Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Old 13-05-2011, 00:35   #1
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Superhub & Virgin Media Business

I am aware that Virgin Media Business are about to revamp their (outdated!) business cable broadband offerings to include a 50 Mb/s service shortly.

They will also offer a proper static IP address option (single or multiple address options).

All sounds great but they plan to use the Superhub to do this. In order to provide the Fixed IP addresses they will use the Superhub to form a L2TP tunnel into the Virgin media network. They have testers doign this now I gather.

Given that I want to upgrade from the 10 Mb/s VMB service to the 50 Mb/s one I am nervous about the Superhub replacing a rock solid stable Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 modem.

They will be offering a 'NO NAT' option whereby the LAN side of the Superhub will have a public routable IP address, hwoever to run the tunnel is going to put more of a load on the device.

I read with interest Ingi's experiences of his Superhub needing multiple reboots per day, and don't look forward to havign to do that.

Reading various posts here I know there are some that have no problems with the Superhub, but others do, especially when stressing it more. Given the extra configuration & load to operate the tunnel I am concerned about stability.

I assume that negotiations with this mystery new supplier of superhubs are too early for VMB to be using a version other than the Netgear.

However given that there will be a NO NAT option as well as tunning options this implies somethign about these Superbhubs will be different to those used for residential service.

Does anyone have any more insight into what will be used?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2011, 08:50   #2
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age
Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

The modem is of course a slightly different model, but I'm not sure on the restrictions around sharing information on it, so will check before I post more.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 17:36   #3
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Thanks Nopanic it would be good to know whatever you are able to share, as currently the reports I am reading here abou tthe Superhub will put me off taking the new business services, as I can't take a risk with stability.

However if this is a different model device that could give me additional confidence!
Old 13-05-2011, 19:13   #4
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Thanks Nopanic it would be good to know whatever you are able to share, as currently the reports I am reading here abou tthe Superhub will put me off taking the new business services, as I can't take a risk with stability.

However if this is a different model device that could give me additional confidence!
I wasn't able to get an answer today, but to be honest business connections bring with them an extra level of response. Saying that, I totally understand your concerns.

I will try again on Monday, if Ben or Dan is about, they might be able to share more info on it.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 06:38   #5
ccarmock
cf.geek

Were you able to get the OK to share some information on this with us?
Old 02-06-2011, 22:14   #6
ccarmock
cf.geek

I guess the answer is no :-)

Originally expecting the new services to be launched on 31st May, when calling I was told further delays - of approx 3 weeks. Hopefully this isn't due to issues with the business version of the Superhub!
Old 02-06-2011, 23:03   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Igni also reports that in Bridge Mode his SH works perfectly and he has a decent router sitting behind it.

The replacement brand SH will be from a top notch supplier. The clue was in Igni's revalation!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:10   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

The replacement brand SH will be from a top notch supplier. The clue was in Igni's revalation!
It is not a replacement actually we are having dual manufacturers of the same device with the same performance and interface to ensure that we have no issues with providing stock.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:12   #9
ccarmock
cf.geek

It will not be possible to use the Business fixed IP service in a bridge mode, since the router VM supply needs to for an L2TP tunnel into the VM network.

I understood that the Business service would use different hardware, as the current Superhub doesn't have L2TP capabilities.
Old 02-06-2011, 23:20   #10
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
It is not a replacement actually we are having dual manufacturers of the same device with the same performance and interface to ensure that we have no issues with providing stock.
VM have actually specified they want something with wonky wifi and routing issues?
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:20   #11
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
same frontend, but likely different backend code. so same featureset but with different underlying code delivering thsoe features. At the very least there will be netgear's brand removed from the advanced pages.

possibly also different underlying chipset to deliver the features, although on paper it will be same features like 4xgigabit port it wouldnt surprise me if the wireless chipset is changed at the very least.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:25   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
VM have actually specified they want something with wonky wifi and routing issues?
LOL

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Its bad enough handing out SA v+ boxes " But I want a samsung, waaa waaa" now it will be "I want a cisco superhub waaaaaaa"
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:29   #13
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Aye. I can see people calling india, telling them their hub is faulty and getting a new one shipped. Repeat process until you are lucky enough to get the new one.

One good thing about offshore, they are more than happy to send out new kit at the drop of a hat just to get rid of you.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:31   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Business support is purely UK..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:34   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
LOL

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Its bad enough handing out SA v+ boxes " But I want a samsung, waaa waaa" now it will be "I want a cisco superhub waaaaaaa"
The will be very little difference and both will offer the same performance and identical interface.

You will be issued them side by side from central stores and you are to replace them or fit them on a first box that gets picked up system.

If we send out a replacement then the first box within reach of the picker will be the one sent out and it has been designed this way to prevent picking and choosing.

It is not a Cisco box either.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Aye. I can see people calling india, telling them their hub is faulty and getting a new one shipped. Repeat process until you are lucky enough to get the new one.
Little point they are using the same software and interface and will perform identically.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote