Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin cable in my close

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

virgin cable in my close

Old 08-03-2012, 02:06   #1
harryc05
Inactive

harryc05 is an unknown quantity at this point
virgin cable in my close

hi, i may be moving in a few weeks into a home in a private close that was built in 2007, i have checked for virgin media services and it says it is not in a cable area. from the research i have done the 11 or so houses in this close are the only homes that do not get virgin cable services. all of other other homes within a mile radius of the 11 houses do get cable from virgin and i am in need of fast broadband that they offer.

the close is not big at all either.

is there anything i can do?

i just cant see my self living with the estimated 3.5mbits from BT and the other non fibre providers
harryc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 03:47   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: virgin cable in my close

have you checked if you can get bt infinity?

sorry im replying from my phone, theres a thread on here thats got direct VM contact details to employees that handle this sort of thing. use the search button mate. ill try find it

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

email address..

Quote:
cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:47   #3
harryc05
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
have you checked if you can get bt infinity?

sorry im replying from my phone, theres a thread on here thats got direct VM contact details to employees that handle this sort of thing. use the search button mate. ill try find it
Thanks for replying done the bt infinity checker on the bt infinity sight and all it said is i can get BT total broadband with speeds of between 2.5 and 6.0mb which in my eyes as i've had virgins 20 for a long time a hell of a lot slower and horrible (im a heavy downloader)

oh right any help with those contacts would be great, i dont really know what im searching for

thanks for replying
Old 08-03-2012, 03:54   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

posted the VM email addy uptop.. drop them an email.

bt checker... check through both the address checker and the postcode checker...

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

try this too.. the postcode will be enough to get results ignore tel number...

www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker
Old 08-03-2012, 04:07   #5
harryc05
Inactive

thanks for the email thenry and for the samknows site, it says that FTTC or infinity should be in my new home now but it is not and when i do post code checks on the infinity checker around me apparently they will get it on the 31st of march. but when i do my postal code it says nothing but the slow bt total broadband of 3.0-6.0mb

im really starting to think especially with it being a gated road that neither virgin or bt will ever put better broadband in my road
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc05 View Post
thanks for the email thenry and for the samknows site, it says that FTTC or infinity should be in my new home now but it is not and when i do post code checks on the infinity checker around me apparently they will get it on the 31st of march. but when i do my postal code it says nothing but the slow bt total broadband of 3.0-6.0mb

im really starting to think especially with it being a gated road that neither virgin or bt will ever put better broadband in my road
You could try HERE but as it is a gated community it may not be allowed within the terms and conditions.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58   #7
thenry
Inactive

give BT a call or chat to them...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact#h...U2MzgsNTYzOSJ9
Old 08-03-2012, 11:20   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
hi, i may be moving in a few weeks into a home in a private close that was built in 2007, i have checked for virgin media services and it says it is not in a cable area. from the research i have done the 11 or so houses in this close are the only homes that do not get virgin cable services. all of other other homes within a mile radius of the 11 houses do get cable from virgin and i am in need of fast broadband that they offer.

the close is not big at all either.

is there anything i can do?

i just cant see my self living with the estimated 3.5mbits from BT and the other non fibre providers
If you are in a private road then it's a question of whether your neighbours are prepared to have the road and their driveways dug up. Most private roads were left out of original build, as when cable started years ago it was TV only and the residents elected not to have the ducting installed. Most private roads therefore just have a terminating cab at the end of the road and that's it.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Gated communities sound fantastic until you start to add up all the other things the gates keep out ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:58   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:

Chances are if Infinity is scheduled for this month you'll probably get it before anything from VM.

Not to mention Infinity is unlimited when VM isn't, so if you're a heavy downloader you're better off there.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Gated communities sound fantastic until you start to add up all the other things the gates keep out ...
Especially when one neighbour isn't interested.. With the road/path being private VM I believe needs the permission of all the owners of that road to agree to laying any cables which means it just takes one NO to scupper any plans..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55   #12
thenry
Inactive

oh who are these poor people and their cables. no we have our British Telecoms homehub thank you very much.

but I want more speed.

speed whats this speed you speak of?

its what your crappy British telecoms line can't do!

noooo, i think one shall pass on this cable being put in.. Sandra has a bad headache you see. we wouldn't want her to suffer now would we!

no, your just wiped. goodday!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

More than likely a case of "The digging will ruin the road and the noise will be unbearable.. I want it just the way we have it"..

Otherwise known as NIMBYs
Old 08-03-2012, 13:06   #14
thenry
Inactive

nothing plant pots can't sort out
Old 08-03-2012, 13:07   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

You know that and I know that but Nimbys want it perfect and just as they moved in, at least in the real world they have no real power but why do you think they live in the gated communities as they have all the power to dictate their surroundings as they like