Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | passport and 6 month rule

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

passport and 6 month rule

Old 06-04-2008, 21:31   #1
wilcoxm
Inactive

wilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nice
passport and 6 month rule

advice needed, I am traveling to crete in May, but my current passport expires in October. I have read that you require 6 months left on your passport when you return to the UK.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case, and will i be able to travel with my exsisting passport??

Thanks in advance
wilcoxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2008, 21:34   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: passport and 6 month rule

most countries require this.

When are you going?

get a replacement now, is possible try and go to the nearest passport office, it may be done quicker.
Old 06-04-2008, 21:43   #3
wilcoxm
Inactive

wilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nicewilcoxm is just really nice

May 9th
Old 06-04-2008, 21:47   #4
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

The rule is that you should have 6 months left on your passport at the time you are due leave the country you are entering. So, if you are on a 2 week holiday, you have to have 6 months and 2 weeks on the day you enter.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

Just saw your reply. You need a new passport. You may be able to get away with it, but I wouldn't chance it to be honest.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 21:47   #5
homealone

AFAIK the rule is entry to Crete requires that your passport is still valid for 6 months on the date you intend to return to the UK..

<edit> - must type faster
Old 06-04-2008, 21:48   #6
pujro
cf.member

pujro will become famous soon enoughpujro will become famous soon enoughpujro will become famous soon enough

may be worth checking with a travel agent, it appears you may not need to rush one through
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...uirements&pg=4
pujro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 21:55   #7
wilcoxm
Inactive

panic over - thanks all for your help.
Old 06-04-2008, 22:06   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

You should still renew it, it only takes about two weeks normally, even by post.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:19   #9
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You should still renew it, it only takes about two weeks normally, even by post.
And it costs a small fortune (£68 when I renewed last year, but i'm sure it went up on 1/4/08 like everything else!)
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:24   #10
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
And it costs a small fortune (£68 when I renewed last year, but i'm sure it went up on 1/4/08 like everything else!)
£72 now

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

AFAIK if the country your traveling to is in the EU then the 6 month rule does not apply
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:29   #11
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
AFAIK if the country your traveling to is in the EU then the 6 month rule does not apply
I'm not so sure about that as I had to get a new one to travel to Amsterdam but i can't remember if my old one had run out completely or not
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:31   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-renewing-when.asp
Old 06-04-2008, 22:37   #13
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
I'm not so sure about that as I had to get a new one to travel to Amsterdam but i can't remember if my old one had run out completely or not
For Greece it only has to be valid for your period of stay

http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelgui...es/Greece/Visa

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

In fact to enter Greece, EU nationals dont strictly need a passport. An identify card is all that is required but as we still dont have one we have to use the passport
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:47   #14
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

It's not really a rule in many places more of guidance. If you are there and get injured or sick then you may find yourself also needing a new passport to get home.

I travelled back to the UK in November with my son for a long weekend. I knew my passport was good. I got a new 10yr before I moved here. Checking in at the airport was fine also. Got to the baggage drop and they asked when I was planning on returning. Sunday, why? Oh your sons passport expires on Tuesday!

That was a close one.

And my son as a 5yr old dual national I think I just spent nearly $400 renewing both his passports and will be doing the same again in 5 years and again in 5 years and then he will be 15 and still not entitled to a 10 year passport so doing the same again in 5 years. Expensive this passport stuff.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:11   #15
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Went to renew my passport and its was £75 - bloody rob!
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote