Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Flashed by a speed camera

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

My son's going to France

Old 16-06-2010, 19:38   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
My son's going to France

An opportunity has arisen for my 14yr old son to go to france for a week with his aunty and her partner and a foster child ,i have agreed to let him go but am unsure as to how much spending money to give him not having been abroad myself i am unfamiliar with prices and cost .
The trip is for a week which will include 2 days at disney land paris already paid for ,the rest of the week will be spent sightseeing paris and camping ,so any help/suggestions regarding spending money would be appreciated from the more travelled members
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2010, 20:05   #2
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Re: My sons going to france

Is everything already included like food and drinks, and I assume he will always have an adult with him so no running off and buying tat.

I think £25 a day is plenty, my daughter went for a week earlier this year and this is the figure she said is do-able, 'they were required to pay for their own evening meal twice, away from the adults but still under supervision to get a grown up stuff experience, and to budget'

How much is the other child taking? you may need to ask as it helps to be equal.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 20:19   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: My son's going to France

Is his aunt your Sister, or Sister In-law?

£25 a day should be more than enough.

In a couple of years I'll take my sister kids (9 & 6) with me when I go on holiday when the youngest is about 9.

When we go away we always get a larger caravan (4 - 6 berth), even though there are only 3 of us going, as it allows for others to turn up.

So I won't take cash off her for the caravan, but I would only take a minimum for food and trips out. (As a uncle I can spoil them, can't I?).
Old 16-06-2010, 20:23   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: My sons going to france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
Is everything already included like food and drinks, and I assume he will always have an adult with him so no running off and buying tat.

I think £25 a day is plenty, my daughter went for a week earlier this year and this is the figure she said is do-able, 'they were required to pay for their own evening meal twice, away from the adults but still under supervision to get a grown up stuff experience, and to budget'

How much is the other child taking? you may need to ask as it helps to be equal.
Thanks for the reply Wayfair ,essentially the holiday is selfcatering in the chalet on the campsite (i will find out the name of the campsite from my sister in law)so the adults will be incharge of buying food and i daresay there will be some eating out .my wife and i thought about £35 a day given to my sister in law to keep and give him as needed .Yes the adults will be present most of the time but will allow a few hours where the 2 kids can go off on their own (not too far of course)to give them a good experience
Old 16-06-2010, 21:07   #5
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

about 30 euros a day would be more then plenty, he's too young to drink (saying that the french dont care about that) not allowed to smoke. so what other then food and gifts is he going to spend money on?
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 21:17   #6
martyh

thanks for all your help guys we seem to be decided on between £25-30 per day ,he is quite sensible with money and takes after his mother for bargain hunting so he should be alright ,it should be a good first trip abroard for him ,wish i had the chance when i was young

He will however insist on everybody speaking English as he hates french lessons at school
Old 16-06-2010, 21:24   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
He will however insist on everybody speaking English as he hates french lessons at school
Proper Queens English or "Pigeon I'm shouting 'cos that'll make this foreigner understand me English"
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 21:41   #8
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Proper Queens English or "Pigeon I'm shouting 'cos that'll make this foreigner understand me English"
oh definately "shouty chav speak" mixed with a blank stare
Old 16-06-2010, 21:48   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

That's pretty much guaranteed to ensure nobody wants to help him out. If he tries his best with the language, the locals will generally be a little more co-operative. Even in France.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 21:53   #10
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's pretty much guaranteed to ensure nobody wants to help him out. If he tries his best with the language, the locals will generally be a little more co-operative. Even in France.
seriously though i suspect he would find using the language in its natural way rather than a classroom once a week much more interesting and possibly more educating ,which is part of the reason why i allowed him to go
Old 16-06-2010, 21:57   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

He certainly will, and he will find that when he really has to do it, he knows a fair bit more than he thinks. I dropped French after two years of studying it, considering myself to be utterly hopeless, but even I can get around Paris without too much hassle.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 22:09   #12
martyh

Quote:
He certainly will, and he will find that when he really has to do it, he knows a fair bit more than he thinks. I dropped French after two years of studying it, considering myself to be utterly hopeless, but even I can get around Paris without too much hassle.
thats reasuring to know Chris
Old 16-06-2010, 22:50   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

To be honest my attempting to say the plesentaries (Good Morning/afternoon/evening, hello, please, thank you, goodbye etc) you cannot go wrong.

In Holland I was told, it is better to speak English, rather than Dutch or Flemish as if you are in the wrong region and speak the other I was told they would appear not to understand.
Old 16-06-2010, 23:22   #14
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Im almost fluent in French so it's not a major problem but if you make the effort with the language the locals are way more likely to be amenable if they can - especially in France. Most of them reluctantly speak English.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 23:47   #15
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
To be honest my attempting to say the plesentaries (Good Morning/afternoon/evening, hello, please, thank you, goodbye etc) you cannot go wrong.

In Holland I was told, it is better to speak English, rather than Dutch or Flemish as if you are in the wrong region and speak the other I was told they would appear not to understand.
Thats odd as its the same language
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote