Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Downgraded services - tech calling to collect VHD box.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Help to get building connected to Virgin Media

Old 07-09-2011, 19:24   #1
Bliesner
Inactive

Bliesner is an unknown quantity at this point
Help to get building connected to Virgin Media

Hi all,

I am hoping to get in contact with someone from Virgin Media to assist in determining the viability of connecting my apartment building up to the fibre network.

The apartment building across the street (26 The Bittoms - KT1 2AE) has fibre access, but my building (KT1 2AN) aparently does not.

There are 85 apartments in my block, of which I would guess 50% would convert over to Virgin if there was a choice.

Here is a short video to how just how close we are to the CATV point:
http://vimeo.com/28723763

Thanks for making contact with me.

Andrew.
Bliesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2011, 19:34   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Help to get building connected to Virgin Media

check out this thread > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62...be-we-can.html

and this post within it > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35269912-post90.html

http://shop.virginmedia.com/check-your-postcode/

by the way its not hot, wear some shoes!
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 20:05   #3
Bliesner
Inactive

Thank you - that's great. I'll follow that up.
Old 07-09-2011, 20:18   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

no problem.

sorry I forgot about this, have a look here too > http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...elp/td-p/20585
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:28   #5
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to say this but I really think you have no chance of getting connected. The developer should have enabled VM when site was being developed, to get the cable into each flat would require MDU trunking put on the exterior of the apartment block and all second floor and above apartments would be non serve due to health and safety.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:59   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Hi Bliesner

Best drop an email to cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk and the team can respond directly to you.

Cheers

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:38   #7
Bliesner
Inactive

The building is actually cabled out for Sky, so my simplistic understanding is that Virgin just need to run a short length of cable from the CATV point out the front, to the main riser in the building and then terminate a box at each level. From there, it's a simple choice to connect the cabling that ALREADY exists from the power cupboard on each floor - to either 1) Sky or 2) Virgin.

If it were my business and that's all I had to do to obtain 40 or 50 new customers, I know what choice I would make.....

Anyway - hopefully someone from Virgin will formally contact me and make an appraisal.

Old 08-09-2011, 20:13   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Sky uses different cables.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 20:31   #9
Bliesner
Inactive

Well - Virgin called me today and it looks like it's not going to happen. The building owners should have had it cabled when it was under construction back in 2003, but did not. Instead they chose Sky.

Thanks for your input everyone, and all the best fighting your own instalation battles.

At least I tried....
Old 09-09-2011, 09:11   #10
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Yes unfortunately we cannot use the Sky distribution as carrying both satellite and cable signals from that amplifier point would cause massive interference. I believe we are looking at an option to use this type of cabling in future by injecting our own powered amplifier onto the line but this will be some time away I would imagine.

Also, the cable fitted will be just coax so only useful for CATV and Broadband, Telco will probably be fed through a lockbox exclusively used by BT so we couldn't piggy back that either. Cabling apartments after they are built is virtually impossible at the moment but as technology improves then hopefully this will change in future.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote