Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SHUB3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SHUB3

Old 06-10-2017, 15:36   #1
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
SHUB3

Hi guys, quick question, can the SHUB 3 be connected to a power strip, or does it have to be powered directly from the wall socket?

Thanks
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2017, 16:13   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: SHUB3

Power strip is OK for Hub 3.0. It's only powerlines that may have issues with power strips, especially if they have surge protection.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 16:30   #3
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Power strip is OK for Hub 3.0. It's only powerlines that may have issues with power strips, especially if they have surge protection.
Thanks mate, so unplugging the Hub 3 from the power source wont affect any settings, in other words, is it just a case of powering it up again and leaving it to set itself up, and all the V6 boxes etc will work as previously installed?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2017, 19:16   #4
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Thanks mate, so unplugging the Hub 3 from the power source wont affect any settings, in other words, is it just a case of powering it up again and leaving it to set itself up, and all the V6 boxes etc will work as previously installed?

Thanks.
You can certainly power off the Hub 3.0 and move it to a different socket and all will be the same as before.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 19:35   #5
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
You can certainly power off the Hub 3.0 and move it to a different socket and all will be the same as before.
Cheers for that......
Old 25-10-2017, 18:35   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Only had SHUB 3 a few weeks now, but I'm finding that the WiFi signal isn't as good as when I had the SHUB 2, it comes and goes, can anyone help or shed any light on what may be wrong?

Thx.
Old 26-10-2017, 00:36   #7
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Nobody??
Old 26-10-2017, 13:35   #8
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

As mentioned in your PM to me (you really should give people more time to respond :P), my advice if you're having wireless issues with any of the hubs is to just buy your own router.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 15:13   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Cheers for that, appreciate the replies.....
Old 26-10-2017, 20:47   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Nobody??
Patience ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 21:08   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Nobody??
As Kush said, if you want a router which performs flawlessly without any wireless issues, dns issues, random reboots etc etc then you need to buy a proper router because freebies don't cut it. I used to endorse Linksys but they have gone down hill over the last couple of years and Asus is now the bees knees. Something like this would be a great start. It has been a while since we had a thread like this so I'll say this for the benefit of everyone reading. Lots and lots of forum users ask for help with the shub and/or advice on buying a new router but I would say only ~15% follow through with it. After all, who wants to spend ~£85 on a piece of equipment which you think you can get for free? The problem is that free stuff isn't the best, it is made on the cheap, poorly tested and never works properly.

Shubs are "okay" for the average user but with everyone having multiple wired and wireless devices spread throughout their houses these days you need something which can handle the load and deliver the kind of performance you expect. Companies like Asus make routers which are £100+ for a reason. Myself and Kush have got Asus routers, we set them up, configure our settings and just leave them there. They always work 100% and I never have a need to access the gui because something is "playing up" or because there might a problem. I download a tonne of stuff, I play fps and host games, I stream a lot of content from servers across the network to TV's, I have two networks printers, many laptops/phones/tablets and everything works perfectly all the time because I chose to invest in the most critical component which creates and manages the network and that is the router.

Last edited by General Maximus; 26-10-2017 at 21:12.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 21:12   #12
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

I was on the trail for SuperHub 3, it was white at the time. Because of issues with Chormecast I was switched back to the SuperHub 2ac.

I've received an email offering me a new SH3 free of charge, the wifi on 2ac is great in my home, unsure if I should take up the offer?

I still have the white SH3 in a cupboard.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 21:38   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Only if you need the speed (download throughput) or are suffering from congestion issues. The biggest advantage of the shub3 (and the only one i can think of anyway) is the fact that it can use 24 downstream channels vs the 8 the shubs 1 and 2 can use. I have never had any speed issues and would have been quite happy staying with the shub2 however when i upgraded to 350mbits i had to have the shub 3 so i could use the 20 channels which are currently available to me. Trying do it with 8 would have meant i would have needed all 8 channels just for me.
Old 26-10-2017, 21:45   #14
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
As Kush said, if you want a router which performs flawlessly without any wireless issues, dns issues, random reboots etc etc then you need to buy a proper router because freebies don't cut it. I used to endorse Linksys but they have gone down hill over the last couple of years and Asus is now the bees knees. Something like this would be a great start. It has been a while since we had a thread like this so I'll say this for the benefit of everyone reading. Lots and lots of forum users ask for help with the shub and/or advice on buying a new router but I would say only ~15% follow through with it. After all, who wants to spend ~£85 on a piece of equipment which you think you can get for free? The problem is that free stuff isn't the best, it is made on the cheap, poorly tested and never works properly.

Shubs are "okay" for the average user but with everyone having multiple wired and wireless devices spread throughout their houses these days you need something which can handle the load and deliver the kind of performance you expect. Companies like Asus make routers which are £100+ for a reason. Myself and Kush have got Asus routers, we set them up, configure our settings and just leave them there. They always work 100% and I never have a need to access the gui because something is "playing up" or because there might a problem. I download a tonne of stuff, I play fps and host games, I stream a lot of content from servers across the network to TV's, I have two networks printers, many laptops/phones/tablets and everything works perfectly all the time because I chose to invest in the most critical component which creates and manages the network and that is the router.
Thanks very much for that, and I apologise for being so impatient! I'm no expert on anything like this, far from it actually, and I appreciate any advice given, I have been reading about homeplugs and how they improve your WiFi signal, in your opinion is this an acceptable method to increase the signal in areas of the house which are quite far from the SHUB 3 that have a weak signal? Are they a cheaper option than a router with the same results?

Thx
Old 26-10-2017, 23:48   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

It's a bit of a 50/50 tbh. I would personally take the view of killing two birds with one stone and go with buying a proper router. In addition to better wireless performance you are going to benefit in many other areas as well. That being said, if you live in a ginormous house one router/access point might not cut and this is where the homeplugs come in. They can "potentially" offer better speeds because they'll be closer to the devices they are serving but it may also backfire on you big time. Because they run over your electrical circuit the signal is prone to interference and other problems and sometimes the plugs randomly lose their connection etc and it can make troubleshooting any wireless connectivity issues with a client (e.g. your laptop) a pain in the ass.

I would personally buy a proper router (which won't be much more expensive than a set of homeplugs) and try it in the location where the shub is. If you don't think the wireless performance is good enough then you can always get some flat cat5e to run under the carpet downstairs/to another room so you can reposition the router to a more centralised location for optimal wireless connectivity.