Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | It all about the Math.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

It all about the Math.

Old 31-01-2012, 11:28   #1
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
It all about the Math.

Sky World+HD+Multiroom= RRP £72 Minimum (Monthly) (£864 yearly)

VirginmediaXL+Multiroom+Skysports/Movies+HD =RRP £76.50 Minimum (Monthly) (£918 yearly)

Freeview + Netlfix+DNS Tweak to access the US version of Netflix =RRP £6 (Monthly) (£72 yearly)
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2012, 11:35   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: It all about the Math.

Whatever suits your budget I suppose , personally cant see it being too long before Netflix close that loophole.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:41   #3
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Whatever suits your budget I suppose , personally cant see it being too long before Netflix close that loophole.
Its a loophole that does not harm Netflix, I use a DNS tweak to watch Hulu+ Netflix US, Get the UFC app on my xbox etc etc. If closing the "loophole" results in 10's of thousands of UK, Canadian, Australian, ,New Zeleanders and many many other countrys canceling there Netflix sub......................... Well Idoubt they are in a hurry to block it.

Also to effectively block it users would need Geo locked HARDWARE, with different chips/hardware or region key. Netflix is years old and people have been watching the US version for a long time.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Its a loophole that does not harm Netflix, I use a DNS tweak to watch Hulu+ Netflix US, Get the UFC app on my xbox etc etc. If closing the "loophole" results in 10's of thousands of UK, Canadian, Australian, ,New Zealanders and many many other countrys canceling there Netflix sub......................... Well Idoubt they are in a hurry to block it.
Old 31-01-2012, 12:20   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

You need to factor in the cost of the internet connection for Netflix

(pet peeve: unless you're American, it's "maths" not "math")

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 12:26   #5
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
You need to factor in the cost of the internet connection for Netflix

(pet peeve: unless you're American, it's "maths" not "math")
I disagree, You pay for Sky/Virgin TV to watch the channels. I do not pay for my internet to watch Netflix.

So take away Netflix I will still pay for my internet, take away the channels you won't carry on paying for your TV subs. So internet does not need to be factored in unless you get the internet purely to watch Netflix
Old 31-01-2012, 13:17   #6
kingll
cf.member

Services: Tivo & V+HD, 1 Phone, 100Mb Broadband
kingll will become famous soon enoughkingll will become famous soon enoughkingll will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
I disagree, You pay for Sky/Virgin TV to watch the channels. I do not pay for my internet to watch Netflix.

So take away Netflix I will still pay for my internet, take away the channels you won't carry on paying for your TV subs. So internet does not need to be factored in unless you get the internet purely to watch Netflix
But you do need your internet to watch Netflix is it not? So it has to be factored in.

You also haven't done like for like, as in where is your sports package and where is the multiroom?

I do understand what your trying to say but the last package is not the same as the Virgin/sky packages.
kingll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:33   #7
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingll View Post
But you do need your internet to watch Netflix is it not? So it has to be factored in.

You also haven't done like for like, as in where is your sports package and where is the multiroom?

I do understand what your trying to say but the last package is not the same as the Virgin/sky packages.
Multiroom simply needs a connected media player, TV or device. The American version of Netflix compares very well to SkyMovies considering price difference.

Obviously its not a solution for everyone but in these increasingly tough times its becoming an option for more and more people. It streams HD with 5.1 sound and the US version has movie we cant even buy in Bluray yet. All for £6 a month.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingll View Post

Multiroom simply needs a connected media player, TV or device. The American version of Netflix compares very well to SkyMovies considering price difference.

Obviously its not a solution for everyone but in these increasingly tough times its becoming an option for more and more people. It streams HD with 5.1 sound and the US version has movies we cant even buy on Bluray yet. All for £6 a month.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:39   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

So you don't count multiroom in the Sky calculation because of a "work around", but count it in the VM package - why couldn't the same "work around" be used there, reducing the cost in line with Sky?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:43   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Its a loophole that does not harm Netflix, I use a DNS tweak to watch Hulu+ Netflix US, Get the UFC app on my xbox etc etc. If closing the "loophole" results in 10's of thousands of UK, Canadian, Australian, ,New Zealanders and many many other countrys canceling there Netflix sub......................... Well Idoubt they are in a hurry to block it.
It's a loophole that may cause Netflix's content providers to move to streaming services that protect their content better. So, yes, it is in Netflix's interest to close that loophole.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 14:06   #10
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So you don't count multiroom in the Sky calculation because of a "work around", but count it in the VM package - why couldn't the same "work around" be used there, reducing the cost in line with Sky?
The Sky calculation includes multiroom

Skyworld £52, SkyHD pack £10, Sky Multiroom £10 total £72.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's a loophole that may cause Netflix's content providers to move to streaming services that protect their content better. So, yes, it is in Netflix's interest to close that loophole.
Well, I can get HBO, HULU+ etc etc and I know people in the US, Australia etc streaming Skygo off a relatives multiroom sub to 2 devices.

I think people simply stealing the content from download sites is a bigger issue. Netflix pay studios for rights for certain countries, Sky pay the same studios for rights to other countries.

If anything it will be Sky losing out, not the film studios. EG Sky have the Ondemand rights for Ironman2 for the next year. I can watch it on Netflix in HD 5.1 sound right now instantly.

Now that works for me..An if you want to tell me I'm breaking a ToS TOUGH. Go tell everyone that downloaded IronMan2 they have stolen it and have broken the law.

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Well, I can get HBO, HULU+ etc etc and I know people in the US, Australia etc streaming Skygo off a relatives multiroom sub to 2 devices.

I think people simply stealing the content from download sites is a bigger issue. Netflix pay studios for rights for certain countries, Sky pay the same studios for rights to other countries.

If anything it will be Sky losing out, not the film studios. EG Sky have the Ondemand rights for Ironman2 for the next year. I can watch it on Netflix in HD 5.1 sound right now instantly.

Now that works for me..An if you want to tell me I'm breaking a ToS TOUGH. Go tell everyone that downloaded IronMan2 they have stolen it and have broken the law.
Old 31-01-2012, 22:08   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Sky World+HD+Multiroom= RRP £72 Minimum (Monthly) (£864 yearly)

VirginmediaXL+Multiroom+Skysports/Movies+HD =RRP £76.50 Minimum (Monthly) (£918 yearly)

Freeview + Netlfix+DNS Tweak to access the US version of Netflix =RRP £6 (Monthly) (£72 yearly)
Strange....

When I go to the VM site, I get a different figure from you - can I ask how you arrived at £76.50?

I get £69.50 (which includes ESPN, unlike the Sky offering), for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newtocableVM.jpg (202.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18   #12
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Monthly cost
Your bundle

£30.50

Your extras

£46.00
Total

£76.50
One-off cost

£49.95

Your services
TV XL
TV extras
TiVo Service
ESPN
Additional V HD Box - HD activated
Sky Sports & Movies Collection
Sky Premium HD

Yes you get ESPN with Virginmedia but you get extras on Sky also but this is not the Sky v Virgin thread you seem to be trying very hard to turn it into.

I understand you are some kind of one man Virginmedia defense force but I really don't care. I was just pointing out for £6 a month Netflix is great value when compared to large companies like Sky, or even the small players like Virgin.
Old 01-02-2012, 16:01   #13
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Factor in the upcoming price rise for XLtv your looking at £78+ for VM a month
Old 01-02-2012, 16:04   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

How come you get a different price to the one I get from the VM website?

I get £39.50 for the "your extras". as shown on screen print.
Old 01-02-2012, 16:58   #15
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
How come you get a different price to the one I get from the VM website?

I get £39.50 for the "your extras". as shown on screen print.
Because you didn't add the "Premium HD" pack which gives Movies and Sports in HD. Its included in the Sky HD pack. But seperate on Virginmedia.

Also if you include ESPN on Sky it would come to £80 because ESPN is discounted if you have Skysports so you would pay £1 more with Sky but get lots more channels eg

Atlantic
ESPN America HD

ITV2HD ITV3.........................................Ha! I'm not going downt hat route, this is simply a thread to highlight Netflix as an option/Alternative.