Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What should my upload speed be? [2Mb - Updated]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

What should my upload speed be? [2Mb - Updated]

Old 06-12-2008, 22:50   #1
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads
What should my upload speed be? [2Mb - Updated]

Hi guys! I am on the 2mb, and this is my speedtest:

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2008-12-06 21:47:38)
Download: 1922 Kbit/s
Upload : 185 kbit/s
Connects : 2553 conn/min
Ping: 22 ms

My cable modem says:

Quote:
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000 Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Is my upload MEANT to be 200kbps? I thought it was meant to be 256kbps? I am on VM CABLE, not ADSL.

dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2008, 23:04   #2
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer
Re: What should my upload speed be?

Some ex NTL customers have an upload of 200 instead of 256, due I think to legacy platform issues, it is supposed to be being sorted.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:19   #3
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

When I was on the 2mb connection I never got over 200, it was generally round the 170- 190 mark.

BTW I don't know if your aware, but VM are offering all 2mb customers a free month on 10mb as part of their 12 days of Christmas campaign.

http://www.virginmediapeople.com/12days/
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:12   #4
darkbeing
Inactive

darkbeing is an unknown quantity at this point

those are pretty good speeds
darkbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 15:47   #5
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
Some ex NTL customers have an upload of 200 instead of 256, due I think to legacy platform issues, it is supposed to be being sorted.
I see, thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
When I was on the 2mb connection I never got over 200, it was generally round the 170- 190 mark.

BTW I don't know if your aware, but VM are offering all 2mb customers a free month on 10mb as part of their 12 days of Christmas campaign.

http://www.virginmediapeople.com/12days/
Yeah I got that letter, but I thought no point in trying it for only 1 month I especially could not afford to pay for it if I forgot to change back

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbeing View Post
those are pretty good speeds
Thanks, but upload is not too good
Old 07-12-2008, 15:58   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The problem is that VM is made from a lot of different companies (NTL/BY/C&W to name a few) Each one had a seperate standard...VM have from reports on this forum slowly started to standardise the standards and people on 2Mb have started to report that thier upload has increased from 200Kb to 256Kb..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 18:16   #7
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The problem is that VM is made from a lot of different companies (NTL/BY/C&W to name a few) Each one had a seperate standard...VM have from reports on this forum slowly started to standardise the standards and people on 2Mb have started to report that thier upload has increased from 200Kb to 256Kb..
Kymmy you are from Bedford? I use to live there... on London Road
Where do u live exactly if not MK/Bedford/Luton lol
Old 08-12-2008, 21:06   #8
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
Somehow I doubt that Kymmy will give out her exact address to a stranger over the internet.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:30   #9
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Hi guys! I am on the 2mb, and this is my speedtest:

(Copied on 2008-12-06 21:47:38)
Download: 1922 Kbit/s
Upload : 185 kbit/s
Connects : 2553 conn/min
Ping: 22 ms

My cable modem says:

Is my upload MEANT to be 200kbps? I thought it was meant to be 256kbps? I am on VM CABLE, not ADSL.

from that tho, it says ur download is 20mb and upload is 200k.

The cable modem bit where the first poster said MY CABLE MODEM SAYS i am on about.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52   #10
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
from that tho, it says ur download is 20mb and upload is 200k.

The cable modem bit where the first poster said MY CABLE MODEM SAYS i am on about.
It does say 2Mb unless by your sums he is getting a close to 2Mb upload
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04   #11
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

To avoid confusion, perhaps everyone should use octets in future?
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Somehow I doubt that Kymmy will give out her exact address to a stranger over the internet.
Actually Barton-Le-Clay (MK45) ..I don't have any issues with people knowing the village as there's a few thousand people living here :p
Old 10-12-2008, 15:09   #13
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:
Actually Barton-Le-Clay (MK45) ..I don't have any issues with people knowing the village as there's a few thousand people living here :p
Haha, I was not going to go and see him

But I see, was just curious, because your profile location is quite funny lol
Old 16-12-2008, 15:23   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Further to this thread the CF Team has just had word that VM's now finished it's standardisation of the 2Mb upload speed bringing inline ex-NTL and ex-Telewest speeds to 256Kb.

If your upload is still showing 200Kb then you will need to refresh your modem to upload the new profile..
Old 17-12-2008, 12:12   #15
dcclanuk
Inactive

Re: What should my upload speed be? [2Mb - Updated]

I thought my speed was slightly faster today!

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000 Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000

(Copied on 2008-12-17 11:10:39)
Download: 2019 Kbit/s
Upload : 241 kbit/s
Connects : 2828 conn/min
Ping: 11 ms

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:
Further to this thread the CF Team has just had word that VM's now finished it's standardisation of the 2Mb upload speed bringing inline ex-NTL and ex-Telewest speeds to 256Kb.

If your upload is still showing 200Kb then you will need to refresh your modem to upload the new profile..
I didn't see this post till I posted my ^^ post! I guess I was the LAST one loool, typical!

Anyway, notice my downstream is slightly higher too! Possible compensation for being last, or just making sure the speedtest shows 2mb