Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recording to DVD from Virgin V6 Box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Recording to DVD from Virgin V6 Box

Old 27-03-2017, 16:44   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Recording to DVD from Virgin V6 Box

No, there is no other option as there doesn't seem to anyone making an HDMI to RGB SCART converter.

For the connections:

HDMI from V6 box > HDMI splitter

Splitter > TV + HDMI to SCART converter

HDMI to SCART converter > DVD Recorder
Old 27-03-2017, 17:02   #17
Richupton
Inactive

Richupton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Ben,

That's great and thank you so much for your help here. It's 'only' £50 and I also want to keep some tennis matches, other sports and my Top of the Pops episodes, so I'm going to give it a whirl and hope that the picture is usable.

All the best

Richard
Richupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 17:37   #18
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

The other option is to add a Tivo to your system and record the shows you want to archive on the Tivo; they will be viewable on the V6. It is an added on-going monthly expense though.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 17:41   #19
Richupton
Inactive

You mean the previous version of the Virgin media TiVo box? I wish that I'd ask to keep it for the second box as I do like all the other aspects of V6 box. I can't imagine that Virgin would send an old version of the TiVo out to me?
Old 27-03-2017, 17:48   #20
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, but be aware that the HDMI to SCART converter is composite only i.e. low picture quality.

It will not be as good as most direct SCART to SCART connections as these will tend to be RBG.
Bizarre that people are happy with the quality then as I couldn't put up with it.

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

Quote:
No, there is no other option as there doesn't seem to anyone making an HDMI to RGB SCART converter.

For the connections:

Yes, I don't need the splitter part and I also looked for an RGB converter and I couldn't find one either.

Looks as if I'll be sticking to the TIVO!
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 18:22   #21
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richupton View Post
You mean the previous version of the Virgin media TiVo box? I wish that I'd ask to keep it for the second box as I do like all the other aspects of V6 box. I can't imagine that Virgin would send an old version of the TiVo out to me?

Tivo has a scart output that you can feed directly into your DVD recorder and is still available Many people use it as a second box.

Scart was disabled on the V6. A Tivo would solve your problem. You can use Multiroom Streaming to stream shows from the Tivo to the V6, providing the Tivo is connected to your router.
Old 27-03-2017, 21:27   #22
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Stick with Tivo. The Scart is useful for feeding to other TV's as well as a DVD recorder. The V6 is the 'Emperors New Clothes'. It's advantages are outweighed by the scart omission for me.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Quote:

For the connections:

And how much do all these converters cost, and what's the PQ like at the end of it ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 18:22   #23
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Talking Re: Recording to DVD from Virgin V6 Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Stick with Tivo. The Scart is useful for feeding to other TV's as well as a DVD recorder. The V6 is the 'Emperors New Clothes'. It's advantages are outweighed by the scart omission for me.

And how much do all these converters cost, and what's the PQ like at the end of it ?
For me now I have reach the wonderful age of 50 this past week, i feel life is to short to archive recordings onto DVD and we should live for the moment, watch live recordings or off the Tivo HD
Old 30-03-2017, 19:42   #24
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
For me now I have reach the wonderful age of 50 this past week, i feel life is to short to archive recordings onto DVD and we should live for the moment, watch live recordings or off the Tivo HD
Steady on Hatter you're only 50, barely middle aged these days !

My Tivo feeds 4 tv's and a DVD recorder, I like to multi-task get my moneys worth !

I suspect the set up of the 1 hdmi output on the V6 is deliberate to get you to buy more boxes.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 12:33   #25
Richupton
Inactive

Quote:

For the splitter and scart converter you can get them both for around £50. The picture quality isn't fantastic but is apparently usable. Seeing as I have an HDMI AV Output port on the back of my Panasonic DVD Recorder I am wondering if I also need the SCART converter?
Old 31-03-2017, 13:30   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You'll find that there isn't an HDMI in for recording though.
Old 31-03-2017, 14:50   #27
Richupton
Inactive

Quote:
You'll find that there isn't an HDMI in for recording though.
I believe that you are correct - so i'll looking for buying gadgets, then!
Old 31-03-2017, 15:44   #28
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

I suspect the set up of the 1 hdmi output on the V6 is deliberate to get you to buy more boxes.

No it's because Electronics manufacturers are under pressure from content providers to phase scart out, due to lack of HDCP.
Old 12-04-2017, 18:50   #29
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Is it beyond the capability of someone to develop a DVD recorder with hdmi input?

Failing that a hdmi to RGB scart lead
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 18:57   #30
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Is it beyond the capability of someone to develop a DVD recorder with hdmi input?

Failing that a hdmi to RGB scart lead
Amazon will give you HDMI to SCART adapters unfortunately they're only composite (PAL) video so the quality is not the best.

Technically there's no reason that DVD recorders with an HDMI couldn't be marketed, as stated above it's the content providers that are so anti.