Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin poor service

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 17-08-2015, 18:47   #1
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

http://store.virginmedia.com/special...d-upgrade.html

Quote:
Virgin Media to start next round of speed upgrades in October 2015

The upgrades will see those with the 50 Mbps product upgraded to 100 Mbps, 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps and 152 Mbps to 300 Mbps, though as with other upgrades Virgin Media is more vague about what will happen to upload speeds.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7...n-october.html
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2015, 19:03   #2
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Launching this autumn, we’re giving you even faster, even better broadband.

Today you have the fastest widely available fibre optic broadband, that’s 2 x faster than Sky Fibre and BT Infinity. But we’re not stopping there, because we’re going to be increasing your broadband speeds once again. So you can do even more of the things you love doing, whether that’s more shopping, sharing, movie watching, or meeting. It’s all thanks to our Docsis 3 technology, the magic in our cables.

Do more with even faster broadband

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgSTbeslsY

T&C
We will start the upgrade programme on 1 October which will offer a free upgrade to our base. This will roll out to 90% by the end of 2015 and the remaining will be completed in early 2016. As an area of the network is upgraded we will write to all of our customers in that area letting them know that their upgrade is ready and all they need to do to accept the upgrade is log on to their account online to confirm and we will then increase their speed. By writing to them we are not forcing the upgrade upon them and if they want to stay as they are they can. If they decide not to take it at that time then the customer is able to log into their online account to take the upgrade at any time before the program is completed in 2016.
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 19:20   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

And the upload speeds?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 19:25   #4
apb27
Inactive

apb27 is on a distinguished roadapb27 is on a distinguished road

Glad I downgraded to 100mb now, price was much better. Could do with upload speeds though, in the middle of a crashplan initial backup and its taking its sweet time.

The speed at which they claim to be able to upgrade everyone is much, much better though. Well done
apb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 19:37   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Upload back to the 10/1 ratio ?
Old 17-08-2015, 20:02   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I doubt upload speeds are going to even double from what they are now.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 22:31   #7
KenK
Inactive

KenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to all

Someone has to ask, and it may as well be me...

instead of doubling the speed from 50 Mbps to 100, why not give the option to stay at 50 and cut the charge in half ?
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 22:51   #8
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Because that's not as profitable
Old 17-08-2015, 22:52   #9
thenry
Inactive

And cost effective to do so. Broadband speeds becoming faster is due to the fact there is demand for faster speeds because there is content there to be had at a faster rate so staying in line with demand is a must for VM. If speed isn't a concern to you then there is always ADSL to turn to.
Old 17-08-2015, 23:09   #10
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Why do you have to log in and accept the changes? Will this be classed as a new contract or acceptance of new t&cs?

Never had to do it before.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 23:11   #11
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Makes me even more curious about the broadband trial now. With the speed bumps already announced I wonder what it could entail? Early access to test for issues? New modem + bump? Can't wait for the next email. Hopefully this and the network upgrades might solve our utilisation issues. If not I'll be offski. No point doubling our headline speed if the TV stays off 12 hours a day and the broadband is up and down like nobody's business.
Old 17-08-2015, 23:24   #12
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Why do you have to log in and accept the changes? Will this be classed as a new contract or acceptance of new t&cs?

Never had to do it before.
No new contract. VM done the same or pretty similar with previous upgrades. Its part of engagement with customers which there will be a lot more of as this rolls out.
Old 17-08-2015, 23:27   #13
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

A price increase will probably follow the upgrade.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 23:36   #14
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmakerRaw View Post
Makes me even more curious about the broadband trial now. With the speed bumps already announced I wonder what it could entail? Early access to test for issues? New modem + bump? Can't wait for the next email. Hopefully this and the network upgrades might solve our utilisation issues. If not I'll be offski. No point doubling our headline speed if the TV stays off 12 hours a day and the broadband is up and down like nobody's business.
I doubt the 300mbit is going to apply to existing modems, so my relatively educated guess is the trial is a new Superhub, one that probably is capable of 16 Downstream channels with 12 being active for the initial rollout. There may be other features on the hub such as VOIP, but I have no doubt in my mind that the trial is for a new hub and the hub is required for 300Mbit.

I think 200Mbit will be the highest the SH1/SH2 will go on Virgin's network, at least officially.
Old 17-08-2015, 23:44   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I doubt the 300mbit is going to apply to existing modems, so my relatively educated guess is the trial is a new Superhub, one that probably is capable of 16 Downstream channels with 12 being active for the initial rollout. There may be other features on the hub such as VOIP, but I have no doubt in my mind that the trial is for a new hub and the hub is required for 300Mbit.

I think 200Mbit will be the highest the SH1/SH2 will go on Virgin's network, at least officially.
i do hope it is a new hub, although i am only on 100mbit atm and no intention of paying for more speed as i think it is only willy waving now.