Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Flashed by a speed camera

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Flashed by a speed camera

Old 26-10-2006, 16:21   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Flashed by a speed camera

Afternoon,

This morning on the way to work, I was flashed by a speed camera.

It was going up the West Cross Route towards the A40 in London - if you know it!

I'm sure there is a sign just before it that says 50mph.

My satnav warned me it was there.

I've been past it about 6 times in the last two weeks.

What speed was I doing? Between 39mph - 41mph.

There was no other cars near me at the time.

What do you think will happen??
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2006, 16:25   #2
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Flashed by a speed camera

There is a 1 in 4 chance, you will get a NIP. (Notice of Intended Prosecution).
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 16:26   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

A driving ban for driving too slowly
Seriously, iirc (not an expert) the stills are checked by hand before being sent out - hopefully that will show your correct speed (against the road markings).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 16:27   #4
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
There is a 1 in 4 chance, you will get a NIP. (Notice of Intended Prosecution).

For doing 39 - 41mph in a 50mph?

I'm going to get a photo of the camera and sign tomorrow!

But - why did it flash me? I thought they were only set-off when a speed is exceded?
Old 26-10-2006, 16:34   #5
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Are you sure there are no temporary speed restrictions in force?

Did the camera flash twice in quick succession did you notice this?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 16:36   #6
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

In my experience - nothing will happen. I've been flashed by static speed cameras a few times (whilst being under the speed limit) in both North Wales and in Liverpool on the M62. I've yet to receive a ticket. Although I'm not sure why they do this
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 16:36   #7
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

They flash occasionaly when there is nobody around, i think it may be to calibrate itself.
I was at the end of the M62 yesterday morning in stationary traffic and the camera flashed twice in a minute.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 16:39   #8
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop101 View Post
They flash occasionaly when there is nobody around, i think it may be to calibrate itself.

Never knew that...any documentation of that anywhere?
Old 26-10-2006, 17:25   #9
Scarlett
Inactive

Scarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Scarlett

I've had this happen to me a number of times, nothing will happen as you were below the speed limit at the time.

Some times they pick up something that makes them think that there is a speeding car. It imght be a bird or reflection off some glass nearby. In any case. They will not take you to court because as mentioned by Aragorn, they are checked before they issue a NIP.

One near us can't cope in the fog. I went passed it about a year ago in the fog and it was firing off every minute or so.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 17:40   #10
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

I think its 14 days.. after this point they cannot do anything.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 17:45   #11
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

They have 14 days from the date of the offence to ISSUE a notice of intended prosecution (it may take longer for you to receive it). If you do receive one and you were in fact below the limit, you have an absolute defence and the CPS would drop it immediately if notified. No court would ever convict you.

Cheshire police once told me they often set "empty" cameras to flash below the speed limit to encourage people to go even slower still. What moral right the police have to do this is unclear...if they think the speed limit is too high there are appropriate channels. This sort of behaviour by the police can cause accidents.
Old 26-10-2006, 17:46   #12
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Never knew that...any documentation of that anywhere?
I can't find the info that I saw a couple of years ago now I also read that they flash to fool people into thinking they are active when they have no film in them.
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 18:33   #13
injuneer
Inactive

injuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to behold

They can sometimes be set off by cars going in the opposite direction as well. We have one near me that has the calibration markings on both sides of the road, one set approaching the camera from the front and the usual set behind the camera. Traffic from both directions trigger it. I know there are some cameras designed to do this but I did read somewhere that is illegal to flash oncoming traffic because it may temporarily blind the driver. I think the markings on the approaching side were put there to frighten people.
injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 18:44   #14
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Yes, oncoming cameras are a different design, quite distinctive in fact. they don't flash, they use something else.

And then there's SPECS cameras, which are different again...the average speed check ones.
Old 26-10-2006, 19:05   #15
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

I wouldn't worry if you were under the limit, the one not far from my house was flashing everyone in the 40MPH limit about 2 weeks ago.

We were all in traffic moving about 15MPH.