Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Backing up to DVD from Sky+.......

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Backing up to DVD from Sky+.......

Old 27-09-2007, 18:56   #1
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice
Backing up to DVD from Sky+.......

Is it quite straighforward?
It seems that I can only do an episode at a time?
Have started to record Batman - the original series and want to keep it.
I know it records to dvd in real time, but is there any way I can do them in bulk, or is it a case of one episode at a time to a rewritable disc and then using a programme to burn multiple episodes onto a single disc.
What programmes might I need to do this on the PC.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2007, 19:16   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Backing up to DVD from Sky+.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
Is it quite straighforward?
It seems that I can only do an episode at a time?
Have started to record Batman - the original series and want to keep it.
I know it records to dvd in real time, but is there any way I can do them in bulk, or is it a case of one episode at a time to a rewritable disc and then using a programme to burn multiple episodes onto a single disc.
Hi, I've never transferred anything to DVD from the Sky+ so can't help with that.

Quote:
What programmes might I need to do this on the PC.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Videoredo will remove commercials easily and is useful for general editing.
You will need an authoring app to bring together several eps with a menu. DVD Lab Pro or Womble Video Wizard are good but complex to use.
Tmpgenc DVD Author is easier to use but the menus are pretty basic.
I have a feeling that Convertxtodvd will author mpeg2 now.. check it out. Very basic menu but extremely simple to use.
Nero will do it but I have never been able to get on with that except for general burning.

Good luck.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 19:45   #3
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

Thank you.........
I've done what I should have done in the first place and looked for the manual - and found it!
I CAN do more than one episode at a time, but I will have a practice first before finally committing myself.
And I may well need to remove ads etc - but that will be for later.
One step at a time eh!
Old 27-09-2007, 19:48   #4
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

When I used to have sky there was a copy function.

Trouble is if you select what you want to copy - in your case episodic content it will copy it all in one go so in effect you get one big episode.

The Best way is to do them one at a time i'm afraid.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 21:43   #5
moiraf100
Inactive

Ok, thank you.
*By the way, I didn't click on your link...but I was curious so I googled.
I have no intention of clicking on it now. lol!
Old 27-09-2007, 22:44   #6
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

No - It freaks ME out too
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 23:10   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Thank you.........
I've done what I should have done in the first place and looked for the manual - and found it!
I CAN do more than one episode at a time, but I will have a practice first before finally committing myself.
And I may well need to remove ads etc - but that will be for later.
One step at a time eh!
Let us know how you get on. At some stage I or others may wish to follow your route and your experience may prove valuable.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:37   #8
moiraf100
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Let us know how you get on. At some stage I or others may wish to follow your route and your experience may prove valuable.
Well, I had a quick go this morning as per the instruction booklet from Sky. It's a lot of faffing about.
Choose your pre-recorded programme and press the copy button, and repeat as many times as needed. Press select; press record on your DVD recorder.
Your DVD recorder starts to record the progammes along with the display gumph at the beginning which in effect is not pretty to see when you play it back.
However, I thought I'd try what should have been obvious in the first place.
Select and play the recorded programme on Sky, and then press record on your DVD recorder.
This way it's just like recording as you normally would.
Leave the room and get on with normal stuff. Stop recording. Find the next programme/episode that you want and do the same again........and again.......
Old 29-09-2007, 00:09   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Hmmm, does seem a lot of faffing about. Then there is the chore of loading the burned DVD_RW into the PC, editing it, authoring it, and then burning it to DVD only to have it stand on a shelf probably forever just gathering dust.

I have freeview as well. I have toyed with the idea of extending the aerial to my PC and investing in a freeview TV Card. There are a few PVR softwares out there which have had good reviews. This at least cuts out the first two steps in the chain. I haven't got a Standalone DVD Recorder so the purchase of a TV Card will not be an extra expense.

Things against are the lack of channels on freeview? But is their really anything worth watching let alone recording for posterity on the subscription digi channels, probably, NOT!! and if there was it would likely be butchered to some aspect chosen for the benefit of the channel rather than the viewer.

And the biggie, can I be arsed? Well yeah, there have been some shows that merited a place on my shelf but they really are far and few between and get repeated to death weekly on UK TV anyway.
If they haven't already then they darn well will be if ever VM/BBC can afford to show a "new" ep of some decade old TAT.
Old 29-09-2007, 18:51   #10
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

I thought that with Sky+ you could only copy to VHS?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 19:03   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Nope, DVD too if you have a DVD recorder.

The Sky+/HD box doesn't care whether it's hooked up to VHS or DVDR - it's just outputting the signals.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote