Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The PS4 Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

The PS4 Thread
View Poll Results: Will you buy the ps4
Never 25 28.09%
Maybe 22 24.72%
Defo 37 41.57%
No sure 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-02-2013, 13:32   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ps4 no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
Sony are doing the same that is the point I have been making
No they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-...ond-hand-games
Old 22-02-2013, 13:35   #17
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
No they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-...ond-hand-games
big climb down I did not see that yesterday
Old 22-02-2013, 13:38   #18
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
With the rumour that the M$ xbox720 will restrict the play of used/2ndhand games then I'm tempted to ditch m$ and go with Sony the next time around.
This is nonsense, it was also a rumour for the PS4 and its been said that it will still pay used games.

Parsonally I think people are getting too carried away saying features are missing and the machine wasn't shown.

It was purely a console announcement not a launch as such. As its not due out Till Holiday 2013, ie end of the year many parts of the system hardware and software features have still to be finalised.

I bet that by E3 in May/June the console will be shown off along with full details of the sytem and its features.

After the few games shown and the power of the PS4 I am definitly going to be getting one when it gets released in the UK. Which I think maybe be Spring 2014 if the USA and Japan get it at the end of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstevenson View Post
Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games
I will happily keep my PS3 if I want to play my PS3 games both physical and PSN downloads. Not being able to play them on a new system isn't that big a deal at all.

Also its entirly possible that after a while PS3/PS2 and PS1 games may be come available on PSN after a while. Sony did after all start to relelase old generation games on the PS3 PSN.

Its way too early to slate a system when its literally only been announced. Even the controller isn't the 'Final' design as it has been menetioned there will probably be a few tweaks before launch.
Old 22-02-2013, 13:44   #19
tizmeinnit

I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol
Old 22-02-2013, 14:27   #20
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

People moaning about having loads of games on PSN , when i got my PS3 the day it came out, i brought it because the games were amazing. I also had a PS2 with loads of games which never ever got used after the purchase.
Do you really think you'll want to play a PS3 game once you start playing the new, better looking games on the PS4?
I'm guessing for me, the only game i'll still play will be GT5, that is until a GT6 comes out.
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 20:20   #21
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS
Old 22-02-2013, 22:55   #22
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS
Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibility
Old 22-02-2013, 23:04   #23
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibility
Yup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper
Old 22-02-2013, 23:21   #24
tizmeinnit

they can all run an emulator that runs 99% ps2 games flawlessly on the PS3 if they have a CFW on it
Old 23-02-2013, 01:13   #25
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstevenson View Post
Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games

You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Quote:
big climb down I did not see that yesterday
Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Quote:
I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol
Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?
Old 23-02-2013, 05:03   #26
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Sony will have a service that will allow streaming of past generations playstation games. They have bought out a company to do so and the PS4 has a dedicated ARM chip to make it all possible.

I voted defo. Love my PS3 and will gladly trade it in for the new one.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/15...es-reports-wsj
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 10:05   #27
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?
Sony may not have said anything but they did patent the technology to do it. That is what sent the rumours flying http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-03-sony-patents-tech-to-block-use-of-second-hand-games

Heard of homebrew boy yo as I have said in this thread the PS3 once jailbroken can play ps2 games and do a lot of other things that has nothing to do with piracy. Whether I have a peg leg and a parrot has nothing to do with you and for you to have a pop in my direction I surely hope every aspect of your life is clean ,no speedings ,no pot smoking or any other drug, no smoking while driving or using a mobile phone no downloaded illegal mp3 , no mp3s off your mates , You pay for every single film you have ever watched or not needed to. Only you know for sure you are clean so I hope you are and not a hipocrite
Old 23-02-2013, 18:53   #28
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post

....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible.. They also only stopped producing the PS2 in December

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper
IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 18:54   #29
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty
they took it out with firmware I believe same as the option to install a new OS
Old 23-02-2013, 20:01   #30
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Only "Other OS" was taken out via a firmware update.

PS2 backwards compatibility was removed via taking out the last remaining PS2 chip inside the PS3 during another hardware revision. It wasn't removed from PS3s that already had it.

The first generation of PS3s, as launched in Japan and North America, contained both the actual PS2 CPU ("Emotion Engine") and GPU ("Graphics Synthesizer" [sic]). This enabled full PS2 backwards compatibility via hardware.

The second generation, as launched in Europe, contained only the PS2 GPU. PS2 backwards compatibility was achieved via that plus software emulation of the CPU.

The third generation onwards, beginning with the "40GB Fat", contained no PS2 hardware at all, and featured no PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

First and second generation PS3s can still play PS2 games, regardless of firmware updates.

-----------

As for the PS4... I'll wait.

I don't have the space, connections, or plug sockets for another console, so could not have a PS4 and keep my PS3... and I don't want to get rid of my PS3 unless I can still play the Uncharted games and a few others.

Once the price goes down, and once the PS3 game streaming eventually comes about, then I'll consider getting one.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote