Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone rings once then stops

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Phone rings once then stops

Old 14-08-2007, 14:17   #1
skatesy
Inactive

skatesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Phone rings once then stops

Apologies, I have a BT phone not Virgin but I hope someone will be kind enough to help me. I have a BT land line with 4 extensions wired directly to a junction box next to the line box. The phones (all of them) ring once, then stop. If I pick up fast enough I get connected. All phones call out OK. By disconnecting I have narrowed the fault down to one line. This goes from the junction box, out through the window to another junction box (installed by BT), then through another window to the socket. I thought I had fixed t by checking all the connections and it worked OK for a day but now is back to its old tricks. The outside junction box seems to be dry inside but it has been raining alot recently. What is the likely cause (or causes) ? Grateful for any help
skatesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2007, 17:16   #2
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: Phone rings once then stops

It's possible given the number of extensions that it's a REN problem

http://www.britishtelephones.com/ren.htm

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...tallation.html

"REN measures the load a device places on the line when ringing. A normal BT line will support a REN of at least 4, in other words at least a total of 4 phones/fax/modems should work on any line so long as their REN figures added together don't exceed 4. The REN is normally found on a label at the base of the machine (near the green approval symbol)."
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 17:26   #3
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

to the site. I have moved your thread into the non-VM phone section.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 17:29   #4
smarty
Inactive

smarty is an unknown quantity at this point

The usual cause of this is electrical leakage between pins 2 and 3 in the junction box, probably due to water ingress.
smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 21:32   #5
OldandSlow
Inactive

Services: VM 2meg cable modem
OldandSlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Phone rings once then stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatesy View Post
Apologies, I have a BT phone not Virgin but I hope someone will be kind enough to help me. I have a BT land line with 4 extensions wired directly to a junction box next to the line box. The phones (all of them) ring once, then stop. If I pick up fast enough I get connected. All phones call out OK. By disconnecting I have narrowed the fault down to one line. This goes from the junction box, out through the window to another junction box (installed by BT), then through another window to the socket. I thought I had fixed t by checking all the connections and it worked OK for a day but now is back to its old tricks. The outside junction box seems to be dry inside but it has been raining alot recently. What is the likely cause (or causes) ? Grateful for any help
I'm finding it difficult to picture the set up on your wiring. If bt installed all your extensions and they are less than a year old they are still under guarentee and bt should repair the fault. Do you have a main telephone socket (nte5) it will be larger than your extension sockets and all the extensions should be wired through it before the cable goes outside to bts external point in the street. If this is the case, disconnect the "face plate" of the main socket( the face plate is the bottom half of the front of the socket and pulls away from the main socket by removing two screws). If connected properly you should see your extensions wiring connected to this front plate, now that its disconnected only your main socket should work, plug one of your phones in that you are sure works and see if the problem persists. If the problem is gone then its either one of your extensions or something plugged into them causing the problem. Let me know more info or how you get on and I'll see if I can narrow it down.

B.
OldandSlow is offline   Reply With Quote