Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

Old 09-05-2017, 16:05   #1
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

Are there any plans for more than 2 upstream channels to be bonded? Reason I ask is that I've noticed there are 4 upstream channels available in this area, although only 2x16QAM being bonded at any given time. These being:

25.8 MHz
32.6 MHz
39.4 MHz
46.2 MHz

I'm guessing that it's not going to be needed until upload speeds go higher? Although I think I remember 3 upstream channels being bonded when the WiFi sharing was originally released. Is that happening with the re-release of the WiFi sharing?

Last edited by Jon22; 09-05-2017 at 16:13.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2017, 17:07   #2
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road
Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?

With how bad Virgins upload speeds are I doubt they have any need.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 20:12   #3
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

About 18 months ago, some people did get a 3rd channel bonded (And possibly a few with 4?), around the time of the "first" Wi-fi rollout before they packed it in. However, it reverted back to just 2 when the rollout was cancelled.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:53   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

there were two things going on at the time. They were rolling out a third channel for the public wifi sharing and at the same time there were working on the modulation to try and squeeze more bandwidth out of each channel as they were also in the process of rolling out some new tiers with higher upstream speeds. Although we all went back down to 2 channels afaik everyone should have been on QAM64 (and nit 16) shortly afterwards (which makes it a long time ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
With how bad Virgins upload speeds are I doubt they have any need.
I can get 12mbits up any time of day any day of the week. My upstream is actually more consistent than my downstream.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:26   #5
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

As in you can get 250 with 30 in America and I know in some other country's the upload is far higher for what you get is my point.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:36   #6
olisun
cf.member

olisun is on a distinguished roadolisun is on a distinguished road

I got some weird modulation for my upstream channels.
Attached Images
File Type: png virgin-modem-upstream.png (33.0 KB, 58 views)
olisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:32   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

They should both be 64QAM, 32QAM is a fallback. The system will try to get the best modulation it can but if it encounters noise, it drops back - more reliable, but less bandwidth.

64QAM > 32QAM > 16QAM -> QPSK

I imagine if you reboot, it'll probably fix itself - but if you're not getting any errors, don't fret over it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 14:36   #8
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Although we all went back down to 2 channels afaik everyone should have been on QAM64 (and nit 16) shortly afterwards (which makes it a long time ago).
As far as I know, this area has only ever had 2 bonded at QAM16. But then it's only recently that the connection was moved to a new Cisco CMTS. Although the old CMTS should of been capable of QAM64 on the upstream, so perhaps something else is holding the move back?
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 23:09   #9
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
As far as I know, this area has only ever had 2 bonded at QAM16. But then it's only recently that the connection was moved to a new Cisco CMTS. Although the old CMTS should of been capable of QAM64 on the upstream, so perhaps something else is holding the move back?
Same here, I've been on 2 QAM16 for as long as I can remember. I guess it's, as you say, something else holding up QAM64 ?
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 23:20   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I thought everyone had been on qam64 for a long time. For a while i was on one qam64 and one qam16 but like i said, i am sure both of mine have been 64 for the best part of a year. You wouldnt think so when i post screen dumps to help people out because i repost ones i made about 3 years ago which is why i did anew one for this thread.
I am hoping that in November they'll announce 500mbits on docsis3.1 to start rolling out next year.
Old 11-05-2017, 00:08   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I thought everyone had been on qam64 for a long time. For a while i was on one qam64 and one qam16 but like i said, i am sure both of mine have been 64 for the best part of a year. You wouldnt think so when i post screen dumps to help people out because i repost ones i made about 3 years ago which is why i did anew one for this thread.
I am hoping that in November they'll announce 500mbits on docsis3.1 to start rolling out next year.
I've only ever been on qam16 according to my modem settings.
Old 11-05-2017, 00:34   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

it is a shame Igni isn't around to provide more info, I haven't seen him in ages.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:13   #13
philipp
Inactive

Services: vivid 200. 3 tivos with all main channels.
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was QAM 64 and then my ubr was changed/upgraded, Been on QAM 16 ever since.
philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 15:30   #14
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
it is a shame Igni isn't around to provide more info, I haven't seen him in ages.
He posts over on the VM Forums now and again.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 00:02   #15
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I've been on 4 upstream channels for nearly a year. 3 are on 64QAM and one still on 16QAM. VM were intending that customers should have upstream at 10% of downstream. To do that, they would need to add upstream capacity, hence 4 channels. But I'm still on 200/12 so I don't know where VM are with that.

Incidentally, if one channel is on 16QAM then that will drag the overall upstream capacity down. 16QAM has 4 bits per symbol & 64QAM has 6 bits per symbol. But because a data packet is split across all the upstream channels, it can only be reassembled at the bit density rate of the slowest channel.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote