Unique fibre optic network" = unique only in as much as it's use of fibre optic differs from any other "fibre optic network".

I can't be bothered to point out the other glaring errors and/or omissions. I'm sure other vastly more informed people will do so. I certainly hope so
Old 02-05-2012, 07:24   #15
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
So you think they will add another package which will be 240 Mb/s, even though they were only testing 200 Mb/s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Funny how you used to have enough faith in VM you thought they might - just might - even manage to make 400mbps run properly on 8 downstream channels.
You might recall that I was in the Coventry 200Mb trial group. From that group I was selected to have a modem configured for 8 bonded channels down, 2 up. I achieved 380Mb, but this was because the head end had only been set for 385Mb down/ 25Mb up. By then the trial had been relabeled 'proof of concept trial'. The trial co-ordinator was satisfied that 400Mb+ could have been achieved. Granted, that this was on a dedicated pipe with 1Gb in reserve if needed. The reserve was never needed though.

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 ----------
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote