Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM in New House

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

VM in New House

Old 05-12-2016, 10:51   #1
sinewave
Inactive

sinewave is an unknown quantity at this point
VM in New House

Hi, I'm buying a new house which is in the process of being built and I've noted that VM will be installed as standard. Unfortunately, the standard install puts the VM outlets in the lounge area of the house and I would like an outlet in a different room. I can get hold of the VM shotgun cable and so can run an extension from the lounge to another location, I would only have 1 VM receiver connected at anyone time. My question is: what would be the best way to split the VM signal at the lounge to the other outlet, I'm guessing that I would use a broadband RF splitter, but is there a preferred component or does anyone have a recommendation. Any help would be appreciated.
sinewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2016, 11:09   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: VM in New House

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...itter&_sacat=0
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:11   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

A VM installer should do this for you as part of the install. The most you should need to do is have any awkward cable routes prepared (floor boards lifted or your own ducting installed, with string for pulling through).

You might get brownie points for pre installing official VM cable but I very much doubt they will allow you to use your own supplied splitter. Besides, why pay extra money for the stuff they will provide as part of the service?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 19:27   #4
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Don't use any of those splitters. And be wary of cable. Air blown/honeycomb coax causes all sorts of grief
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 22:55   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I like honey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_5-DhV1gE
Old 06-12-2016, 01:12   #6
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

You cant use shotgun cable inside the house I gather, which is why VM only use it as far as omni then separate coax and telephone cables from that point onwards.

Something to do with toxic fumes produced when burned.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 13:17   #7
sinewave
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
You cant use shotgun cable inside the house I gather, which is why VM only use it as far as omni then separate coax and telephone cables from that point onwards.

Something to do with toxic fumes produced when burned.
My understanding from the site electrician is that the "shotgun" cable is fed into the house to the lounge area where it is split to the 2 output points, Data & RF.

vm_tech
"Don't use any of those splitters. And be wary of cable. Air blown/honeycomb coax causes all sorts of grief"

Can you offer a splitter option that I could use. Alternatively, I suppose that I could directly connect the extension cable at the VM outlet (using F type connectors is perhaps possible). This could remain concealed within the outlet and behind the dry lining.

What are thoughts on using WT100 coax as an alternative to the "shotgun" option.

Rgds
Old 06-12-2016, 14:13   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cable.htm
Old 06-12-2016, 17:16   #9
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinewave View Post
My understanding from the site electrician is that the "shotgun" cable is fed into the house to the lounge area where it is split to the 2 output points, Data & RF.

vm_tech
"Don't use any of those splitters. And be wary of cable. Air blown/honeycomb coax causes all sorts of grief"

Can you offer a splitter option that I could use. Alternatively, I suppose that I could directly connect the extension cable at the VM outlet (using F type connectors is perhaps possible). This could remain concealed within the outlet and behind the dry lining.

What are thoughts on using WT100 coax as an alternative to the "shotgun" option.

Rgds
Shotgun shouldn't be.

it should be fed into a brown Omni box outside your house.

then from that Omni box it splits telecom and coax as 2 separate cables.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 17:56   #10
sinewave
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
Shotgun shouldn't be.

it should be fed into a brown Omni box outside your house.

then from that Omni box it splits telecom and coax as 2 separate cables.
Thanks for this info, I'll double check on site during my visit next week. Do you know what standard of coax cable is used internally from the omi box?
Old 06-12-2016, 17:58   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It always used to be the case that a competent VM installer would refuse to hook anything up to a DIY job within the house.

The fact that the OP thinks f-connectors are "perhaps possible" (rather than a standard part of a CATV install) leaves me thinking he really doesn't have a clue what's required here and really needs to just leave well alone and let the VM installer handle it.

As I said earlier, put cable runs wherever you need them, with cord for pulling the cable through at a later date. You are at risk of wasting a lot of time and money unnecessarily.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:32   #12
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

If you must run internal cable pre-install then only use Webro HD100. Most satellite cable is only double screened. VM spec requires the use of triple screened cable indoors.

http://www.webro.com/coaxial/tv-satellite/hd100-cable/
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 16:05   #13
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Can you not ask for an extra point to be fitted if the building is still at first fix? The standard fix for VM in new builds is 2 points, any extra will require wiring from a separate internal point where an HDU can be fitted. Ask your site sales rep if this is possible, otherwise you will have to ask the electrician directly or finally wait until you move in and have a VM tech install for you.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote