Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading from 50mb to 100mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Old 01-04-2012, 21:35   #1
foddy
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 50Mbps
foddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Over the last few weeks (months?), I've been having awful trouble with performance. Normally, I get 50Mbps without problem, but sometimes (and more frequently) it all goes to pot - massive packet loss.

In the cable modem logs, at the start of the problems:

Usually, it fixes itself after about half an hour. Sometimes it results in no connection at all, and a firewall reboot fixes it.

I've called VM about it in the past, and it's always seemed OK at the time. I don't know if it's a problem with my modem, the area (St Albans) or something else.

My wife wants me to jump ship to BT Infinity, but I'd rather have VM if it works... there's also the 100Mbps upgrade due soon - but that could make things better OR worse.

It's a VMNG300 mode. Signal levels all look pretty good.

Any suggestions?
foddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2012, 21:46   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I had a similar thing happen to me - do you have a superhub? if so does the blue light which is normally flashing go steady when you have poor performance?

In my case it was an intermittent problem which caused the SNR to plummet at times, this corresponded with the blue light staying on solid as opposed to flashing.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:25   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I get T3 timeouts every now and now again, I think it is something to do with too much noise on the network. Whatever you do dont let VM tell you the modem is faulty and swap it over with the shub. The shub doesnt even display your T3 and T4 timeouts so you dont have a clue what is going on.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 19:14   #4
foddy
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 50Mbps
foddy is an unknown quantity at this point

All the lights look normal, I just get massive packet loss. I think the T3 timeouts (on the upstream) are a result of the problems, rather than the cause. It seems to be worst early evening, but can happen at any time. I suspect it's capacity-related.

Anyway, it's been too wife-unfriendly, I'm afraid. BT Infinity ordered - wish me luck!
foddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 22:03   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

if you think you have got it bad look at this

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Correctable Codewords 2438 2165 2242 2131
Uncorrectable Codewords 36723 38581 38493 35012

I am not complaining though because I havent suffered any performance loss at all.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote