Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recording TV to USB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Mobile Phone Tracking

Old 25-08-2009, 13:55   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Mobile Phone Tracking

Hi all

I wondered if anyone could help on this issue.

I often go off road on my mountain bike or my route takes me off the beaten track from my intended route.......

I do get a bit concerned about having an accident and ending up in a ditch unconscious !

Has anyone tried a tracking service via a mobile phone so is this was to happen I could be located.

Many thanks for your time and kind regards

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2009, 13:56   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
re: Mobile Phone Tracking

Nokia Sports Tracker, I use it when I go cross country.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 13:57   #3
bjorkiii

Services: 20 meg
Re: Mobile Phone Tarcking

Surely its Tracking
Old 25-08-2009, 14:03   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Mobile Phone Tracking

Corrected the typo in the title

Mobile phone tracking only tends to work in areas where your signal can access more than a couple of masts. In rural areas (especially varying height terrain) you might only get access to one mast and hence is untrackable.

I use SmartCom GPS on my little nokia with a bluetooth gps which as well as giving me a track file can be set to send my location to an SMS number at varying intervals..

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Keep on topic please!!!
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 14:10   #5
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Corrected the typo in the title

Mobile phone tracking only tends to work in areas where your signal can access more than a couple of masts. In rural areas (especially varying height terrain) you might only get access to one mast and hence is untrackable.

I use SmartCom GPS on my little nokia with a bluetooth gps which as well as giving me a track file can be set to send my location to an SMS number at varying intervals..

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Keep on topic please!!!
Problem is I only have a very basic phone a Nokia 2760

Regards

Mike
Old 25-08-2009, 14:17   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Problem is I only have a very basic phone a Nokia 2760

Regards

Mike

The problem is that unless the phone can use GPS (either via an inbuilt chip or external receiver), or can attach to three or more masts (which is needed for network triangulation), then such a service would not be able to determine your position.

As Kymmy noted if you are in the country (or high up) your phone is unlikely to be able to attach to enough mobile phone masts, so GPS might be your only option.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 14:25   #7
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road

I used to use something called 'mobile gmaps' you download the maps area you want to ur phone then use a Bluetooth gps device For under 20 quid and it can broadcast ur position to the web, all free.
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 14:47   #8
Mike
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd11 View Post
I used to use something called 'mobile gmaps' you download the maps area you want to ur phone then use a Bluetooth gps device For under 20 quid and it can broadcast ur position to the web, all free.
Can I down load to a Nokia 2760?

Thanks

Mike
Old 25-08-2009, 15:33   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Try it..

Go to http://wap.mgmaps.com/ on your phone, or http://www.mgmaps.com on a computer.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 15:49   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Can I down load to a Nokia 2760?

Thanks

Mike
As it's an old series 40 phone I'm not sure that you can
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 16:16   #11
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

If Money is no object then try http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/spot-gps/index.html or there are a few cheaper GPS SMS alert systems out there.
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote