Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | £60? To Run a Cable? Really?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

£60? To Run a Cable? Really?

Old 04-03-2010, 23:13   #1
Mechanicus
Inactive

Mechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enough
£60? To Run a Cable? Really?

Hi.
I currently have sky multiroom, basic boxes, and I am not in the 12 month contract (I mean I've had the boxes for more than a year so can leave any time)
I was interested in upgrading one of the boxes to Sky HD, however, the official Sky website states they charge £60 for installation. This seems very high for what is basically going to be 1 cable run from the dish to the box. Everything else is already there (dish, cable, and holes drilled).

So my question is - Would there be any chance Sky would give me a cheaper installation costs, considering my circumstances? Or are they non-negotiable prices? I don't mind trying to finagle a deal, but I don't want to be on the phone all day on hold, only to find out they won't budge.

Thanks in advance

/awaits negative marks from people who think trying to get a deal is equivalent to butchering puppies.
Mechanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2010, 23:16   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: £60? To Run a Cable? Really?

You evil puppy butcher!

Seriously though ... try for a deal. That is a standard installation charge, regardless of how simple or complex the job is. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But if you tell them you're thinking of switching to cable TV instead, you might just find them willing to waive it altogether. You will probably end up in a new 12 month contract though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 23:20   #3
Mechanicus
Inactive

Mechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You evil puppy butcher!

Seriously though ... try for a deal. That is a standard installation charge, regardless of how simple or complex the job is. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But if you tell them you're thinking of switching to cable TV instead, you might just find them willing to waive it altogether. You will probably end up in a new 12 month contract though.
Hehe, thanks for the quick response. I knew I would probably en up with another 12 months contract, I think it says so on the Sky website, but I don't have a problem with that.

I'll give them a ring on Monday and see if I can't work something out.

Thanks again
Old 05-03-2010, 00:30   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

As long as the dish has spare outputs, there is nothing stopping you running the extra cable yourself and getting a self-install, normally in and install an upgrade to a 2 input box, they will run a siamese coax (2 runs joined together for neatness and ease of installation)
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:13   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Well sky small print says
Quote:
Set-up: Non-standard set-up may cost extra. Standard set-up of Sky+HD box with the HD Pack is £30 for new Sky TV customers (free if you join online), £60 for existing customers (£30 with a new Multiroom subscription and free with Multiroom if buying online).
So you may be able to get it done cheaper than £60. Retentions may offer a free install if you go that route but they may not depending on how many people are churning at the moment.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:29   #6
Mechanicus
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well sky small print says

So you may be able to get it done cheaper than £60. Retentions may offer a free install if you go that route but they may not depending on how many people are churning at the moment.
I think it's a bit bloody cheeky of them to offer new customers (therefore lots more work - installing a dish, drilling holes etc.), and charge existing customers twice the amount. That's just money-grubbing, surely? What is the insentive for existing customers to upgrade (ie. give Sky more money!) when they are charging so much more? I don't even really care about the HD channels, I just want the box so I can record TV. I have a DVD Recorder, but it incredibly loud, and a right nightmare if I want to do anything with the programs I've recorded (it insists on converting several files into 1 .VOB file, which I then have to upload to my PC, and mess about chopping up and converting to a normal format!)

If I have to pay £60 installation, then £10 for channels I don't want, I won't bother. I mean, 4-6 months into the contract, I would have saved up enough money to get a better, quieter, more user-friendly DVD recorder.
In fact, screw it, that's what I'll do anyway.

Thanks for the info
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53   #7
Spectato
Inactive

Services: || (XL) Broadband || (XL) Nuisance Call Hotline ||
Spectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to behold

Now now.
Calm yourself.
Just lay back and 'take it' like the rest of us have to.

You'll feel so much better once they've broken down your resistance.
Just take some deep, slow breaths and enter your credit card details........
Spectato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:30   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectato View Post
Now now.
Calm yourself.
Just lay back and 'take it' like the rest of us have to.

You'll feel so much better once they've broken down your resistance.
Just take some deep, slow breaths and enter your credit card details........
Bit submissive for my liking
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 23:18   #9
Mechanicus
Inactive

I know it's been over a month, but I finally got around to getting Sky HD. I phoned them up, and basically said "£60 to run a wire is too much, can you do a deal for me?" and the guy said right away that they can do it for £30. I tracked the order on the Sky website, and they even have a special 'Concession' code and name, so they clear offer this to lots of people.

I had to wait about a week for the installation, which was good as I expected to be put at the back of the line, behind all the new subscribers. The install went fine, the installer was a nice bloke, who did a neat job.

The box is quite a bit bigger than the old one, and makes a little bit of noise, even when off (the only way to shut it up entirely is to unplug it but it takes a few minutes to get started up again so it's not worth it). I am quite a light sleeper, and I got to sleep quite easily with it in my room. I expect I'll get used to it quite quickly, and won't notice it a week from now.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-06-2010, 00:18   #10
andymo
Inactive

andymo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: £60? To Run a Cable? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Bit submissive for my liking
Spot on Graham!
andymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 19:40   #11
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicus View Post
Hi.
I currently have sky multiroom, basic boxes, and I am not in the 12 month contract (I mean I've had the boxes for more than a year so can leave any time)
I was interested in upgrading one of the boxes to Sky HD, however, the official Sky website states they charge £60 for installation. This seems very high for what is basically going to be 1 cable run from the dish to the box. Everything else is already there (dish, cable, and holes drilled).

So my question is - Would there be any chance Sky would give me a cheaper installation costs, considering my circumstances? Or are they non-negotiable prices? I don't mind trying to finagle a deal, but I don't want to be on the phone all day on hold, only to find out they won't budge.

Thanks in advance

/awaits negative marks from people who think trying to get a deal is equivalent to butchering puppies.
for anyone else who is interested in upgrading:

if you already have everything installed & just want to replace the old receiver with an HD one then ring them up: 0800 0512597 & ask for an upgrade to Sky HD but with a self install, as doing it on the website doesnt work. i rang yesterday & mine is coming on the 8th july via a courier/post. the first person that i spoke to (India) said i still needed to pay £60 which i know isint the case, so i rang back & got through to England & its all sorted now. if you aint just replacing the receiver then they will indeed need to come out which does cost £60. also your old receiver is yours to keep so if they ask for it back their telling porkies. ps replacing the receiver is very straight forward & the new receiver is meant to come with a guide or look here: http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/get.../self-install/

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You evil puppy butcher!

yes you do enter a new 12 month contact.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicus View Post
I know it's been over a month, but I finally got around to getting Sky HD. I phoned them up, and basically said "£60 to run a wire is too much, can you do a deal for me?" and the guy said right away that they can do it for £30. I tracked the order on the Sky website, and they even have a special 'Concession' code and name, so they clear offer this to lots of people.

I had to wait about a week for the installation, which was good as I expected to be put at the back of the line, behind all the new subscribers. The install went fine, the installer was a nice bloke, who did a neat job.

The box is quite a bit bigger than the old one, and makes a little bit of noise, even when off (the only way to shut it up entirely is to unplug it but it takes a few minutes to get started up again so it's not worth it). I am quite a light sleeper, and I got to sleep quite easily with it in my room. I expect I'll get used to it quite quickly, and won't notice it a week from now.

Thanks for the help!
you shouldnt unplug it unless you have to ie going on holiday, power cut etc as updates are sent to Sky receivers at random times & you might not get them. you can force an update however it can brick your receiver & you'l loose all settings & recordings etc.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11   #12
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

well my Sky+ HD receiver turned up today, very fast delivery.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:30   #13
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
well my Sky+ HD receiver turned up today, very fast delivery.
Will you be changing your name to 'the-satellite-guy'?
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 13:33   #14
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

On the one hand I believe that they shouldn't charge anything at all. But on the other, the charge seems quite reasonable. Sixty pounds for a half an hour's work with call out, isn't too bad when you look at other services.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 15:26   #15
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Well, Why dont you just tell them the cable for the Multi-room is already there and all you need is the box.. They never check.

To install a cable yourself its pretty straight forward. Whether it be SKY+/HD simple 1 or 2 cables depending on recording preferences then go from the LNB to the new box.

Can get the Sat cable cheap enough these days. 60 quid My arse. I can do it myself in less time for a tenner if not less!