Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recommended Android apps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Recommended Android apps

Old 16-12-2012, 16:59   #106
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Recommended Android apps

I am a little bit slow to this i am sure, but i have just started using the Android version of Adblock plus which with my little testing seems to remove the advertising is Angry Birds and other free apps.

http://adblockplus.org/en/android-about
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2012, 17:04   #107
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

it doesnt work in Opera
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 17:06   #108
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I am a little bit slow to this i am sure, but i have just started using the Android version of Adblock plus which with my little testing seems to remove the advertising is Angry Birds and other free apps.

http://adblockplus.org/en/android-about
Personally I don't agree with this. If you don't want ads in apps then pay for the ad-free version. It's not like they're expensive.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 17:24   #109
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
it doesnt work in Opera
I don't use Opera anymore, i find Google Chrome, Dolphin Browser or Boat Browser to be far better.

I haven't tested it much though, so not sure if it will work or not.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Personally I don't agree with this. If you don't want ads in apps then pay for the ad-free version. It's not like they're expensive.
True i guess....

I am not sure what Adblock does to data usage yet, whether it will increase it or not or slow things down so i may turn it off eventually.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 17:56   #110
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

SoundHound is great for finding out what that tune is that's playing in the bar or mall.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 18:23   #111
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Mayan Doomsday Widget.

5 days left to download
Old 16-12-2012, 19:25   #112
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

A free app I find particularly useful on a small screen Android phone is MessagEase. Surprisingly easy to use and much better than my chunky fingers on a tiny QWERTY keypad!

Another handy free app I use as a singer is Chromatic Pitch Pipe (free)
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 23:59   #113
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
SoundHound is great for finding out what that tune is that's playing in the bar or mall.
Yup, Soundhound is great
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 00:27   #114
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Was looking at soundhound and shazam but reading the recent reviews I got the impression they were not as good as they used to be. Installed Google's widget which is included in the new jellybean instead. Works great on 4.1.1

Was going to install swiftkey today but tried out Thumb Keyboard first. Its so good and configurable I'm sticking with it. Would fully recommend it. Lets you resize and move parts of the keyboard and also has the arrow keys I wanted. Can type so fast on it too. This post was typed on my Galaxy S3 with it.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:02   #115
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Thanks for that, great for pop, rock, etc, but doesn't seem to work on classical music.

Anyone know of a similar app for classical music?
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:14   #116
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
Thanks for that, great for pop, rock, etc, but doesn't seem to work on classical music.

I don't think there is. I think it's got to do with the fact there are so many recordings by different people of the same pieces of work.
Old 18-12-2012, 00:19   #117
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post

Some people say Shazam is better for classical...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:29   #118
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

If you want to try the Google Ears one and are happy with sideloading apk's, then you can grab it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1742652

Its free and part of newer android versions, just that these guys have extracted it so it can be used without upgrading your android version to 4.2.2
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 22:17   #119
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I've been looking for some time now at TV programs via internet, and frankly until now I've been disappointed.

Closest contender so far was an App called 'TV Catchup' which despite the name wasn't a catch up service, but did in fact play freeview channels, sort of, kind off, well actually for me. Not.At.All.

Perhaps it was my phone, who knows...

I have however now found this little beauty

TV Portal

It's not catch up telly, it's not freeview, it is in fact a streaming of pretty much every tv series ever, oh yes and every film too.

I tried it, and actually liked it so much I paid the hefty (sic) £1.29 one off cost for the pro version.

I view it in conjunction with MZ Player (pro) and in most cases the quality is very good, the picture doesn't pixel, and hey the sound even keeps up with the video. (On wi-fi obviously)

I picked 7-8 different films and the same for tv programs at random just to see how it fared, and had no problems, there's usually multiple sources to choose from, so if one is congested or missing, another generally works

I was in the bath (yes I have a waterproof phone...) watching Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena, and in my bath I only just get a wi-fi signal so it was a good test of how thnigs play 'out on the edge'

Again it was fine, good quality, and voice synced, so...

If you're in the market for watching the odd TV program or Movie, you could do a lot worse than give this a shot.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=order_history

Quote:
TV Portal gives you easy access to 1000’s of free TV Shows and free Movies on your Android device. Within seconds of downloading, you will be able to watch free TV streams and free Movies. It’s that simple.
TV Portal allows you to watch TV Show streams for free, unlimited for 2 days. After that, you will only be able to watch 2 free TV streams every 6 hours. There will never be a limit on watching free movies. Upgrading TV Portal will remove both the limit on TV streams as well as those pesky ads.

TV Portal aggregates free TV streams and free Movies from the following free streaming sites: putlocker, sockshare, gorillavid, YouTube, vidxden, divxstage, novamov, movshare, filebox, muchshare, vidbull, nowvideo, videoweed, vidbux, nosvideo, vreer, 180upload, allmyvideos, videobam, modovideo, zalaa, and xvidstage.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 22:42   #120
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

Downloaded this a couple of days ago. Works well with turbo downloader you can download the programme and watch later.
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote