Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Flashed by a speed camera

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Flashed by a speed camera

Old 19-06-2007, 20:58   #31
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Re: Flashed by a speed camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop101 View Post
I can't find the info that I saw a couple of years ago now I also read that they flash to fool people into thinking they are active when they have no film in them.
That is correct, the Police can't afford to arm all the cameras because the workings are to expensive, they move them around to different sites fooling the public that the camera is still armed when it's not.
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2007, 21:08   #32
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Grrrrrrr....what is it with me and speed cameras! I don't drive fast - I think I'm quite careful...most of the time.

Tonight I was flashed by a Gatso camera.
I knew it was there.
I saw it.
I've seen it hundreds of times.
I've been past it hundreds of times.

So what happened then? I accelerated to get in front of a bus which was parked up in a bus stop and probably was about to indicate to come back out.

Now - this camera was on the other side of the road - and there are camera road markings (the dashes that they reference against) on the other side of the road only.

Do you think I just set it off 'cus I was going a bit fast past the bus?

Can they catch up with me and give me a fine / points even though they have no markings to reference the speed against?

I only saw the one flash...
AFAIK, the standard Gatsos are designed to be rear-firing and they can't prosecute drivers coming the other way. I was flashed by a camera on the other side once and never received an NIP

Apparently, the fake speed cameras are the ones that flash oncoming vehicles. They have cheaper speed detectors which can't tell the difference between a positive and negative speed. I do know that some do flash oncoming, and some don't, so that could explain it. I just heard it on another forum though.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 13:14   #33
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Thanks Gavin - you'll be pleased to hear I slept well last night!
Old 20-06-2007, 14:16   #34
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Grrrrrrr....what is it with me and speed cameras! I don't drive fast - I think I'm quite careful...most of the time.

Tonight I was flashed by a Gatso camera.
I knew it was there.
I saw it.
I've seen it hundreds of times.
I've been past it hundreds of times.

So what happened then? I accelerated to get in front of a bus which was parked up in a bus stop and probably was about to indicate to come back out.

Now - this camera was on the other side of the road - and there are camera road markings (the dashes that they reference against) on the other side of the road only.

Do you think I just set it off 'cus I was going a bit fast past the bus?

Can they catch up with me and give me a fine / points even though they have no markings to reference the speed against?

I only saw the one flash...
If you were driving towards a GATSO thats on the other side of the road and it goes off you wont hear anything. Thats happened to me before and people seemed to suggest at the time that it was a fake as it cant tell which direction you are travelling in.
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:22   #35
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Thanks W&C! ANother vote for the "you won't hear nowt" pot!
Old 13-07-2007, 12:44   #36
Kat and Moo
Inactive

Kat and Moo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
If you were driving towards a GATSO thats on the other side of the road and it goes off you wont hear anything. Thats happened to me before and people seemed to suggest at the time that it was a fake as it cant tell which direction you are travelling in.
I was driving towards a Gatso Camara last week, 4th July 07 the lines were only on the oncoming lane the Gatso was in. yet the camara flashed in my face. I turned around and drove back to investigate. there were no lines in my lane or a Gazto camara but there were lines further down in my lane. So the camara only took my picture in the wrong lane without lines and face on.

THE NEWS HERE...I recieved a letter saying I was speeding. I telephoned drivingoffence.com and they said they have never heard of such a thing...I will write back to the police and tell them that I want my case heard in court and see what they say...Possibly they are trying to pull a stroke...
Kat and Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:57   #37
smiffing
Inactive

Services: VM 2 Mb Vm basic television VM telephone
smiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nicesmiffing is just really nice

I am sure that there is a case to be had against front facing speed cameras, if I am in my car and get flashed by one I should get a fine, how do these work for motorbikes?
Surely this is discrimination against the motorist?
smiffing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:58   #38
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Some older gatsos if I remember correctly, can't work out the difference between a positive and a negative speed, question is, were you actually speeding? If so then why complain?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 08:15   #39
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Some older gatsos if I remember correctly, can't work out the difference between a positive and a negative speed, question is, were you actually speeding? If so then why complain?
Zeph, what's a "negative speed"?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 12:38   #40
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Zeph, what's a "negative speed"?
Think Scalar instead of Vector (or was that the other way around - I'm a little hungover )
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 17:26   #41
Aaccee
Inactive

Aaccee is an unknown quantity at this point

Im confused - i was driving to work on the Hagley road, where i was flashed by the opposite side camera; i was no where near the sensors on the road on my side, yet the other camera flashed!? - will i be receiving a fine?
Please Reply...
Thank You...
(PS) Which side does the camera flash for it to be my fine?...
Aaccee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 17:31   #42
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

3 year old thread ressurected.... Wow.

I would actually think that there would be a case against Gatso's on the basis of safety, the flash from a GATSO on the opposite side could distract an oncoming motorist and potentially cause an accident...

Aside from that, read the thread, it should give you some insight.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 17:36   #43
zing_deleted

the GATSO on the other side of the road will always flash into oncoming traffic no matter where is it triggered though.
Old 10-04-2010, 17:36   #44
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

most cameras (not all)will only flash you when you go past it NOT as you aproach it if the camera was on the other side of the road facing you and it flashed then it will probably be because another car has gone through to fast on the other side of the road
Old 10-04-2010, 17:38   #45
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Does anyone else find it amusing that Lord Nikon posts in a camera thread?

I'm looking forward to reading posts from Baron Pentax and Prince Hasselblad.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote