Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 23-11-2014, 06:34   #5221
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Now Andy you must take one of those pills you are supposed to take every day.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:30   #5222
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I said we were "beyond the stage" where we should agree to disagree - it's quite clear we're not going to win each other round, so I didn't see much point in continuing. I don't think the discussion descended into anything other than respectful debate and when I offered sincere thanks for the discussion I meant it.

The irony of the piece is that the news of the latest price increases have spurred me into action, and I have a deal in place with another provider that to be honest better suits what I want at a price I'm happy with and a superb cash back referral. Ideally I'd be cutting the cord, but I tried unsuccessfully to convince the Mrs this time last year and not much has changed. I'm hoping that after the 18 month contract is finished I'll be able to make a convincing case for relying on a mix of streaming services, but we'll see.

So after everything in the last few pages I'll be phoning Virgin tomorrow to give them them a choice between fighting for my business or cancelling my services with them. I contacted them earlier and was offered TV M for free on top of broadband and phone, keeping the TiVo as effectively a smart(ish) freeview+hd box - but actually their broadband is a good £10 or so more expensive than other providers in my area and I'd be spending another £10-15 on streaming services so wouldn't actually see that much of a saving. Now that I finally have FTTC in my area, I have options outside of the big two, which hasn't always been the case.

Shame as I've enjoyed being a Virgin customer, but TiVo no longer holds the pull for me it once did when suggestions was still a working feature and I stand by what I've said earlier in this thread - you can't complain about what private companies charge for their services, because they're not necessities - you either pay it or you don't.
Who's the provider you have a deal in place with ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 10:50   #5223
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I think these recent price rises indicate a near two-tier pricing structure and this applies to most providers, not just VM. Reduced prices for those who haggle and increased prices for those who do not with an increasing difference between the two.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:17   #5224
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Who's the provider you have a deal in place with ?
TalkTalk, with £135 cashback and graduated offers over the next 3, 6 and 12 months, but I haven't pressed submit yet, and I've just been alerted to the 12 month 50% offer for Virgin switchers to Sky on the price rise thread so I now have a couple of options, one which is paired down and probably closer to what I really need, which really isn't the 200+ channels I have now, and one which is closer to what I currently have with the full sports and hd stuff at £35 cheaper a month than I'm currently paying. £20 a month more expensive than the TalkTalk offer still, and full of channels I will never watch, but I'd be sorted for F1 in hd for another year.

Of course, £65 a month is a bargain for Sky+HD, family pack, Sky Sports HD, anytime calls and 40mb fibre broadband and doesn't quite chime with the assertion that we have to pay more than anybody else in the World to watch top level sport, especially when Virgin want £40 for the equivalent phone and broadband products alone, but like I've always said, if you think it's too much and continue to pay it then that's down, solely, to you.

I'm quite looking forward to speaking to retentions tomorrow - they're shut today - and I'm open to staying because I know what I'm getting, I know it works and I know I like it, plus I won't have to arrange engineers visits etc, but right at this moment I think they're going to have to work quite hard to keep me.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think these recent price rises indicate a near two-tier pricing structure and this applies to most providers, not just VM. Reduced prices for those who haggle and increased prices for those who do not with an increasing difference between the two.
Absolutely, with the minority of people who shop around effectively subsidised by the majority of people who just let it slide. The business model works for the providers, but it's important for consumers to take some personal responsibility and make sure they're in the right tier.
Old 24-11-2014, 17:38   #5225
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Phoned Virgin. They can increase my broadband speed to 152mb and leave me with xl everything plus Sky Sports in hd for £80pm rising to £90pm at some point during the contract. Let's face it, that's not a bad deal, but it's not as good as available elsewhere, and it's a lot more than I need, so I've cancelled. I felt a distinct lack of effort to keep me, which was instrumental in my decision.
Old 24-11-2014, 18:37   #5226
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Phoned Virgin. They can increase my broadband speed to 152mb and leave me with xl everything plus Sky Sports in hd for £80pm rising to £90pm at some point during the contract. Let's face it, that's not a bad deal, but it's not as good as available elsewhere, and it's a lot more than I need, so I've cancelled. I felt a distinct lack of effort to keep me, which was instrumental in my decision.
I think this very early on, VM won't go out of its way to offer deals. However, if a lot of people do jump ship then I can see VM being more generous. At this stage, it does not know how many people will defect.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 18:39   #5227
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Really hope wherever you decide to go with works out for you. The yearly percentage price increases have been high for the last few years now and are becoming beyond a joke.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 22:52   #5228
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
That is a superb deal TBH.

I make that about £25 off the web price at £80 a month.

I'm in the same boat and looking around.

Best i can see is half price £34 full Sky package for TV for VM customers who switch

and BT Fibre with BT Sports for 26+17 line rental

Sum total £77.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:42   #5229
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Really hope wherever you decide to go with works out for you. The yearly percentage price increases have been high for the last few years now and are becoming beyond a joke.
You've hit the nail on the head with that. Above inflation price increases for the last 3 years. People will forget all the additions we got in 2013 which at the time compensated for the price increases.

In 2014 our prices have gone up above inflation and we really haven't got anything to show for it. So i can only imagine VM are doing this to increase profits. Which whilst is a sensible business decision its going to p*ss people off in the long run and push people away.

With the prices having gone up surely they could have afforded sky atlantic by now....(haha just trying to stir it up)
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 09:46   #5230
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
You've hit the nail on the head with that. Above inflation price increases for the last 3 years. People will forget all the additions we got in 2013 which at the time compensated for the price increases.

In 2014 our prices have gone up above inflation and we really haven't got anything to show for it. So i can only imagine VM are doing this to increase profits. Which whilst is a sensible business decision its going to p*ss people off in the long run and push people away.

With the prices having gone up surely they could have afforded sky atlantic by now....(haha just trying to stir it up)
We should have had SA by now given the hefty price rises year on year and frankly many are fed up with the excuses they keep giving.
Old 26-11-2014, 12:31   #5231
andy_m
cf.mega poster

For those interested I'm back! Had a phone call today from Virgin having given thirty days notice on Monday. Offered me my current package (TV XL, TiVo, V+HD, Sky Sports HD, anytime phone, 50mb broadband) at £64 per month, and it's protected from the February increase, for a new 12 month contract.

That's 40p cheaper than the Sky half price offer (Sky+HD, Family HD pack, Sky Sports HD, unlimited fibre broadband, anytime calls, but no second stb).

It also means I keep the channels I would have lost by going to TalkTalk (BT Sport and the HD channels being the only real concern).

And it leaves me with multi-room for upstairs which I was something I still hadn't decided how to resolve.

So I signed back up! Until this time next year...!
Old 26-11-2014, 12:38   #5232
denphone
Still alive and fighting

We will be phoning in the next couple of days as our contract has ended and we will be hoping that we can get a reasonable new deal as loyalty can only take you so far and we have been loyal for a very very long time.
Old 28-11-2014, 11:44   #5233
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Bizasia: Eurosport UK renews CLT20 cricket deal.

Eurosport has retained the UK/Europe rights for cricket’s Champions League Twenty 20 (CLT20) for the next three years.

http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/eu...0-cricket-deal
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 12:23   #5234
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
We will be phoning in the next couple of days as our contract has ended and we will be hoping that we can get a reasonable new deal as loyalty can only take you so far and we have been loyal for a very very long time.
You seem a bit hacked off, Denphone. Is there anything in particular that you are concerned about? You seemed quite happy last year when they added all the missing channels that were worth having (apart from the channel that should not be named on here).

Is it the price? If so and you are still on the old packages, I think you will be pleased with what they may be able to offer you. I saved nearly £50 per month on my quad pack!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 12:46   #5235
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You seem a bit hacked off, Denphone. Is there anything in particular that you are concerned about? You seemed quite happy last year when they added all the missing channels that were worth having (apart from the channel that should not be named on here).

Is it the price? If so and you are still on the old packages, I think you will be pleased with what they may be able to offer you. I saved nearly £50 per month on my quad pack!
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35743706-post149.html