Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 03-04-2012, 11:27   #151
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
This dosnt seem at all fair. I am paying exactly the same as 100Mb customers, being on xxl50, yet I can only download half the amount before I'm traffic managed, at that point I'll get 25mb speeds so a quarter of the 100mb peeps for the same price.

Surely this cant be correct? I'm only due to be doubled between oct and july 2013, so I'll be paying for a far inferior service for between 7 months and 15 months.

Regards

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
Im already paying the same as 100MB customers, but only getting a 50Mb service, with worse STM terms. Thats my point.
John can you explain this to me? I am on XXL 50mb and have been told the same that my speed will double between October 2012 and July 2013. I have always paid a premium for 50mb due to lack of STM but now this looks to me like this is a big impact for potentially over a year. Why do you (myself as well?) pay the same as 100mb customer I do not understand. Apologies, I am not too clued up on the area of broadband tier pricing but understand that there is/was a 100mb tier AND a 120mb tier?

I have also now just read in another thread that one cannot downgrade to 30mb now to get the "free" upgrade to 60mb, although I may be interpreting this incorrectly.

Overall I feel let down as a loyal VM customer right now, and that there is no point paying a premium for 50mb anymore.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2012, 11:33   #152
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Yeah cause there really isnt any legal way to download a lot of data...Patch World of Warcraft or use the download to play, buy some games from Steam, download Windows 8 beta etc there are plenty of legal ways to use a lot of data and its certainly normal internet activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
And don't mention using bit torrent to mirror the Raspberry pie isos like i am

Remember people think Bit Torrent is for illegal use only
Yes, because mirroring isos is pretty normal, right? Downloading the Warcraft client every day, and buying games from Steam every day, and downloading Windows 8 every day is normal, right?

Do you think that VM are implementing these measure because of people updating Warcraft, or downloading Windows 8, or watching streamed media?

You see it every day on here, and other sites, nod and winks about downloading 'linux iso images', complaints about throttled newsgroups, boasts about how many GB a night people can squirrel away.

People squealing about how 'their' usage is completely above board and "how dare" others suggest otherwise seem to be protesting a little too much. I'm sure that there are some, quite uncommon, legitimate reasons why somebody would be maxing out their 100Mb connection 24/7, but on the whole, nah, people are generally going at it hammer and tongs.

Unless we include that aspect in the discussion of STM, then it's a waste of time, as people seem reluctant to even acknowledge the existence of such activities, when in fact they seem the main reason for having STM at all.
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:37   #153
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
but understand that there is/was a 100mb tier AND a 120mb tier?
There are currently two 100Mbit tiers. XXL 100 and the original 100Mbit. 120Mbit hasn't launched yet but when it does both 100Mbit tiers will be uplifted to 120Mbit as part of the programme

Quote:
I have also now just read in another thread that one cannot downgrade to 30mb now to get the "free" upgrade to 60mb, although I may be interpreting this incorrectly.
That's because all speed changes are onto the new tiers. So techincally if you downgraded from XXL to XL you would actually go from 50Mbit to 60Mbit. Asking to go onto 30Mbit would take you down to L
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44   #154
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
Yes, because mirroring isos is pretty normal, right? Downloading the Warcraft client every day, and buying games from Steam every day, and downloading Windows 8 every day is normal, right?

Do you think that VM are implementing these measure because of people updating Warcraft, or downloading Windows 8, or watching streamed media?

You see it every day on here, and other sites, nod and winks about downloading 'linux iso images', complaints about throttled newsgroups, boasts about how many GB a night people can squirrel away.

People squealing about how 'their' usage is completely above board and "how dare" others suggest otherwise seem to be protesting a little too much. I'm sure that there are some, quite uncommon, legitimate reasons why somebody would be maxing out their 100Mb connection 24/7, but on the whole, nah, people are generally going at it hammer and tongs.

Unless we include that aspect in the discussion of STM, then it's a waste of time, as people seem reluctant to even acknowledge the existence of such activities, when in fact they seem the main reason for having STM at all.
It's not always about maxing the connection out day in, day out, weeks upon end. It's about downloading a big chunk just as a one off during peak times (when you might want to use it) is going to grant you 5 hours of STM. People dislike being penalised for using their high speed connection to download a one off large chunk at a desirable time to them. If that is the only large chunk they download all month, that's not a particularly fair and intelligent STM model. For "repeat offenders" literally leaching/seeding 24/7 torrents then yes, they should be STM'd. If you can't intelligtently and fairly do STM, then don't do it all is the argument.

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There are currently two 100Mbit tiers. XXL 100 and the original 100Mbit. 120Mbit hasn't launched yet but when it does both 100Mbit tiers will be uplifted to 120Mbit as part of the programme

That's because all speed changes are onto the new tiers. So techincally if you downgraded from XXL to XL you would actually go from 50Mbit to 60Mbit. Asking to go onto 30Mbit would take you down to L
So does this mean I am paying more than an EX 30mb user and receiving 10mb less? Ah I find this all so confusing. John above mentioned he is paying the same as a 100mb user? How is this so?
I also read of "everywhere is 100mb enabled now" yet I will not get doubled up from 50 to 100 until October 2012 - July 2013. Why is there a delay if 100mb is enabled and ready?

Sorry for all the questions.

I think a really helpful thread (sticky) would be the history of all tiers/pricing/stm etc. I certainly do not understand it well enough to do it, but you might Ben.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:49   #155
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

This is reason enough for me to be glad that I no longer work for the company and will not have to answer any queries about this new traffic management.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:49   #156
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post

Yeah I download WoW every day just so I can have the files fresh and make sure they are up to date.....

Seriously it was only a couple of examples of downloads that could make you hit the STM so why should you be punished for using your connection for something you paid for?

Fact is with more and more content online streaming, VOD, you buy a game and have to DOWNLOAD it, etc its really not hard to see that this is a step backwards people buy their broad band because of their usage which is why I think a lot of people are unhappy. I don't download 100gb's every month but I would like to be able to do a big download if I have without getting punished for it on the day.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00   #157
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Yeah I download WoW every day just so I can have the files fresh and make sure they are up to date.....

Seriously it was only a couple of examples of downloads that could make you hit the STM so why should you be punished for using your connection for something you paid for?

Fact is with more and more content online streaming, VOD, you buy a game and have to DOWNLOAD it, etc its really not hard to see that this is a step backwards people buy their broad band because of their usage which is why I think a lot of people are unhappy. I don't download 100gb's every month but I would like to be able to do a big download if I have without getting punished for it on the day.
So would I, and how VM implement their STM is a (slightly) different discussion. I agree that it should be more intelligent than the current blunt instrument it is. I suspect though, that it is far easier (not to mention cheaper) to set up an STM system activated by dumb triggers.

As mentioned earlier, the cut in speed by 50% rather than 75% is better, and I can't really think of much that would suffer from 'only' having a 50Mb download speed. I don't know how STM affects other aspects of the service, but I'd imagine that a decrease in ping/jitter quality would not be that noticeable, especially if the rest of the family is HD streaming, uploading to FTP sites, etc.
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 13:45   #158
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
Yeah.

Old: http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tm-table-fu-large.jpg

You just go down to 50% speed instead of 75% speed when STM'd.

I'm sure someone said the threshold's were changing too. I Must have misunderstood.
thanks for confirming.

so basically the new limits for the 60 and 100 are not increased in proportion to the speed those guys get less per mbit.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 13:47   #159
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Blairhoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 50meg package.

I will be watching the football tonight online in HD does that mean once it hits 5000MB my video is going to start stuttering etc?!
Blairhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 13:50   #160
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

As HD only requires something like 2.5mb, then no, probably not
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 13:55   #161
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

HD streaming uses more than that.

Netflix HD requires 5Mb for 720p streaming and 8Mb for 1080p.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:57   #162
Blairhoyle
Inactive

seriously this internet talk does my brain in.

for the first few months with Virgin I couldn't have been happier, that has started eroding away.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:57   #163
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
HD streaming uses more than that.

Netflix HD requires 5Mb for 720p streaming and 8Mb for 1080p.
Oh, okay. Sorry. Thought I'd read that figure somewhere. Okay. Well, I don't think the 50 meg services is reduced to <10 is it?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 14:03   #164
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Oh, okay. Sorry. Thought I'd read that figure somewhere. Okay. Well, I don't think the 50 meg services is reduced to <10 is it?

I take it that it only get reduced if you go over your traffic management allowance?

from 4pm-9pm I take it all speeds are lowered?
Old 03-04-2012, 14:06   #165
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhoyle View Post
I take it that it only get reduced if you go over your traffic management allowance?
Yes

Quote:
from 4pm-9pm I take it all speeds are lowered?
Yes but 50Mbit gets reduced to 25Mbit - still enough for two Netflix HD streams plus an SD one