Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 15:21   #31
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

My point was, that if s/he feels comfortable speaking to others like that in an internet forum, what is to be expected in the workplace?

It could be argued that s/he may be able to control their outbursts at work towards colleagues and/or customers. This would mean that the attitude is still present, but masked, and, in my view this is just as bad as the behaviour itself!

What on earth is to be gained by identifying oneself as a VM employee and then being rude to someone who has identified themselves as a VM personal and business customer?

As previously explained, we are in the worst recession in living memory. It is imperative that ALL staff do all they can to keep existing customers and attract new ones. If this does not happen, you can expect more redundancies at VM.

For the record, I am anti bullying and, in fact, am the director responsible for the anti bullying strategy within our organisation. Coincidentally, I am currently working from home and reviewing our treatment of LGBT staff.

And no, I don't need my ego, or anything else for that matter, to be stroked by yourself

I think it would be a good idea to keep this thread as a place for staff to share information and/or seek support who are affected (or think they may be affected by) the Albert Dock closure.
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2011, 15:43   #32
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Those of you who have had any dealings with me know that I am very non-confrontational but I have to put my oar in here and say that I have been disgusted at the last posters attitude to the VM staff that he has tried to bully in this thread.

I have often found, in my professional life, that some of the worst bullies I came across believed that they were above such behavior and seemed to assume that their approach was a form of "constructive criticism." It worries me that he is therefore "responsible for the anti bullying strategy within our organisation"

I certainly would not like to see the thread closed due to his attitude as the staff effected will need all our support as I understand that many are employed by a third party who has no incentive to help them find alternative employment within VM.
Old 05-10-2011, 15:51   #33
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I think it would be a good idea to keep this thread as a place for staff to share information and/or seek support who are affected (or think they may be affected by) the Albert Dock closure.
As recognised Virginmedia staff we have a private section of this forum as per most other forums so we can go there instead as it is actually somewhere we can air our views and I thank the forum team for letting us have the use of that section until we are no longer employees, excluding anyone employed elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2011, 16:04   #34
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Those of you who have had any dealings with me know that I am very non-confrontational but I have to put my oar in here and say that I have been disgusted at the last posters attitude to the VM staff that he has tried to bully in this thread.

I have often found, in my professional life, that some of the worst bullies I came across believed that they were above such behavior and seemed to assume that their approach was a form of "constructive criticism." It worries me that he is therefore "responsible for the anti bullying strategy within our organisation"

I certainly would not like to see the thread closed due to his attitude as the staff effected will need all our support as I understand that many are employed by a third party who has no incentive to help them find alternative employment within VM.
Bullying and reacting to rudeness are two completely different things.

You are correct in your understanding about the position of employees working in an outsourced capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
As recognised Virginmedia staff we have a private section of this forum as per most other forums so we can go there instead as it is actually somewhere we can air our views and I thank the forum team for letting us have the use of that section until we are no longer employees, excluding anyone employed elsewhere.
I didn't know that Masque! I think it's a really good idea to have a private place on the forum for VM staff to privately air views that may not necessarily
be appropriate in the public domain. Are those working for VM via agencies allowed to join, or is it just for staff directly employed by VM?
Old 05-10-2011, 16:23   #35
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

Are those working for VM via agencies allowed to join, or is it just for staff directly employed by VM?
That is up to the forum owners.
Old 05-10-2011, 16:30   #36
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

OK, thanks for letting me know. The reason I ask is that we had a young man who started working in one of our Yorkshire venues as a glass collector whilst at college. He was 17 and, frankly, was a cheeky lippy young man! I took him under my wing and, upon leaving college, has turned out to be a thoroughly decent and well rounded young man.

I did have hopes of eventually training him up to be a venue manager, but, unfortunately, the recession has meant that we are now supernumerate with managers.

He found it difficult to get a job, but, eventually got a job working for VM through an agency (in Manchester I believe).

I put him in touch with VM as he has a keen interest in the company and it's products (bordering on obsessive lol). I'm sure he would want to join the employee only forum if he is allowed to as it would help him get to know people and allow him to indulge in his passion for VM!

He is openly gay, so I hope that doesn't cause any problems for him. I know there are now laws to protect the LGBT communities, but, in the real world, what is the VM record like in their treatment of gay staff?
Old 05-10-2011, 16:38   #37
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
He is openly gay, so I hope that doesn't cause any problems for him. I know there are now laws to protect the LGBT communities, but, in the real world, what is the VM record like in their treatment of gay staff?
They are treated as just another person as you would expect.
Old 05-10-2011, 16:53   #38
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

That's good

I must get on with my work now, as I want to try and finish early this week as I am going to Wales for the weekend after a very stressful week
Old 05-10-2011, 16:59   #39
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Good idea. A great start is to keep comments about VM staff posting in their own time out of this thread.

Quote:
Are those working for VM via agencies allowed to join, or is it just for staff directly employed by VM?
Those who can verify their employment with either a VM staff or contractor email address.

Quote:
I must get on with my work now, as I want to try and finish early this week as I am going to Wales for the weekend after a very stressful week
<fingers crossed>

(Please don't be the south, please don't be the south...)

</fingers crossed>

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 05-10-2011, 17:33   #40
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Good idea. A great start is to keep comments about VM staff posting in their own time out of this thread.

Those who can verify their employment with either a VM staff or contractor email address.

<fingers crossed>

(Please don't be the south, please don't be the south...)

</fingers crossed>
As previously explained, my actions were in reaction to the instigation of rudeness from a VM employee.

Thanks for clarifying the details about the VM staff forum Russ, I shall let him know. Who does he contact to set this up?

We are going to Fontygary. Can you recommend any decent rated hotels around there? (my next job is to book something on the internet). I see you live in South Wales too. If you fancy, you would be most welcome to join us one afternoon or evening for drinks and something to eat.
Old 05-10-2011, 17:39   #41
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

He can contact us on the team email.

Any further off-topic posts will be removed and infractions issued.

This thread is about Vm closing the Albert Dock office only.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 05-10-2011, 17:47   #42
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Previous part of post removed to comply with above

As for the loss of Albert dock i honestly feel this is a massive loss to customers who had a personal on shore service. I have had contact with those in Albert dock and it has always been good and my faults have always been correctly diagnosed and fixed swiftly, The same cannot be said of my constant battles with off shore faults. I honestly dread having to contact them as i find they never fix my problem and i end up requesting to be put through to a onshore office.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 05-10-2011, 21:01   #43
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
A perfect example of dead wood. Why would VM want to employ someone who speaks to customers like that and get rid of a valued team member instead? In my experience a period on reduced rate Jobseekers Allowance is often the best cure for such attitudinal problems.
My cure for your attitude is removal.

If I see you aim one more insult at anyone, I will terminate your membership of this forum.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01   #44
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

On Albert Dock, im devastated to hear of its closure but slightly heartened that the company is committed to keeping faults in the UK with the expansion of the Swansea site. Great bunch of guys based in Wales and I'm sure the new centre will be very successful but in the meantime my heart goes out to anyone affected by this news. I think this has been on the cards for some time, i went through the same pain in Scotland but was lucky enough to stay with the business and I hope that any affected in AD have the same opportunity.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48   #45
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Thread closed while I clean up the posts from people who have ignored my above warning.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

Thread reopened, and in case anyone missed it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
He can contact us on the team email.

Any further off-topic posts will be removed and infractions issued.

This thread is about Vm closing the Albert Dock office only.
Don't test me on this, my frack hammer is dying to be wielded today...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Closed Thread