Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

Old 12-11-2016, 09:27   #61
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
According to this, the start for an engineer is just over 22K.

http://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/Ou...fits/index.htm
Starting salary, and that's for the National Ops teams. Who mainly do installs and very basic repairs. That new National Ops pay grade was brought in so that OR could reduce its reliance on contractors for installs, which it has done.

Most Openreach engineers tha you see are on the BT B2 grade which starts at about £24k and maxes out at roughly £29k after 5 years. There's no bonuses or anything like that. Of course you then get overtime on top of that so most OR engineers will be on a good bit more than £30k as end of day overtime is unavoidable and some choose to work Sundays. Or occasionally are forced to work Sundays due to workload, but at least it is paid a lot a good rate.

Last edited by MrIca; 12-11-2016 at 09:36.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2016, 18:03   #62
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I wonder if BT pay their engineers more because their work is more dangerous ie working up telegraph poles as opposed to working at ground level??

Are all BT engineers expected to go up a pole when this is required, or only certain trained personnel?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-11-2016 at 18:09.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 19:38   #63
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

From what l have heard, and been told by outside contractors of VM. VM is a terrible company to work for.

I was told by contractors in Ealing where l work, that contractors are being down from the North to rectify work that is being done by contractors in the London area.

I think that BT/Sky/VM just want the work done so they can get the custom. So therefore management ouch out the work. And if they cannot get the staff to do it, get someone else
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 19:44   #64
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
From what l have heard, and been told by outside contractors of VM. VM is a terrible company to work for.

I was told by contractors in Ealing where l work, that contractors are being down from the North to rectify work that is being done by contractors in the London area.

I think that BT/Sky/VM just want the work done so they can get the custom. So therefore management ouch out the work. And if they cannot get the staff to do it, get someone else
Vm is NOT a bad company to work for i have worked for 20 yrs in cable and if it was bad do you honestly think i would be working there. Get your facts right Arthur before you post your rant as it is making you look like an idiot as usual.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 23:00   #65
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder if BT pay their engineers more because their work is more dangerous ie working up telegraph poles as opposed to working at ground level??

Are all BT engineers expected to go up a pole when this is required, or only certain trained personnel?
Everyone has to go up the poles.

I think the wages are higher because the twisted pair network has more weak points and is harder to repair. Honestly it can be an absolute frustrating struggle working on a 70 year old twisted pair copper and often aluminium network. Some of it isn't ducted and with the cables being 50-300 pairs you've got to be able to take measurements to fault find, and intervene in the correct jointbox.

I could be wrong but I imagine a lot of the time on faults with Virgin Media it should be possible to do a repull. With BT's network the equivalent of a repull just isn't possible.
Old 13-11-2016, 07:36   #66
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I suspect it's more to do with union influence at BT that accounts for the wage differential. Although I've noticed that both companies alsouse outsourced companies for installs (not exclusively) and that can lead to reduced wages which dusplace into profits.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 09:06   #67
Mr Banana

OTE for VM techs is 28K, however there is always overtime available as well according to my mate in Nottingham. They also get additional payments for great Customer Service which is measured via direct feedback from customers when they fill in a survey.

https://careers.virginmedia.com/job-...s?id=IRC255689
Old 13-11-2016, 14:58   #68
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
OTE for VM techs is 28K, however there is always overtime available as well according to my mate in Nottingham. They also get additional payments for great Customer Service which is measured via direct feedback from customers when they fill in a survey.

https://careers.virginmedia.com/job-...s?id=IRC255689
What does OTE mean? Why is your figure different to the other poster?
Old 13-11-2016, 16:20   #69
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Vm is NOT a bad company to work for i have worked for 20 yrs in cable and if it was bad do you honestly think i would be working there. Get your facts right Arthur before you post your rant as it is making you look like an idiot as usual.
Yet I worked for them and thought they were a terrible company to work for. I think, like most companies, there are good and bad positions within it. Depending on which department you work in and which managers, etc. you have, your experience can vary greatly.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 16:24   #70
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
What does OTE mean? Why is your figure different to the other poster?
On target earnings I think, my figure is from VM's job site, the link takes you to it
Old 13-11-2016, 18:45   #71
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
On target earnings I think, my figure is from VM's job site, the link takes you to it
I followed the link and guessed myself that it meant on target earnings. But I'm still not really sure what it means! Is that what you would earn or not? BT just have a pay scale, with a bottom and top figure. You get a pay rise every year until you reach the top of the pay scale. Then you just get any union agreed cost of living pay rise going forward.
Old 13-11-2016, 19:04   #72
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
I followed the link and guessed myself that it meant on target earnings. But I'm still not really sure what it means! Is that what you would earn or not? BT just have a pay scale, with a bottom and top figure. You get a pay rise every year until you reach the top of the pay scale. Then you just get any union agreed cost of living pay rise going forward.
You would get the OTE figure if you performed well enough according to targets set.

BT is beginning to have problems. Engineers/techs who have been there for 15 years are on Final Salary Pension scheme and won't be leaving in a hurry. Newer engineers would be looking around to see who will pay them more - though nobody wants to pay them more because of the broadband pricing race.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 20:39   #73
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I've worked for VM for 21 years, and they are not ( from my experience) a terrrble company, far from it.

Quote:
And your point is?

Quote:
Don't comment on things you quite obviously have no knowledge of, or experience of, it may make you look stupid!
Old 14-11-2016, 08:00   #74
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You would get the OTE figure if you performed well enough according to targets set.

BT is beginning to have problems. Engineers/techs who have been there for 15 years are on Final Salary Pension scheme and won't be leaving in a hurry. Newer engineers would be looking around to see who will pay them more - though nobody wants to pay them more because of the broadband pricing race.
What makes you think newer engineers would be looking around to see who would pay them more?

I've never heard that said to be honest, most seem very happy and the few people that have left over the last few years have been sacked! No one would pay more anyway, for their skill set. Along with KC in Hull the network is unique, so where do you think they'd go?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:32   #75
Handymant100
Inactive

Handymant100 is an unknown quantity at this point

They could start with the mobile technical support team, that would also improve the service!
Handymant100 is offline   Reply With Quote